how do i break a stuck axle nut?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i broke 3 craftsmen breaker bars - trying to remove my axel nut on my old 90 integ- 4th one was the charm with some fine hammering - and some wd40 and me and my brother on a 6ft pipe =5000 lbs of pressure lol j/p dont know the amount of pressure but it killed the axel nut - had worse problems with the crank pulley bolt _ have fun !

recked - i broke 5 screw drivers doing that u need a much better piece of metal than a screw driver- breaks and screw driver lol - do every thing to remove it - i might even slightly recomend landing your rotor on a jack stand while trying to remove it (placed well off course - and supported in the normal areas as all = just an idea -

i've only had one of those axle nuts which could not be removed with a breaker bar. the nuts only cost like a 1.50 and autozone should have them. i keep spares around on purpose. you are not supposed to reuse them. i had to dremel one off one time. takes about 45 minutes but just cut down the dented end until you almost hit the axle, then chisel it to break it away from the axle. last resort but it worked for me when i needed to. i had to do this b/c by buddy dented it in such that i could not undent it and in the process got the end of a flathead caught so bad in the groove.

yea, i know screwdrivers break, but they will usually do the trick...

one night i had this legend tranny job going on and i went thru 3 1/2 inch craftsman ratchets, a couple breaker bars, a 6 foot pipe, a 350+ lbs friend, broke a socket, and my friend who was standing on the pipe slipped off, the pipe slammed into the hood and made it slam on my friends fingers, and then the pipe went across the garage and dented my friends trunk on his built accord, the same friend that had his hands stuck in the hood, and the pipe almost hit another friend in the head...

needless to say we just popped the lower ball joint and said fuck it...
that axle has never come out to date...

i got it off YES!!!!!!!
used the breaker bar with the half handle from my jack, i heated the nut with my torch then had my gf set the brakes All i had to do was put a little M. A. N. behind it haha.

thanks again for all your guys help your all freaking awesome well except the jerks hah :worthy:

Man i can't get either of mine off right now. I have my impact but my car is at a friends house and he only has a small compressor, so we can only use the impact for like 45sec at a time. I put the wheels back on and tried heating the nut, lowered the car and used a 1/2" breaker bar with a 6ft pole but i ended up sheering the head right off of the breaker bar. Luckly it was craftsman so i was able to replace it but i still cant get either nut off.

Ben

Stuck!

I'm in the process of restoring an old Civic to something drivable again.

I'm currently removing the axle nut. I haven't had enough luck to actually get the sucker off, but I have to say as a new gear head this forum has totally helped. I don't know what I would've done without your suggestions. Thanks! ^_^

Back