I need a different Car

Either one must make it up the pass

• 02+ Subaru

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigJ

I'm just about that action Boss.
VIP
I'm on a budget. I want a new car. I am going to be financing something for the first time and putting roughly 7-9k down, depending on how much my school costs this quarter. I only want to finance roughly 5-6k and my insurance needs to be under 300/mo. I really want a WRX, but I think an A4 wouldn't be a bad choice either. My dad likes the A4 more and he'd be cosigning so its important to get him on board with which ever car.

Ultimately, I'd love This.

If you go with an a4, get a 1.8T. I'll only say it once, you will kick youself in the ass if you don't.

Sure there's the SC kit for the 30V, but it's $$$$, then again, you'd be around S4 status powerwise while being slightly more reliable.

Its a personal preference. I'm a bit biased since I have an A4, I love the car even though it's kinda slow. That particular one is faster then mine, I have a 12V and it has about 20 less hp then the 30V and NO aftermarket support.

The front four link suspension's control arms are great in terms of handling and traction but are a weak part of the car. It has 8 arms and they are a common problem, they were actually recalled and if the car was serviced at Audi or an Audi authorized place they'll replace them when they take a shit. I just replaced the two upper driverside arms, ~50 each and a bitch to remove the pinch bolt.

Wheel bearings are also a somewhat common problem. $250 each to replace at the dealer or ~140 to do it yourself.

They understeer.

I forgot to add. I won't be modifying much, if at all.

I really won't be racing it or anything, I'm a sporty driver and I might take it on some twisties, but I won't be pouring money into it besides maintenance and ifsomething breaks upgrading that.

How much are you willing to spend? You might be in S4 range.

If you don't plan on modifying it then get the 30V V6, they're kinda quick.

The 1.8T's are just too slow if you don't do anything to it. They produce like 120 AWHP. The front traks, which I would never reccomend if you want an Audi might make 130 AWHP.

I still reccomend a 1.8t, get it, chip it. Be happy knowing you can always upgrade. GT28rs's can make some insane hp outta that little 1.8. Even the k04 makes decent power.

My brother chipped his TT and it broke down crazy after that. Not a good idea. All related to chipping it. He had it done at the best place in washington and it was very spendy, but still he had so many problems afterwards the car was junk after that.

I did find a beautiful 2000 blue 1.8t for 12k though with 58k, s4 wheels, and was immaculant.

Ask yourself one question to decide here, luxury or reliability?

If you want the luxury, go with the A4 but understand and accept that german parts and labor is even more than Japanese which is of course more than domestic.

If you want the reliability, understand that there's a cost and that cost is going to be the luxury and the gadgets that come along with the luxury. You're going to have more rattles, pings, etc., out of your "tin can" but it will perform better.

If you want a highway cruiser thats luxurious get the A4 but be prepared to pay large numbers if need be in repairs.

Although Bryan will rant up and down about how good the A4 is, its a glorified jetta or passat. Personally I'd get a 4motion passat, if I were going the Audi route. Its cheaper and the same car without the name.

WRX's have come down tremundously in price and can be quite the buy now in my opinion.

audi > subaru
the end.

Quoted post[/post]]
audi > subaru
the end.

Perhaps a s4 or a6 or something, but are you in the right state of mind?

You know thats like comparing a jetta or passat to a wrx, right? I've never heard of anyone rip on a Subaru when compared to a VW, but you'll rip on it in comparison to the bottom of the line model that is the same thing as a VW?

Get fucking real. Look at repair bills for the a4 and that should be enough to guide your decision. With that said, how are you going to compare the cars when they have two completely different targets in mind?

If he wants luxury - Audi. If he wants performance - WRX.

...but lets give a blanketed answer because we're a respected mod on here. FTW!!!

asshole go fuck yourself

audis are all around nicer cars
yes even VWs are nicer cars

they have nicer interiors
they are more comfortable
they handle as well or better
they have better ride quality
they are quieter inside
and they are not that far behind in performance

parts and labor are a little more but its nothing that will break the bank

and ive seen plenty of VW/Audis up around or over the 200k mark so dont tell me they arent reliable

and yes if i was looking for a new car and was choosing between the Evo the STi and the R32 GTi , i would most likely chose the R32 GTi... it might not be quite as fast off the line but it is an all around better handling nicer riding car

198693512-winslowned.jpg

Quoted post[/post]]
asshole go fuck yourself

audis are all around nicer cars
yes even VWs are nicer cars

they have nicer interiors
they are more comfortable
they handle as well or better
they have better ride quality
they are quieter inside
and they are not that far behind in performance

parts and labor are a little more but its nothing that will break the bank

and ive seen plenty of VW/Audis up around or over the 200k mark so dont tell me they arent reliable

and yes if i was looking for a new car and was choosing between the Evo the STi and the R32 GTi , i would most likely chose the R32 GTi... it might not be quite as fast off the line but it is an all around better handling nicer riding car

Okay, this is a matter of opinion obviously but you say blanketed statements.

An A4 is the bottom of the line car, its still a tin bucket for an Audi. Its interior is comparible to that of the WRX. I own the WRX, my friend owns an A4, and the other owns a Jetta.

More comfortable is also up for grabs. My '02 bugeye seats are a hell of a lot more comfortable than the jetta or a4 seats. They wrap around you further and hold you in place more firmly. The back of a jetta and a4 are still squished, like the wrx, so no one riding in the back is going to be comfortable.

The A4 does not handle as well or better than a WRX. A TT or s4 might, but thats not what we're comparing here - so don't go comparing various other models with the WRX - you're being completely unfair and not even bringing the STi into the picture but obviously you're exploring other models in the line up.

Better ride quality? Oh so you want to compare $80 or whatever they hell cheap ass price it is for a RE092 tire on a WRX to the much higher quality stock tires on a german car? The germans are known for putting good stock tires/rims onto cars. Upgrade the WRX's tires and your ride quality just dramatically increased.

Of course they're quiter inside - one's a luxury car, the other is supposed to be a rally hybrid. Who's to say he doesn't want the "rally car" feel over the luxury. ...i guess you because you're just given him an opinion that is definately less than open minded.

An unchipped A4 or 2.5L quattro is still miles behind the WRX in performance.

I dunno, I think he's ultimately going for overall comfort rather than performance, and in that case I'd go with the Audi.

Like you said earlier (more or less), Audis are pretty much rebadged VW's. A friend of mine has an 01 Passat, and it is fucking comfort city. Granted, it's not a performance beast in any way, but that's not what the car is for.

Not saying at all that Subies are uncomfortable, but I'd definitely have to go with an Audi/VW over a WRX on the 'comfort' factor.

That, and with a set of mesh 18's, it's good to go. Honestly, euro's just look CLEAN.

If you get both with a warranty then my pick would be the Audi hands down.

If both cars had zero warranty and you wanted to keep them long term then I would buy the subi.

This is coming from someone whos owned a 96 A4 and took care of/tried to sell a 2003 A4.

as of right now the biggest plus to Audi is that they killed their own resale value by releasing so many different updates for the A4 from 2002-2006 Just keep in mind that plus is only for a 2nd hand buyer.

The 2003 Audi A4 was just under $40K brand new, not even 2 years later I couldnt even sell it for $20K
at least car max offered me $18K for it.

Yup, they reduced in price drastically.

The A4 rides on the same platform as the Passat, essentially it is the same car.

Would I choose the A4 over a Passat, any day. Not for the name, but I perfer the interior better, and the exterior styling.

It does cost more a little more to fix, but that's what you get when you get into the "luxury" category.

My a4 has 180k miles on it now, not once have I had a problem with the engine/trans, I broke the axle and I wore down the ball joints substantially while tracking it so for the suspension, well, I had a couple issues, but nothing major for a 180k mile chassis. Amazingly this car still has the STOCK clutch and doesn't slip, it's getting a little soft but still engages fine.

1.8t's do have their problems but are also very modifiable engines and can be a very quick engine. A gt28rs kit with a 2.8 trans will eat an STi.

Sure the car could use some improvements but every car could.

Granted Audi's cost more to maintain than subaru's, there is ahitch to this. My dad's real good friend owns a euro shop and his golfing partner is a partner to a japanese shop so I get both at cost and hourly wage at 40/hr flat rate and parts are wholesale. No bull shit on that

I don't plan on keeping any car more than 5 years. Hell I planned on keeping my prelude through all college and its december of 05, and I bought it in january of 05. I just realized I need a bit mroe space, awd and I don't want it to break down on me for no apparent reason.

Bringing this to the table, are there any other cars that are options?

Back