Has anyone rooted their HTC Android phone?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

A friend of mine had an HTC Hero and got a virus on it. It wouldn't do anything at all. I went on HTC's site and reinstalled the software- it returned his phone to original settings like the day he bought it. Would this same procedure work if I somehow messed up the root?

Possibly you really need 2.2 though

Flashing the factory ROM will bring it back to how it was when you bought it.
Rooting it just gives you the ability to flash a different ROM.

Well, tried the root today. All seems to work ok except I can't connect to the Android Market or Google Talk. Tried installing Froyo and when I go to reboot my screen just stays white with the HTC on it. I had to run recovery and now I'm stuck back at can't get on the Android Market... :(

Try clearing the data from the google apps and market in settings>apps>manage apps
Then connect to a solid wifi and try again.

Are you sure you don't have 2.2 available through Over The Air(OTA) programming? Should check under settings, and then about phone and should be an option to check for system updates, allot of people on that forum indicated they have Froyo(2.2) through OTA

and when you get 2.2 up and running you'll want to download "App Swap" by jrummy16 on the Market for 99 cents. this will allow you to place any app on your SD card

Last edited:
Try clearing the data from the google apps and market in settings>apps>manage apps
Then connect to a solid wifi and try again.

Thanks, but no luck. :(

I'm off to my service provider. Hopefully they will install a factory system back on it.

Oh, well then you should flash an updated ROM. If the one you got doesn't work, try a different one.

Back