Help please!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bad ground.

Yes, after all the work you did, this is just Bad Ground. Celerity is like Gregory House with cars. And networks.

Bad ground?...Ground to what...we only disconnected one during this process and it is back on now. Also it only started doing this after we retimed it. :confused:

Ground on the dizzy? what ground? you just have your 4 wires coming off it. Is there a ground inside the cap? Besides...it only changed after it was timed...and yes it was timed right...to 10 deg.

the 88 is a 3SGE, it's FWD.

Also ADD GROUNDS. Even if you have to add new ones. Add like 3 more. Trust me.

There should be a mounting bolt on or near the distributor that has a SOLID ground coming to it.

No, its a 3S-FE engine, the 3S-GE motor is off the GTS version. Mine is the GT. As far as the grounds, are you saying to replace the old grounds or add more in random locations. If so where should I put them?

well we got it running ok...we finally just just said screw the timing light and just turned the distributer until it was good...still idles like a 100 rpm high but at least it accelerates ok now. Never did check it with the light again though...kinda curious what it is set at now...lol.

Sorry, been gone for a few days. Didn't catch this post.

Did you add more grounds ?

Well, even outside of being sarcastic - Lots of times when you do a head gasket or other major work that involves removing strapped parts (timing chain / belts are like that on Toyota motors too) the new gasket removes a lot of the connection between the larger parts of the engine. It's common to have to add new grounds when doing this work.

I got this query from a 4runner owner, who upon replacing the head (A TOTAL pain in the ass in the 22RE) put everything back together, and it was turning weakly, and wouldn't start. Oh, and "by the way" the ebrake got red hot and melted.

The ebrake cable became the new ground path, and it overwhelmed the cable - causing it to glow red hot.

Well, even outside of being sarcastic - Lots of times when you do a head gasket or other major work that involves removing strapped parts (timing chain / belts are like that on Toyota motors too) the new gasket removes a lot of the connection between the larger parts of the engine. It's common to have to add new grounds when doing this work.

I got this query from a 4runner owner, who upon replacing the head (A TOTAL pain in the ass in the 22RE) put everything back together, and it was turning weakly, and wouldn't start. Oh, and "by the way" the ebrake got red hot and melted.

The ebrake cable became the new ground path, and it overwhelmed the cable - causing it to glow red hot.

wow.
thats cool.
:cool:
i didnt know anything like that could happen.
i didnt even know grounds could be overwhelmed..

Sorry, been gone for a few days. Didn't catch this post.

Did you add more grounds ?

No didnt add anymore grounds...it was just that it really didnt start bogging hard until we timed it to where it was supposed to be...maybe we can try to add some more later. Thanks for all the help though.

Back