Getting a Bike.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

For those who don't want to read that 48723648237482 page article, here's a good summary:
Do inexpensive DOT-approved helmets protect better than helmets than expensive Snell-approved helmets? The June 2005 Motorcyclist magazine addressed this controversy. That issue contains a detailed article on an extensive test that was conducted on 16 different motorcycle helmets, ranging from the $89.00 Z1R (wBW review) to the $700.00 Schuberth S1 (wBW review).​
Their conclusion is that the inexpensive, polycarbonate shell Z1R transferred an average of 152Gs to the head-form, vs. 211Gs of the Snell-approved Scorpion EXO-700.​
Also, the UK's RIDE magazine tested 28 helmets in the May 2005 issue. While the testing methodology was slightly different, they also found that the HJC AC-11 provided the second best impact absorption of the lot. Could it be that a motorcycle helmet doesn't necessarily have to be expensive to provide good protection?​
There's much, much more to the story, and we strongly suggest reading both articles and studying this subject before you buy your next helmet. One of the conclusions in the Motorcyclist magazine article is that a softer polycarbonate DOT-only approved helmet may provide the highest levels of protection.​

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

Good article.

assuming all is equal, i will still choose to pay for comfort, weight, and appearance. plus, i'm a brand name whore.

finally, i still believe in the theory that, "you get what you pay for".

well according to lab results, to get a helmet that will kill you is gonna run you somewhere around $700. paralyzed would cost anything less, and dead can also be free.

ride a motorcycle with a cheap helmet. you the first thing you will think about when someone gets close to hitting you is whether or not you have good enough gear.

don't second guess a helmet.

I wear an HJC CL-15 helmet. Its a cheaper ($130ish, more or less) helmet, but it fits me well, vents well, and its dot/snell approved. According to pretty much any review site you read, its the best helmet for the buck. Yes, you can get better, but its going to cost you many times more.

I didn't read anything in this thread but the original post, and I skimmed over a few answers.

Being an experienced certified motor mechanic and a licensed motorcycle roadracer, I've seen and dealt with Hyosungs hands-on, both in the shop and on the track. For the price, they are a very decent bike. I know several guys who race endurance with them, and don't have any problems with them. I've heard of them having issues, but have yet to see anything first-person be totally wrong with them.

In my opinion, get it. I'd sure rock one.

I wear an HJC CL-15 helmet. Its a cheaper ($130ish, more or less) helmet, but it fits me well, vents well, and its dot/snell approved. According to pretty much any review site you read, its the best helmet for the buck. Yes, you can get better, but its going to cost you many times more.

If your head hits something at 100mph, it will probably become dislodged from your body. Cheap helmet ftw.

ride a motorcycle with a cheap helmet. you the first thing you will think about when someone gets close to hitting you is whether or not you have good enough gear.

don't second guess a helmet.

I love showing up to the track with a muddy bike and closeout gear sitting on the line with all these kids with $1898968 bikes and gear then being first into the first turn and never looking back.^_^

I didn't read anything in this thread but the original post, and I skimmed over a few answers.

Being an experienced certified motor mechanic and a licensed motorcycle roadracer, I've seen and dealt with Hyosungs hands-on, both in the shop and on the track. For the price, they are a very decent bike. I know several guys who race endurance with them, and don't have any problems with them. I've heard of them having issues, but have yet to see anything first-person be totally wrong with them.

In my opinion, get it. I'd sure rock one.
thanks. they are very appealing to me. i love the looks and personally don't mind fixing and tightening things here and there. well im buying the 250 hyosung tomorrow. if i feel its not my style & performance that i want. ill sell and get a gxr 6** , hyosung 6** or a ninja 6**. I have good quality gloves, shoes, and Scorpion helmet. im looking into a summer body suit and one of the new Orgio Vests to go over it..

Seriously, I saw a guy today riding wearing a cotton button up, khaki's, flip flops, and no helmet.
But that wasn't even the worst of it.

A truck cuts him off in traffic, nearly causing him to wreck and surely have his life extinguished in the process. This obviously upset the GAP casual wear mannequin lookalike, since he proceeded to TAILGATE a FULL SIZE TRUCK on a MOTORCYCLE. Ya, that'll show him.
It'll be a miracle if that guy lives to the end of summer.

I sold my GSXR to a skinny white guy wearing chuck taylors, cargo shorts, no shirt, no gloves nothing. I sold all my gear to him for 1200 on top of the bike, and he only put on the helmet. He had barbwire tattoos, bleached hair, and ear piercings, if that matters....

Needless to say, he stalled it 9 times trying to get it out my driveway, I then had to ride it up for him because he couldn't get the hang of it. He ended up riding home, and well, I never heard from him again. probably died.

Texas is terrible. Helmets are optional, so no one ever wears a helmet. Its a rare thing.. "look! A biker with a helmet on!" Whats funny is, its cool to have a crotch rocket with an arai or shoei hanging off the side of it. Never on the fucker's head, but just hanging there looking cool.

Back