I HATE NETSCAPE

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I am attempting to install Opera, but the two tarballs I have dl at this point are both missing files. :( This does not bode well for Opera either. At that point I think I am out of options. :rant:

I used to run Opera and didn't have any problems. I'd recommend it. :thumbsup:

I'd love to run it. Their tar balls are broken (missing files) and I cannot use pkgadd (no root access) so their pkg's do me no good. :(

Sorry, that was in geek. :)

In English:
Their installer is broken so I can't use it.

not to start a flame war over OS's here... but thats why I stick to windows... things work when you download them, where as *nix it seems it always takes some fiddling.

As I told my Anti-MS Nazi comp sci teacher, for my desktop OS I would rather have things install and have to reboot daily then spend hours getting things to install in the first place. :p

Then you can use the good ol IE... and patch the hell out of it!

Nah... Nutscrape got bought out (by AOL I think) remember? All meaningful development and upgrades ended after the buyout. It's no good anymore. I stayed with Netscape as long as I could, but had to switch over to the evil IE when I couldn't read half the crap anymore.

Opera is good. :thumbsup:

As for the OS wars- Redhat installs very nicely. It's more "plug and play" than the pre-XP M$ OSs were. I still won't run it as my primary OS on a home computer though.

lol, i could imagine.

i think Lynx went out of being #1 when comodore 64 came out

I am a linux fan, but not a linux bigot as many of my fellow CS students are. It seems that anymore many CS professor groom students to dislike M$ for anything. So being the good little monkies that school is training us to be they fall in and spend the rest of school bashing M$. Then their professional lives either writing freeware for Linux and working at 7-11 to support the habit (too bad no one wants to pay for linux software because it should all be open source right? ;) ) or writing code for windows and hating every minute of it or deciding that M$ isn't as bad as their professors made it out to be, but now they must relearn everything because their profs hated M$ so much they never taught anyone how to write for it.

M$ has some shady business practices. They don't write flawless software, but they do write software that does what it is supposed to better than their competitors. How else would they have made it to where they are today? Have any of you tried to use Corel Office lately? It was nice to throw that steaming pile of bat guano out and return to M$ Office wasn't it?

Each OS has it's strengths and weaknesses. For a websever I would never tough M$ because there are more copies of Windows floating around the world than any other single OS so statistics say that Windows is the most likely to be the target of a virus. On the other hand I would not run Linux as my primary OS at home. Writing code is fun, but I don't want to have to write any tool that I want to use. Plus the GUIs on Linux aren't anymore stable than Windows and most are just a piggy if not more so. As for Mac, we will see. OS1-OS9 were all peices of crap. OSX showed some promise. Maybe OSXI or 11 or what ever they call it will cut the pretty bullshit out and turn into a functional OS.

*gets off soap-box

IF AOL did buy Netscape then thats reason why it sucks completly. AOL blows and i am glad i got rid of that piece of shit online service. on a side note...ive always been satisfied with Micrsoft Internet Explorer. no problems for me... :)

Back