Honda History

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

any more information on this 1.6L V12 turbo motor? thats almost too hard to believe

Originally posted by DarkHand@Nov 14 2003, 03:37 PM
Excellent stuff, Celerity, we've all been :owned: by your knowledge of Honda history :)

I second that. Of course, I'm the one learning so I'm not as owned as other people who thought they knew the history of Honda. :p

Toyota had TVIS, which drew in more air lower RPMS and allowed for more efficient high-RPM fuel mixing.

TVIS is not cam related. My AllTrac has this, and it's basically a butterfly system similar to what a GSR has in the intake. In the Toyota version, though, you have two runners of equal size per cylinder. Below 3200 RPM, one runner is blocked off at the head end of the manifold by a butterfly.

Fords Ecotec valve management uses a VTEC-like cam lobe, but ONLY affects the exhaust cam.

Ford doesn't make Ecotec. GM does. Ford's ZETEC adjusts intake, overlap, and exhaust timing events only. There is no lift or duration control.

US imported Hondas starting in 1968. The 200 and 600 came in then. Then in 73.5 Honda California brought in the CVCC 800, with CVCC the valves provide a swirl for intake and exhaust.

US saw very very limited numbers of N and Z600s in the states before the Civic in '73. The S cars (S600 and S800) were NEVER sold here. The only way any S car ever got here was through someone importing them. Also, I don't believe there ever was an 800cc CVCC Civic. The '73+ CVCCs were all 1500cc engines. The Z and N cars were air cooled two strokes, and were before CVCC technology. With the CVCC, it's actually a small auxiliary combustion chamber, valve, port, and intake runner seperate from the rest of the intake system. The auxiliary system draws in an excessively rich charge while the rest of the intake system draws in an excessively lean charge. The rich charge ignites first in the precombustion chamber, lighting off the lean charge in the main combustion chamber.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Nov 14 2003, 07:01 PM
Toyota had TVIS, which drew in more air lower RPMS and allowed for more efficient high-RPM fuel mixing.

VTIS is not cam related. My AllTrac has this, and it's basically a butterfly system similar to what a GSR has in the intake. In the Toyota version, though, you have two runners of equal size per cylinder. Below 3200 RPM, one runner is blocked off at the head end of the manifold by a butterfly.

Which is the #1 thing everyone hates on the 3s-GTE..

overly complicated...

Originally posted by jiahanhao@Nov 14 2003, 07:03 PM

Which is the #1 thing everyone hates on the 3s-GTE..

overly complicated...

Actually, the one thing everyone hates is the goddamn flapper door MAF. *mutter*

The crowd is split on the TVIS deal. Some say it'll run better with the butterflies removed. Some say it'll run like shit and get bad gas milage. I don't know one way or the other. Because it's so hard to get to in my car, I've no desire to remove it just to see. I'd rather spend my time and money converting to stand alone engine management so I can get rid of that stupid ass MAF.

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Nov 14 2003, 05:55 PM
WOW
stock leather in a CRX :blink:
never thought i would see that
that moonroff is badass

werd :D there is a guy out here in pasadena who has a RHD glass top crx. also has a b16a1 in it :worthy:

this is the car:
fc8db4f3.jpg

Originally posted by rixXxceboy+Nov 14 2003, 07:12 PM-->
Smonkeyboy
@Nov 14 2003, 05:55 PM
WOW
stock leather in a CRX :blink:
never thought i would see that
that moonroff is badass

werd :D there is a guy out here in pasadena who has a RHD glass top crx. also has a b16a1 in it :worthy:

this is the car:
fc8db4f3.jpg

Man, I haven't seen that in years... that's Rusty, right? Eric from FFSquad/ Tite Boy Racing, built that car, right? If that's his car, that car used to be a USDM spec DX that he welded the RDH non SiR front end to, added the SiR stuff, and added the glass top.

As for the TecIII... I'm actually leaning towards an SES EFI system: www.sdsefi.com :)

he didnt weld the clip on
he had it shipped over so he could do the RHD conv, and B16 since there wernt any motor mounts avail in the early 1990s

Loco...the guys name is eric..but i only know that from reading about it in a super street mag :D i took that pic at a carshow in irwindale this past summer. u know the guy personally?

I talked to him a little back in '99 or so... And yes, he did weld it on. I remember his website that talked about how he chopped off the front of a USDM DX to weld the RHD front clip on. Lemmie see if I can find the site; it's probably down.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Nov 14 2003, 08:01 PM
The S cars (S600 and S800) were NEVER sold here. The only way any S car ever got here was through someone importing them.

They were never offically sold here but many made there way to the US. That was the first honda my dad owned.

The s800 was orginally aimed for the US market but it produced to much hydrocarbons to meet emissions.

The next significant change came in 1968 with the introduction of the S800M version. Aimed at the American market, Honda made changes to include flush door handles, side marker lights, dual circuit brakes, varied taillight configurations to suit different markets, safety glass, leaner carburetion, and more. (They went so far as to show a "USA Model" in the parts catalogues and owner's manuals, but no S800s, or for that matter any S series cars, were ever officially imported into the US for retail distribution.)

All the changes were in vain, however, as the high revving engine produced too many hydrocarbons. New safety and emissions regulations were being introduced and the S800 did not measure up. Without the support of the American market, Honda ceased production of the S800 in May 1970.

For more info on the early Honda cars, here is a great site

Hey thanks for all the information! Its great and I think its definetly going to get me an A in this project! I cant get enogh of all this history. And dont worry credit will be given to those who helped!

Here's a kicker... the CVCC model was also one of, if not THE, only cars during the gas crunch of the 70's that didn't require a catalyst to pass emissions testing. I haven't thought about that in over 10 years, so perhaps my statement isn't entirely accurate, but that's the gist of what I recall about that one.

Also, VTEC was invented miraculously in a sushi bar during a lunchtime rush by an engineer who was thinking about some R&D problem. He was sitting there, and had watched the chef stab a live octopus to be prepped for serving, and in that split second he developed the original idea of VTEC.

I don't remember details of the entire story, but I can get more info from the man who told this to me next time I see him...

Originally posted by aLLmOtOr@Nov 15 2003, 01:33 AM
Hey thanks for all the information! Its great and I think its definetly going to get me an A in this project! I cant get enogh of all this history. And dont worry credit will be given to those who helped!

lol i totally forgot the purpose of this thread. good luck with that!

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Nov 14 2003, 10:00 PM
I talked to him a little back in '99 or so... And yes, he did weld it on. I remember his website that talked about how he chopped off the front of a USDM DX to weld the RHD front clip on. Lemmie see if I can find the site; it's probably down.

ill trust you since you talked to him

but do you remember the one that was either in Sport Compact or Super Street that i am talking about???

Back