How do you setup a turbo for water cooling?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ryma

I was talking to a friend the other day about turbos and water cooled turbos came up. I compleatly forgot about water cooled turbos. But how would one setup the water coolent lines?

I know most turbos can be eather, I know some ford 2.3 turbos can be eather or also.

So how would you tap into the coolent system for a water cooled turbo setup?

Yes, i have seen fittings somewhere that will direct coolant from the throttle body to your turbo and back. Thats how most people do it.

Coming out of the firewall is (2) 5/8" hoses bringing coolant to the heater core. I usually T into those or the the TB coolant lines, which you should just remove from the TB when you do this ;)

i ran lines from the throttle body to the turbo then to the block used the stock single core radiator and never had problems with over heating

NO, some turbos use oil and water cooling, some are just oil.

I hear mixed reviews on which is better, I really couldnt say. I've used both and noticed no difference in oil or coolant change intervals. I usually run an oil cooler regardless :)

basically, fi the turbo is designed to be water cooled, run the water lines. if its not, don't worry about it.

Back