intercooler non turbo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PUREKDM

so b4 i start this thread not knowing much about the topic, please be informative not comical if at all possible...thanks

so my friend just got done turboing another car and had an intercooler and piping that he didn't need...so he put it in my trunk because his dad was nagging him about the shit all over the garage...i told him $20 and he graciously accepted knowing thats not even a tank of gas...so here is where i'm at...he said i should put it on my naturally aspirated gs-r...at first i laughed thinking about those front mount air intakes you see occasionally on a beat civic (no offence if anyones rockin one)...then he said in a very serious voice "dude it would be 100% functional, charged/FREEZING cold air going straight to your intake manifold with a cone on the other end...is this just a bunch of nonsense or is he on to something?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!:ph34r:

I would image there wouldnt be much of a difference in efficiency...basically would be the same as the fake fmic which is what it is but...you never know get it for a good price throw it on and see how it works

i mean call me "fast and the furious boy" but i'm just trying to do something constructive, creative and benneficial with what i have

Yea man I understand what you are saying..in theory it seems like a good idea..im just saying I dont know how efficient it will be..save your money and buy a nice cold air intake ??? my suggestion, but like I said it will be something diff..so if you like it go for it

I don't see how this would be cooler or more beneficial than just a regular cold air intake.

well if i were racing you and u couldnt get me after a wgile i would slow down and ask you: if the danm TURBO working????

I agree. This is a dumb idea. Just sell the thing; If it's in any kind of good shape I'm sure you can get more than $20 for it.

Fake intercooler....tisk tisk......

Someone else said it but its so true. You'll get yourself into some serious races with a mildly modified car and get laughed at.

What i meant is that it would be just the looks but thats it....its gonna work as a cold air intake....so why doing all that???..not make sense..is easier just to get a cold air intake instead.. and hook it up.....

It's not even going to be functional. You aren't going to see any colder intake temperatures than if you had a conventional CAI, and then on top of that you add in the 'ricer' factor (i.e. looks cool but doesn't do shit) and also the 'steal me' factor, AND it's going to add extra weight. If you want a cold air intake, buy a cold air intake. If you want an intercooler, turbo your car. Anything else is pointless.

And to whoever in this thread said that it'll work...put an FMIC on without a turbo and drive around for 20 minutes. Take an IR thermometer and measure the temperature of your intake piping. Then remove the FMIC and put a conventional CAI on and repeat the test. Be sure and let me know if you see a whopping difference in the temps. I'll save you the trouble though, and let you know that you won't.

hey mate i'm turboing my VL how much r u looking for for your intercooler and piping?? and well if u paid $20 for it then i would happily give u $30 so u make a profit;) lol but yeah wat kind of condition is it in??

Back