hybrid setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

typesiracing

i already have all these parts so cost effecetiveness is not an issue......i have a gsr block with gsr rods, crank and type r pistons....my plans (i have it on stand already) is to remove the gsr crank and replace with an ls crank...so it will be ls crank, gsr rods and type r pistons in a gsr block, i also have a b16 head. my only concern would be clearences. does anyone know if this will work?

why are you taking out a 1.8l crank for a 1.8l crank?

i hear ya but i already have to rebuild and it's all apart now so i mind as well just do it now........so does anyone dissagree and can say that the gsr rods will work?

Want some Eagle rods for your LS stroke? I've got a set to sell... look on my web page.

i know you guys are telling me that i have to use the ls rods with the ls crank but for ha ha's i slapped together the ls crank with gsr rods and type r pistons and everything is working....is it the head clearance that is the problem? because even that seems to be damn close to the same.....not that i'm doubting, i just want to understand why and know that you are sure....thanks again

you will have to rebuild the whole thing if you turn that key and rev it up. listen to theese guys, they know what their talking about.

Turning it over by hand will not represent the clearences once the motor is in full swing. Stretch.

weird cuz I have an LSvtec, using GSR rods, with Type R pistons, and I have revved out to 8600 all the time, and my motor still runs like a champ, and also the occasional 75 shot nitrous. I am not saying any of you guys are wrong, but I am just saying that so far I haven't had a problem with the GSR rods in the LS block.

well its not the gsr rods in the ls block that is the problem its using the combination of the gsr ls crank witht he gsr rods....they arer to long and will create head clearance issues and more importantly piston to valve clearance issues. If it creates enough of a clearance issue then when u start the pistons can hit the valves and bend them.

hmmm.. I am sorta confused then. Why would the GRS rods on the LS block with the LS crank, not be a problem, but the GSR rods with the ls crank in the GSR block, be a problem. I thought the only difference between the two was that the GSR had oil squiters, and the gsr girdle. I am actually in question now. Action motorsport told me the GSR rods would be better if I had to choose between the two. and my lsvtec has been running fine. I am sorta worried now, if the clearance issues are that serious. and plus I don't have the money for eagle rods or anything.

the gsr rods are longer than the ls rods....so when u put them on the ls crank u create a longer stroke which will make the pistons go higher in the block...therefor possibly creating a clearance issue

o.k. I understand that. like I got that through my head, but is there a lesser of a danger in the LS block than in the GSR block, that is what I was really trying ask. cuz like I said my motor has been running strong, and one of the replies, I think said that right when you start up your motor with this setup, your motor would fry, so I am wondering if there was a difference in hazard of running those rods in the LS block. Cuz so far I have had no issues of daily 8600 on ramp power shifts, sometimes with nitrous. and I am hearing no noises or anything. using a b-16 head, not milled at all.

no the block shouldnt make a diferrence as far as that goes as long as your using the correct rod/crank combination...and for that matter if your car is pulling 8600rpm smoothly with good power than i cant assume that u have any real problems, if something was to happen it eould have been right away

Back