JDM DOHC ZC in 89 Hatch back. Zex Kit - Dry or Wet

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ThrowbackHatch89DX

what up hondaswap. basically this is my setup.

89 hatch dx
jdm dohc zc
stock dx tranny ( i kno i need an si SORRY!!!!! )
catback exhaust w/ high flow cat
headers
intake

now i am plannin on buying a zex kit, purge kit, walbro 255 fuel pump, and zex spark plugs.

i was plannin on runnin a 50 shot maybe 75 but i was wondering what is better and the pros and cons of a wet kit vs. a dry kit. and also should i run a 50 or 75??? what is safe cuz i dont wanna fry nuttin.

A wet kit sprays fuel all over the inside of your intake tract. If you want to go wet, go with a direct port setup. As for your application- I've had plenty of friends squeeze a 75 shot on a totally stock DOHC ZC without any problems. You just have to get your fueling right. I would personally recommend starting with a 50hp dry shot at first to get everything trimmed in safe, then work your way up from there if you feel more adventurous.

Well, it's all about tuning. There's no way to tell if a 75 shot or even a 50 will be "safe" for you. It's all dependent on the condition of your engine (no way for me to tell) and your tuning... along with how you wire up your nitrous system to activate. I would recommend a compression and leakdown test first to verify the health of your engine, then go from there. The main thing you have to make sure of is that you don't lean out while you're spraying. Supply enough fuel and you should be fine.

Cool, Thanks, i kno the motor has about 80,xxx miles and the shop i got it from said it was strong and im pretty sure they did a compression and leak down test before the put it in my hatch. so of course im goin to start of witha 50 shot but if i planned racing and needed that little extra i would want to make sure the 75 shot wouldnt be bad if i tuned it right of course. and with the zex kit its wired to activate and full throttle.

Well, I'm always one to not trust anything that other people do unless I know them really well. You never know if they did any kind of tests on the engine or not before they sold it to you. If you have the resources, I would definitely test it on your own to be sure before you spray- just to be safe.

Back