Gardening Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok, i left myself open there. Obviously, i know what a fan does... lol but what's it's purpose on the plants?

Alright, I decided earlier this week I'd plant a garden this year. I bought all the plants and seeds on Monday and will be planting tomorrow. Looks like it's gonna be corn, 2 types of heirlooms tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, zucchini, yellow straightneck squash, orange bell, red bell pepper, Tabasco peppers, serrano peppers, watermelon, cantaloupe, tomatillo, Blue lake beans, snow peas, and some mixed greens. I've been watering the beds all week and cut down all the weeds already, so hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I'll have everything planted.

[COLOR= ]Clayton [/COLOR]7:02 pm
just post what does a fawn do?
so I can post the awesome link.

fondues.jpg

:D

also, before you know it you will want one of these...

Jack LaLanne?s Power Juicer? Official Site | As Seen on TV

I have the Power Juicer Pro, love it, but veggie's got expensive, and the cleanup got to be too much for the wife.

Sweet. Are you doing any starter plants?
The tomatoes, cucumber, all the peppers, yellow squash, and tomatillo were all plants I bought at home depot. The rest are seeds. One thing about here in CA is that I don't have to start that stuff indoors and can just go straight into the ground :). I got everything planted today, been outside since 2:30 this afternoon. The only thing I didn't plant is broccoli. I kinda ran out of room in the good places, so i gotta get out and see if i can squeeze it in between some other plants.

%2BX+Factor+Live+Show+9+Danyl+Johnson+backstage+with+number+one+fan+12-5-09+photo+cropped.jpg

Attachments

• %2BX+Factor+Live+Show+9+Danyl+Johnson+backstage+with+number+one+fan+12-5-09+photo+cropped.jpg
    %2BX+Factor+Live+Show+9+Danyl+Johnson+backstage+with+number+one+fan+12-5-09+photo+cropped.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 168
Sweet. I went out to water this evening and it looks like all of my seeds have sprouted since yesterday. The damn things are growing fast, some of the squash and corn plants were already an inch tall where yesterday there was nothing.

I dropped one of my trays and lost 4 rows of plants :( i still have more to re-plant them with but it sucks. bottom snapped in half on me when i was moving it to water it :(

Anyway, I got the outside half done today. my computer hands aren't tough and one more shovel full and i'd be blistered up.

2 rows about 18" apart and about 12' long, dug in 1 foot, turned, and then mounded up for the plant rows, all by hand.

Thank you glaciers for the pile of rocks. :/ (top right corner)

228348_10150197403900606_501130605_6935271_3290409_n.jpg

Got them angled a bit towards the sun too to help prevent leaning. top of the pic is basically due west

I'm planning to do 2 more rows just like that to the left (top is hoe'd in to the desired width)

Also got my rain barrel hooked up.
\
had my construction buddy throw a gutter on my shed for 50 bucks

247038_10150197409555606_501130605_6935324_3042286_n.jpg

Hose is supposed to be level. It looked it outside, but the picture makes it look downhill. Will need to revisit this again for a closer look.

And this was all after i mowed the lawn and weed-whacked.

Progressive day outside with a ton of exercise for me. And I feel good about myself for it and can't wait to literally eat the fruits of my labor.

Last edited:
I'm just kinda curious why you put the planting area smack in the middle of the lawn, or does the pic just make it look that way? It's crazy the shit you guys gotta go through in that climate to grow stuff. I put my seeds in the ground way after you and my stuff is already getting to a decent size. My rows of corn are almost a foot tall and the peas and beans are about the same size. The only thing that seems to be growing slowly is my watermelon and cantaloupe plants. Also, why'd you choose to do the rain barrel on the shed as opposed to the house?

It's kinda in the middle, yes, but its set back from the house a ways. It's the area that gets the most sun.

Keep in mind, it's not summer here yet. It's still mid 60's most days and mid 40s most nights.

Here's my crops:
248635_10150197435725606_501130605_6935514_6776720_n.jpg

I did the rain barrel on the shed for the simple fact that it's closer to the garden and i don't really have a good positioned spigot on the back side of my house. I have many pitches and most of them drain to the sides, which is outside of my gated fence.

There is one, but it's right on the patio and i don't really want it there, and can't block the oil fill, and plus my hose spigot is there to the left of the oil tank fill too.

42d1190410690-pict0764.jpg

Last edited:
Yea that's understandable about the barrel bcause it would get in the way. Just so you know though, there are a quite a few cool products on the market now that let you do something different than the traditional rain barrel. Check into the Rainwater HOG system if you ever want to do something on the house. They are flat and you can put them right up against the wall then cover the outside with a trellis or similar.

Those things are wicked expensive!
Yea they are, but they are pretty badass though. You can put them all kinds of places where you couldn't otherwise harvest rainwater. I went to a local green building company that does green roofs, living walls, rainwater systems, etc. and the guy was talking about how people have even used the HOGs as a fence/wall.

2/3 done turning now.... just have the middle to finish. Wanted to do it all today, but my blisters are crazy. lol need to rest em and pop em.

247590_10150200876700606_501130605_6971726_4224776_n.jpg

re-planted the 4 dropped rows.

249334_10150200875815606_501130605_6971707_3418273_n.jpg

I need to paint my deck at some point too :( Really want to just rip off the railings and do vinyl, but that's another thread.....

I dropped one of my trays and lost 4 rows of plants :( i still have more to re-plant them with but it sucks. bottom snapped in half on me when i was moving it to water it :(

Anyway, I got the outside half done today. my computer hands aren't tough and one more shovel full and i'd be blistered up.

2 rows about 18" apart and about 12' long, dug in 1 foot, turned, and then mounded up for the plant rows, all by hand.

Thank you glaciers for the pile of rocks. :/ (top right corner)

228348_10150197403900606_501130605_6935271_3290409_n.jpg

Got them angled a bit towards the sun too to help prevent leaning. top of the pic is basically due west

I'm planning to do 2 more rows just like that to the left (top is hoe'd in to the desired width)

Also got my rain barrel hooked up.
\
had my construction buddy throw a gutter on my shed for 50 bucks

247038_10150197409555606_501130605_6935324_3042286_n.jpg

Hose is supposed to be level. It looked it outside, but the picture makes it look downhill. Will need to revisit this again for a closer look.

And this was all after i mowed the lawn and weed-whacked.

Progressive day outside with a ton of exercise for me. And I feel good about myself for it and can't wait to literally eat the fruits of my labor.

You might get some water in your shed now with the gutter straps nailed through the shingles.

Back