Heal and toe shifting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I tought id open a thread about heal and toe shiftng. i do it almost on a daily basis(i am a very sprrited driver) and found a remarkable amount of control was added to the car.
i think the controls on the 95 accord are set up perfect for it.
im switching to a 1990 and hope the pedels are just as good.
are you guys shifting like this also?

i do it when i touge. i only do it in my 240 though. but there is a purpose. i drive with the purpose of getting where i want during the day, but heel/toe is a waste. plus my legs don't bend how i want them to in my cramped little hatch.

I don't know how 'a remarkable amount of control was added to the car' but I'm glad you enjoy it.

LOL @ touge.

Heel toe (or rev matching more accurately) isn't one of the more important skills required in motorsports. Modulating the brake under maximum (threshold) braking while bliping the throttle is a bit more difficult. I usually just left foot brake and downshift without the clutch, way easier than dicking around with heel-toe. *shrug*

if you have the racing ability to down shift under braking without the clutch, i shall bow to you. i can definitely down shift without the clutch, thats no the issue i have with your statement. Retaining speed through a corner during a clutchless shift is damn difficult, and even if you do pull it off (which i have no problem believing) the power is gonna be there when you dont need it or your transmission will be slowing you down into the corner as well.

I understand what you mean, but heel toe to keep the revs up just seems like a much simpler and more effective way to get corner entry and exit speeds. but what do i know.

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Corner lies ahead, still at full throttle, commence braking, downshift (blip throttle with right foot slide into next lower gear, repeate if necessary), trail brake and turn in, back on throttle in the proper gear. Regardless of what foot you use to brake the car with and how you rev match, this is done in the same order, same place. Heel toe has nothing to do with cornering speeds; either on entry or exit. Hell you can just stand on the brakes, and drop the thing into whatever gear you need to get to once you slow down enough and it won't make much if any differnece in exit speed. For the record, while you are braking as hard as possible, the tranny is doing nothing to slow you down, even at higher RPMs the brakes' stopping power prevents the tranny and associated engine braking effect from slowing the car.

It isn't hard to LFB and downshift without the clutch. You just gotta have some finesse with the throttle blip and the gear lever.

I have 11 outstanding tickets(very sprited driver)
also pratice makes perfect.
i am not a drag racer, more of a road racer.
2am, empty 2 lane parkway=alot of fun and testing of equipment.

if your racing somone and have the ability to late break them thru the trun and get on the gas earlier than them then you win.
i talking about 7 mile races on the bronx river parkway
(i live in new york). also in N.Y. they take your car if your caught doing over 100mph.
i still have mine.
pratice makes perfect.

i guess its personal preference. ive never tried to drive that way, but ill try it next time i go out. im at work and in a bad mood. i saw your other post and i was on tilt, so im being an ass.

i suppose it could work, id just have to get comfortable doing it that way. it just seems heel toe is an easier way of getting the same result (in my opinion of course).

also reduces wear and tear on drive train componets.
I am sorry but the street is wear i run at so i run very hard
i heal and toe and rev match while i down shift.
i drive hard, i know that im not the only one.
this is a driving forum anyway right?

has anybody used the phanton grip lsd?
how is it in the corners?
worth it of better off with a obx lsd?

i think it would be good on the track, but as a DD, i dont know if it would be livable. my personal opinion. and we all know what thats worth :ph34r:

this is a daily driver and its driven very hard. i running omni power coilover setup (stiff damper,and spring combo) and suspention tech. swaybar in the rear.
i dont have two much trouble cornering but i am looking for predictabalty(lack of a better word). i heard good things from the obx lsd but right now it just a thought. will lsd out of a type- s work with a 95 accoed ex tranny?

i heard of that problem but i t tought it was only the b series. that sucks. i thinking of mostly roadracing with a little drag racing. arent their different types of lsd? what are the guys in honda challange using? Are those guys breaking them. i know i wont put as much abuse as them but it has to last miles(hopfully 100,000)

Back