If you wont take it voluntarily.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I agree the system is a bit fucked, but can you honestly say that if you were on unemployment and the only job you could get earned less than your unemployment, you'd give up your unemployment to work a shitty job? I know I wouldn't unless I had to, and there may come a time when people have to.

I agree the system is a bit fucked, but can you honestly say that if you were on unemployment and the only job you could get earned less than your unemployment, you'd give up your unemployment to work a shitty job? I know I wouldn't unless I had to, and there may come a time when people have to.

dollar for dollar, no i wouldn't give up unemployment. but when you count in any benefits that may come, whether that be insurance, retirement, or whatever, its' better to work.

the whole point of unemployment is to pay you 60-80% of what you were making before you got laid off. so if your next job compared to your previous one is that big of a hit, you were either overpaid, or in underqualified. now this is a big generalization, but big picture, most people just aren't looking for work or don't have a strong enough incentive to work period.

it's shit like this episode of MTV true life that show how messed up the situation is. this guy wouldn't even LOOK for work until a week before his benefits expired. then the last day before they lose the house, the benefits get extended. oh wait, he has a brand new car though.

http://eztvlinks.com/true-life-i-have-broke-parents/

Last edited:
Here is another question I have. There are people that feel making 250k a year is to much money for one person to have so where is the incentive to actually try and do well? Why would I ever want to get a masters or a doctorate? It blows my mind that some people get so angry about someone else making money. Isn't that the whole point of America? Do well and you get to reap the rewards. Now it seems work hard so we can take it away because you "have to much".

Hell Paris Hilton didn't do anything to earn her money but if her grand father wants her to have the money how can anyone tell him what he can and can't do with his money? At what point will the rabid left be satisfied? 25k vs. 12k per year is rich. So what's to say the person making 25k isn't forced to give to the 12k guy? Wealth is subjective.

Wealth is subjective.

wealth is subjective to the "have nots", not the "haves".

people who work their asses off dont' care about others. the people don't have much are too concerned with other peoples shit and why they are able to get ahead. if you put your head down and work your fucking ass off, you can get ahead. i personally know a 55 year old vietnamese guy who didn't come to the u.s. until he was 34. literally smuggled on a boat. got his visa to work. worked 3 jobs 60-80 hours a week. now his net worth is about $500,000. owns 3 houses drives a bmw X5 and mercedes. paid cash for 3 kids to go to college. it's all a mentality. too many generations wanting shit for free.

well, if its a system that needs to stay, it needs to be done completely differently.
the amount that employers pay in doesnt even come close to what gets paid out.

that's how insurance works.

like on your car,
you pay $100 a month
if you wreck it, they pay out $30,000 (assuming you have a decent car).

If you wreck it in month 2, they lose.
If you never wreck, they win, and that money goes to pay for others in the GROUP who have lost.

like most other things, it doesnt need to be run by the government. they just take the money thats paid in and use it for other things, then wonder where the money is when its needed.
i dont care that the companies have to pay in on the insurance, allowing people to be on unemployment for so long is ridiculous. like i stated above, not a single person that i know has even considered looking for a job while they were getting that unemployment check. and they all bitched when it finally came to an end.
if they had a family/house/etc, they would think differently.

for the 20-something, it's a paid vacation. for a family man with a wife and 2.2 kids, it's not enough, and times are REAL bad, and getting foreclosed-on, ebehind on everything, tc etc and the unemployment is basically feeding them.
factor in COBRA and any other insurnace payments, and you're negative.
the 20-something guy could care less about insurnace.
the guy with a wife expecting NEEDS it.

i believe it was posted somewhere on hondaswap (but maybe not) about people complaining about needing a job, but when it was pointed out to them that there were places hiring, the reply was: "I dont wanna work there."
sure. Why should someone go make $8 an hour when they make $12 collecting doing nothing?

but what about the family man who made $30 an hour, and now this $12 is a joke to them, but $8 is even worse.

Obama has proposed keeping the rate the same for everyone... maintaining the status quo.

Im baffled at why he didnt propose letting the Bush cuts expire for the +250,000 people and simultaneously LOWERING the rate BELOW the Bush rate for the -250,000 people. Im sure his liberal congress would pass something like that and love it. Most Americans would probably also be happy with a plan like this.

A liberal congress that would promote lower taxess? Pass the good stuff that you must be smoking...

They need to tax more, so they can save the world with all their "social progress" programs.

Thats 95% of the reason why you vote for the right or for the left. Whether you think that "social welfare" should be a private or a public endeavor.

After seeing how the government runs every agency, department, subsidization, that I've ever researched, it blows my mind that people still feel that the government should have more control over our lives and a bigger role in our daily life.

Last edited:
the problem is, people keep wrecking the same car and collecting insurance on the same piece of shit. eventually you are suppose to buy a new car. they paid insurance that is only suppose to cover 6-9 months. our government has stretched it out to how long, 3 years?

the whole point of unemployment is to pay you 60-80% of what you were making before you got laid off. so if your next job compared to your previous one is that big of a hit, you were either overpaid, or in underqualified. now this is a big generalization, but big picture, most people just aren't looking for work or don't have a strong enough incentive to work period.

it's shit like this episode of MTV true life that show how messed up the situation is. this guy wouldn't even LOOK for work until a week before his benefits expired. then the last day before they lose the house, the benefits get extended. oh wait, he has a brand new car though.

True Life I Have Broke Parents Full Episode | EZTV Links

this is exactly what im talking about, people arent trying to find work period. yes, there are a lot of jobs that dont pay as well as unemployment, but there are jobs out there that pay better that people receiving can get, but they arent looking for it.
i could tell somebody about a job that pays a bit more than what they are collecting and they dont give a shit, why work when they can stay home and still bring in money?

Here is another question I have. There are people that feel making 250k a year is to much money for one person to have so where is the incentive to actually try and do well? Why would I ever want to get a masters or a doctorate? It blows my mind that some people get so angry about someone else making money. Isn't that the whole point of America? Do well and you get to reap the rewards. Now it seems work hard so we can take it away because you "have to much".

Hell Paris Hilton didn't do anything to earn her money but if her grand father wants her to have the money how can anyone tell him what he can and can't do with his money? At what point will the rabid left be satisfied? 25k vs. 12k per year is rich. So what's to say the person making 25k isn't forced to give to the 12k guy? Wealth is subjective.

this year, i have made much less than 10k.
i bring in on average about 700/month. not shit, but, i live within my means. something that most people cant fathom.
people tell me all the time that i should be looking into buying a house instead of renting. i cant help but ask if they are fucking retarded.
i work part time, no credit, and already stated my monthly income, but they still think i should be looking into buying a house.
its stupid. this is the problem, no matter how much you give, they want more. more. more.
cant afford to rent? buy a house. they think that because the mortgage is slightly cheaper than renting then its a great deal. but the majority of the time, they arent factoring in costs of maintenance, insurance, utilities, etc. which they quickly realize when that a/c goes out and they have to fork out the money to fix.

that's how insurance works.

like on your car,
you pay $100 a month
if you wreck it, they pay out $30,000 (assuming you have a decent car).

If you wreck it in month 2, they lose.
If you never wreck, they win, and that money goes to pay for others in the GROUP who have lost.

if they had a family/house/etc, they would think differently.

for the 20-something, it's a paid vacation. for a family man with a wife and 2.2 kids, it's not enough, and times are REAL bad, and getting foreclosed-on, ebehind on everything, tc etc and the unemployment is basically feeding them.
factor in COBRA and any other insurnace payments, and you're negative.
the 20-something guy could care less about insurnace.
the guy with a wife expecting NEEDS it.

sure. Why should someone go make $8 an hour when they make $12 collecting doing nothing?

but what about the family man who made $30 an hour, and now this $12 is a joke to them, but $8 is even worse.

I already conceded that he made a good point on the insurance thing:
you have a good point...

and to add a bit more:

Yes, i would be furious if i wrecked my car now and they totaled it but said im only going to get 2k, even though i KNOW my car is worth over 5k.
But, at the same time, if i wreck my car, i know its worth around the 5 to 6k mark, but i dont expect them to cut me a check for 12k.
thats whats happening now.

and i know a family man that just got laid off, has 2 kids, a wife, and they were complaining big time while he had a job about not having enough money. now, hes on unemployment, making less than before, but not looking for a job at all. period. not even interested in seeing whats out there.

People also don't realize that you can still work and collect unemployment provided you make less than your weekly benefit amount.

For example, when I got laid off, I collected ~$360/wk. Once I started working again, albeit part time, I was still able to claim unemployment provided I made less than 360/wk. It would reduce my benefit by 50% of my gross earnings.

So basically I could earn 360 and still receive 180 in unemployment. Or earn 200 and receive 260 in unemployment. It provides an incentive for those people that can't live on 8 bucks an hour (who can really?) or a low wage job. You can still accept those jobs and at least get your foot in the door.

Clearly the system isn't perfect, and I agree that the 99 weeks as it's currently set up is excessive, but there has to be something in place, particularly for someone who loses a job through no fault of their own. Part of the problem is that you can essentially lose a job due to absenteeism, then turn around and collect unemployment for 2 years.

At the rate we're printing money, why not just give it away to those who don't want to work. I mean, it doesn't have any real value anyway. Let's just make giant money piles in the streets and everyone can take as much as they need.

why not just give them drugs too....we could print less money and give them half of the payment in crack/weed/meth.

Yes, government sponsored money and drug dispensaries on every corner. We could even hire people to hand out the drugs and money. We'd pay them very well... uh...

Damnit.

99 weeks is excessive. Almost two years, you either aren't trying, willing to retrain yourself, or their is something wrong with you.
I know in my area their is a big problem in the trades with abuse of unemployment. Guys who were laid off during winter months or what was supposed to be for a week or two have not been going back to work. When their previous employers call to offer them work they don't answer the phone. The guys are running their own cash jobs or are working under the table for other guys, while collecting. Got to love it. One guy tried to get benefits cancelled on these guys with no luck at all.

Back