Learning another language but not in school.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Lately I've been interested in trying to learn Japanese but the community college I'm about to attend doesn't teach that. Is there a way or place to learn another language(besides diy books)? Or should I just wait until I transfer(NCSU)?

btw, anyone learning Kanji? How hard is it to pick up?

Do you know anything out side of English?

IMO Japanese isn't that hard to learn, I don't know a lot, but what little I know, I've found it pretty easy to pick up. The big plus with Japanese is you read it almost same way you would english, that's a major +

Then again I know some Spanish and some Chinese. If you ever try learning Chinese you'll find that ANY other language is easy to learn hahaha

I've used many different CDs, books and computer programs for both Spanish and Chinese, by far the best thing I've found is Pimsleur.

Pimsleur Japanese

About the kanji question, my brother speaks fluent japanese and can read or at least break down kanji pretty well. However, he went to a college in japan. so he had no choice but to speak Japanese.

I speak a language called Rade(pronounced "ra day", very similar to Malay) and bits of Viet. but don't know how to write in the language. I've thought about trying to learn Chinese but did Japanese instead(back in HS), but dropped out not too long after and just got my GED. If anything, I still have trouble pronouncing some English words even though I was born and raised here(didn't really learn English until I was maybe 4). Maybe just the FOB in me.

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely try it out.

I studied writing Kanji for a while. It's quite easy when you form little 'pneumonic' devices (for lack of a better term) to remember what 'strokes' are where. As for the language itself, it's easier than Gaelic. I have taught myself German and Italian. I've already taken too many years of French and know Spanish well enough. I have learned bits of Japanese, Vietnamese, Swedish, Dutch, and plan to learn more for when I travel. Structure wise, Japanese is easier than Russian (in my opinion) but by far I think German has been easiest. French and if you don't speak it natively, English are the hardest to learn with all the exceptions to the rule.

I love languages... somehow they come easy for me.... now if I'd only become a translator...

Back