Head Gaskets

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gen2Teg

Hey just wondering if you guys recomend using or not using any specific head gaskets. Im looking for the best bang for the buck to lower my compression on my B20 I have in my garage waiting to be boosted. I was thinking cometic but someone on here said they had a bad experience with them so just wondering what everyone else thinks about which company i should go with. Thanks

aftermarket headgaskets will only lower so much, like in the area of .2 and such.

if you want to run lower compression for a turbo then get lower compression pistons is your best bet and to increase piston longevity.

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@Dec 19 2003, 05:50 AM
Hey just wondering if you guys recomend using or not using any specific head gaskets. Im looking for the best bang for the buck to lower my compression on my B20 I have in my garage waiting to be boosted. I was thinking cometic but someone on here said they had a bad experience with them so just wondering what everyone else thinks about which company i should go with. Thanks

Cometic makes the best gaskets, who ever said that (BullShit). Hows it go again, the thicker the gasket, the lower the compression? And the thinner the gasker the higher the compression?
call.gif

Originally posted by JDMilan@Dec 19 2003, 06:26 PM
aftermarket headgaskets will only lower so much, like in the area of .2 and such.

if you want to run lower compression for a turbo then get lower compression pistons is your best bet and to increase piston longevity.

yeah im well aware of the obvious but i don't have the money for pistons, rods, and the whole works right now. For now I just want a thicker head gasket for more protection.

i dont like cometic. i would suggest deckin the block and gettin an oem gasket. or either going with an oring gasket setup.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 20 2003, 03:33 PM
i dont like cometic. i would suggest deckin the block and gettin an oem gasket. or either going with an oring gasket setup.

thats alot for just a gasket replacement. i think you have to have grooves in the head or block/sleeves to go with an oring.

Originally posted by Honda_Motor_Co.@Dec 20 2003, 12:52 PM
Gaskets affect compression, make a wise choice when picking one out.

Hence this posting. Thank you Captain Obvious.

it would be a lot keven, but think of the ease of gasket replacement when you open the engine back up. all you need is four copper orings.

but i really dont like cometic. i had one pop when i was runnin a mustang 5.0 to 120mph...after i took him, i looked down at the gauges and noticed i was runnin hot enough to cook a turkey. it was such a small leak at first, but after constant runnin (stupid on my part) i damn near cooked my head down. when i tore the head off and looked at the gasket, it failed b/w the layers...that pissed me off. it failed on the crunch layer, not b/w an outer layer/head or block. ill never buy or recommend cometic. it was a tweaked out all motor, runnin like 11.4:1 comp on all stock bottom.

all i say is oem. my guy at honda says oem only concerning gaskets.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 20 2003, 02:33 PM

i agree with him. i rather use OEM headgasket over most after market one, if u have the money then go HKS but OEM is great and can handle a lot of boost from what i heard.

OEM gaskets can't handle boost. Honda in the US are factory N/A gasket for N/A engines. You think NHRA sport compact turbo dragsters use OEM gaskets??? They would blow that shit by turning the engine on.

Originally posted by Honda_Motor_Co.@Dec 20 2003, 03:44 PM
OEM gaskets can't handle boost. Honda in the US are factory N/A gasket for N/A engines. You think NHRA sport compact turbo dragsters use OEM gaskets??? They would blow that shit by turning the engine on.

Honda head gaskets everywhere, not just in the US, are made for OEM stock motors but it just so happens that you CAN use them for your modified motor. I actually could use an OEM gasket but i want something to lower the compression a bit so thats why im going aftermarket. And no, those drag cars wouldn't "blow that shit by turning the engine on" because the f'n turbo wouldn't be spooling and it would just be idling. Homo.

Your a little slow?, that was exaggerating, dragster dont have a stock idle, there turbos are spooling at a pretty good rate, they have slicks.

Originally posted by Honda_Motor_Co.@Dec 20 2003, 03:54 PM
Your a little slow?, that was exaggerating, dragster dont have a stock idle.

Your a little slow? WTF is that supposed to mean? Please don't turn comments into questions when they're not a question. And first of all wtf is a stock idle? God please just shut up now. Learn how a turbocharger works.

youre talkin about dragsters...which have extremem cylinder pressure due to high boost. yeah, oem peices arent made to handle, say, 16 lbs with no overlap. but for simple turbocharged engines running about 25 degrees of overlap, an oem headgasket will do the job properly.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 20 2003, 04:07 PM
youre talkin about dragsters...which have extremem cylinder pressure due to high boost. yeah, oem peices arent made to handle, say, 16 lbs with no overlap. but for simple turbocharged engines running about 25 degrees of overlap, an oem headgasket will do the job properly.

:concur:

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@Dec 20 2003, 03:59 PM

Your a little slow? WTF is that supposed to mean? Please don't turn comments into questions when they're not a question. And first of all wtf is a stock idle? God please just shut up now. Learn how a turbocharger works.

Stock idle for all hondas 500 R.P.M. oh yeah you know alot. I know more turbocharger than you ever will.

Back