Going back to school

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
On top of that, if what you posted is correct, you are saving neither time nor money by doing it online. You are only gaining convenience. Alot of physical schools have online classes now to boot.

imho, you are sacrificing a lot to be able to take classes online at that specific school. i think if you go to a traditional school, or even a bigger college that does online degrees, you will get better financing, more networking connections, and get a better education. but thats is just my .02.

I don't have the time nor the wilpower to 'GO' to school. it won't happen. i'll get sick of it and stop going like i did last time. online is my only option at this point.

VERY few places offer a 100% online bba-> mba accelerated program.

I don't want a bachelors. it's useless to me. the mba is the only reason i'm going back.
None of the state schools seem to offer it.

I don't have the time nor the wilpower to 'GO' to school. it won't happen. i'll get sick of it and stop going like i did last time. online is my only option at this point.

VERY few places offer a 100% online bba-> mba accelerated program.

I don't want a bachelors. it's useless to me. the mba is the only reason i'm going back.
None of the state schools seem to offer it.

What's a bba? And don't you always need a undergraduate degree before you can get a graduate degree?

And I know for a fact a lot of decent schools offer online mba programs that can be ramped up. It really just depends on your credit load. If you have 2 years of school, and let's say all the credits transfer, I don't see why you can't finish the undergrad degree in a general studies whatever using extended learning(ie packet program) and online classes to subsidize the lack of will you have in a quick fashioned, ie (20 credit qtrs and summer qtr).

bba= bachelors of business administration.

yes, you need a bachelors in order to take a masters. This program basically ditches senior year of bachelors and gives your 1st semester graduate classes. think "AP" in high school for college credit.

i have 95 credits. mostly gen-ed and IT related classes.

well, i've officially 'withdrawn' from this school. my only option was to drop to 1/2 time... which means i'll be at it for 7 years, all the while the loan is collecting interest. F that.

back to the drawing board :(

My student loans raped me....er...are still raping me.

I drew $24K's, paid $26K's in the last 10 years, and I still owe $19K's......

I still can't figure out how they can charge like that...and get away with it.

damn, so many of my friends are moving out for their last two years of school and racking up debt/loans etc..

makes me happy to stay at home and pay cash for all of my schooling :)

so, B, any other places in mind?

B, you just need to hit the gym, shave, and marry rich. you're fucked unless you start laying the pipe on some cougar.

You should quit work and live off the loans and just crank through the classes like you're working 2 jobs.

Or you shoulda just stuck with it the first time since it was on our parents dime. Lesson learned kids.. :)

My loans don't even cover my school costs, let alone my life/house/car/etc.

I didn't finish the first time because the long and short of it is that i went to the wrong school and my HS guidance counciler was a stupid cunt.

I went in undeclared because she told me to.
I declared history 2nd semester
started getting into computers from typing (and losing) papers
declared IT 4th semster, spring of sophomore year
101 classes weren't available in the spring. had to wait to fall to start as everything basically had a pre req
as junior, taking classes with basically all freshmen got annoying real quick. Further, I wasn't really learning what I wanted to learn. I didn't want to be a software developer. I had NO interest in learning Cobol or C++ at all. I wanted to learn html/css/js/ and web programing langauges like asp, php, and even graphics stuff like flash and director (shockwave), and things of the sort. I then releaized i was going to be here for at least another 4 years because 98% of what i took before didn't count towards my current major. waste of money, waste of time. If my guidance councilor had told me this was going to happen, I might have actually made up my mind ahead of time and only had been 1 year behind instead of 2 and half.
Since i scoped the school out as undeclared, i never really looked into the computer programs. I basically went to a communications school, and their IT program was sincerely lacking.
Then i got home sick, turned into a drunkard, and just stopped going to class and said fuck it around spring break. I didnt go to one class from spring break on nor take a single final. I just lived at school and partied 7 days a week and dicked around online.
I got hooked up with ezra and importrides.com and started doing some content editing there.

I started east coast del sol shortly there after. That eventually turned into hondaswap.

So, everything happens for a reason. If I wasn't diking around online and was at class instead, hondaswap might never have existed.

After i came home, i went to a 9 month tech school about 6 months later. Got a job out of my required internship, and moved on up from there multiple times over the next 10 years. There was never any sense in going back to school to 'become a web programmer' when i WAS a 'web programmer'.

Now, i'm in a position where I'm not making a lot of money, but my job is pretty easy and has no fixed hours. I basically browser forums and ticket systems and help customers with their websites' SEO.... and it's 95% of the time basic stuff that I know inside and out. Some days are busy, but others are very slow. Which affords me time in between tickets/posts to study online at the same time. I'm looking at it as a now or never type deal. I doubt i'll be working here forever, but for the time being i'm poor, but comfortable. I've cut back on just about everything and im staying pretty even. It's keeping miles off my cars, and I get to sleep in which is good for me because i suck at sleeping at night.
Throwing in an online school into the mix to me seems like a now or never thing. I can do this for 3 more years.... but i can't do this forever. And going back, I really don't want to program any more.
I'm behind on a lot of things already, and likely will be skilled-out of it in 3 years time. Which is why making the move to management seems like the logical next step for me, and i can get it done at the same time that i'm working.

Got an equity in your house? Got some coins to sell? etc, Got anything you could get some money out of?

something still doesn't seem right though. i would just "apply" to a local school. have them review it and see what happens. all you lose is your time.

i need to re-explore my options. i have nothing but time now. most schools have already started spring semester, so its just a wait and find until august.

i need to re-explore my options. i have nothing but time now. most schools have already started spring semester, so its just a wait and find until august.

Not true - most schools have summer classes that start in May/June to help you get started as a non traditional student. That is what I take to keep my credits for my DPI License.

My loans don't even cover my school costs, let alone my life/house/car/etc.
Believe me you can get loans to cover everything while you go to school.
I didn't finish the first time because the long and short of it is that i went to the wrong school and my HS guidance counciler was a stupid cunt.

I went in undeclared because she told me to.
I declared history 2nd semester
started getting into computers from typing (and losing) papers
declared IT 4th semster, spring of sophomore year
101 classes weren't available in the spring. had to wait to fall to start as everything basically had a pre req
as junior, taking classes with basically all freshmen got annoying real quick. Further, I wasn't really learning what I wanted to learn. I didn't want to be a software developer. I had NO interest in learning Cobol or C++ at all. I wanted to learn html/css/js/ and web programing langauges like asp, php, and even graphics stuff like flash and director (shockwave), and things of the sort. I then releaized i was going to be here for at least another 4 years because 98% of what i took before didn't count towards my current major. waste of money, waste of time. If my guidance councilor had told me this was going to happen, I might have actually made up my mind ahead of time and only had been 1 year behind instead of 2 and half.
Since i scoped the school out as undeclared, i never really looked into the computer programs. I basically went to a communications school, and their IT program was sincerely lacking.
Your story sounds pretty similar to mine. However I didn't even have a guidance counselor to guide me anywhere. I started in the wrong direction all my own. I think you blaming your guidance counselor is a cop out.

I started off my first 2 years as a criminal justice major. I then decided to go to Computer Science. Guess how much transferred over? Guess how much math and science I all the sudden had to take? Ya, it took me 7 years to get a BS degree in CS but it was worth it. Instead of dropping out; which I wanted to do because I was living on campus partying all the time and didn't give a shit about school at that time; I pushed on. I got an internship programming. Today I'm an Engineering Manager at Symantec, a $13B company with 20,000 employees. Would I be where I'm at without my degree? Hell no, I would have never been hired in the first place. I'm now at a point where I need to further MY education to go up even higher. MBA is the next thing I want to do.
Then i got home sick, turned into a drunkard, and just stopped going to class and said fuck it around spring break. I didnt go to one class from spring break on nor take a single final. I just lived at school and partied 7 days a week and dicked around online.
I got hooked up with ezra and importrides.com and started doing some content editing there.

I started east coast del sol shortly there after. That eventually turned into hondaswap.

So, everything happens for a reason. If I wasn't diking around online and was at class instead, hondaswap might never have existed.

After i came home, i went to a 9 month tech school about 6 months later. Got a job out of my required internship, and moved on up from there multiple times over the next 10 years. There was never any sense in going back to school to 'become a web programmer' when i WAS a 'web programmer'.

Now, i'm in a position where I'm not making a lot of money, but my job is pretty easy and has no fixed hours. I basically browser forums and ticket systems and help customers with their websites' SEO.... and it's 95% of the time basic stuff that I know inside and out. Some days are busy, but others are very slow. Which affords me time in between tickets/posts to study online at the same time. I'm looking at it as a now or never type deal. I doubt i'll be working here forever, but for the time being i'm poor, but comfortable. I've cut back on just about everything and im staying pretty even. It's keeping miles off my cars, and I get to sleep in which is good for me because i suck at sleeping at night.
Throwing in an online school into the mix to me seems like a now or never thing. I can do this for 3 more years.... but i can't do this forever. And going back, I really don't want to program any more.
I'm behind on a lot of things already, and likely will be skilled-out of it in 3 years time. Which is why making the move to management seems like the logical next step for me, and i can get it done at the same time that i'm working.
I'm sorry to say, but it sounds like the attitude you used to have about college not being important for your career has come back and bit you in the ass. I say go for it, get that degree. You're only wasting time now as you're not going. Having that piece of paper opens a lot of doors you're just starting to see aren't opening for you. I think you know what you want and it is the right choice. You just need to sack up and jump in full fledged. Get over this shit of "oh I can't go to class". You can't go to class, I sure as hell wouldn't want to hire you, what does that say about your drive and ambition?

that was clearly written by someone who has not attended school for an MBA.

bottom line, you WILL hit a ceiling in the corporate world if you dont' have one. second, with the increasing number of bachelor degrees out there, you have to find a way to separate yourself. flat out, if an employer is looking at 100 resumes and 20 have mba's listed at the top, the likelihood of him continuing to the next 80 is minimal.

Get over this shit of "oh I can't go to class". You can't go to class, I sure as hell wouldn't want to hire you, what does that say about your drive and ambition?

The man has a point here. If someday you want a job befitting of the MBA, most likely you'll have to wake up early, put on a shirt and tie, and drive to an office. Just something to consider...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back