job: commute VS pay

what should i do?

• quit and take one of these if they offer you a position

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • keep a job on the back burner, and when you go to quit, see if they will give you a better offer to

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

def. interview and feel the place out.

if you get an offer, you can go to your boss now and tell them you got a better offer, but before you decide, you want to give them a chance to keep you (raise)...

take it from there

-also, even you do end up commuting, you're driving a new STi...it'll give you some "tuning" time

Quoted post[/post]]
move to dc metro area and make some real money. I havent made 45k in like 5 years.

im up over 30 and theres more room for growth here. step out of your comfort zone
+1 yea im up over 30 and i havent even graduated college. I dont have a career yet but i know that the pay changes. The same position i have in pennsylvania where i live now starts at 3-4 dollars less an hour. I mean 15 an hour isnt great but it gets the bills paid while in school :) Plus MD has plenty of national buildings in the metro area hunting for people to work for them. Also one hour isnt that bad, my dad drives 2 hours to the dc metro area because the money is good. Thats my .02 :)

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Look harder. Finish your degree too- that will open up more doors.
yeah, sometime... maybe next year i'll start taking a couple night classes or something

:thumbsup:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Obviously, I would finish up the interview process and see where it takes you. It's apparent that you don't want to stay where you are, either because you're unhappy, they don't appreciate you, or some combination of the two.
honestly, what it comes down to is money...

Nah, not really. Job satisfaction matters the most, at least to me. If I can make a few thousand less per year, but I'm happier in the "cheaper" position, I'll be willing to put more into my work, and then I'll get bigger raises and faster/bigger promotions. If you like your job, you'll move up faster and make more money very quickly, even if you started at a lower salary than another job that you didn't like as much but paid you more.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Another point- if you were just blind-firing your resume out and came up with these two positions, what would you be able to dig up if you really tried to look hard for something?
yeah i know... i didn't even send a cover letter out with either of these... I pretty much just clicked on apply for job and went on to the next one that looked good. lol

:thumbsup:

so whats up, B? any more info on the jobs?

hey, off on a tangent. who was the guy you bought the site from liek a few years ago? i don't even remember, cause it was right when i joined. shit i didn't even know who "B" was, that took me like a month to figure out.

sorry, didnt want to start a new thread for that question

bought this site? negative. i started this shit from scratch in 2001.
formed from my old del sol club, east coast del sol.

and no, i never even followed up on these leads.... i'm an idiot.

a good idea might be to casually talk to your boss and tell him that you would like a review
let him know that other places are offering you $65k, but you like where you are at and would be a lot happier sticking around if you were making a little more competitive wages
:shrug2:
worth a shot
it has worked for other people i know

:werd:

Your boss typically DOES appreciate it when you come to him first before accepting another offer too. Your current company would rather pay more to keep you than spend the money to replace you- and if they won't, it's not worth sticking around.

ok my bad, then were you talkin about sellin it in like'02 or so? i could have swore somebody was talking about selling the site or takin it over or whatever. like i said, i had just joined and i didn't know wtf was goin on, so yea.

oh yea, and did you even talk to your supervisor or boss? damn how do you expect to get paid what you think you are worth if you don't speak up. i agree with everyone else, atleast let em know that you are looking elsewhere since they seem to not be able to pay you reasonably. atlest get a review, then when they get that done, and if you get a really good one, start from there. once you get a good review it should give you a good reason to ask for a raise. if they give you any shit just say "hey its right there in black and white, i'm a good employee". i got a couple friends that do pretty much the same thing and they are getting paid about the same. they're about my age too. i mean thats out here in cali and all, but its in a small town so cost of living isn't the average of cali. I'm sure here in a big city it would be easier to get a higher paying job.

oh yea, my new roommate jsut moved out here from Pennsylvania and i asked him how it is here compared to Penn, and he said it sucks there compared to here, even with all the BS that goes along with livin CA like smog and shit. so maybe you rethink relocating :mrgreen: remember, not all of cali is expensive to live in, just the big cities.

Back