light weight engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by SolPWR+Dec 10 2003, 07:46 PM-->
asmallsol
@Dec 10 2003, 06:29 PM
Have you ever heard of Formula SAE for colleges? Here they use a CRB 600 engine and then build a open wheeled car around it. I belive that they use the stock transmission and just make it a live axle.

??? more info

Yup. The current formula car sitting downstairs in the SAE garage is set up like this.

I was saying that adapter plates are kinda uncommon but custom (i.e. the "no shit" comment), but you can specifically get from a company an adapter for the rotary(13B, maybe 12A) to vw tranny. Not a new custom fab or anything, it's been done before and proven reliable. Try searching rx7club.com for it. Godd community.

And the adapter plate just goes between the engine and the tranny, you bolt the motor to the plate with holes in the motor's config and then bolt on the tranny with holes for it's configuration.

would the power out do the weight of the D series? cause you can make a lot more power with that engine than we have planned and they are just everywhere and parts are sooo cheap! Everyone is getting rid of their D's for B's. I love the "Dirty D"

I found a list of engine weights and the GM 2.2L is like 250lbs bare so the honda 1.6 must be around 200lbs with tranny 80lbs more and the cooling + others ~70lbs 350lbs my guess. can anyone confirm this?

chassis & body 700lbs, engine 350lbs, Suspension 120lbs, Seat & Accs 70lbs, Driver 150-175lbs, TOTAL incld driver 1390 w/ ~120whp = "pretty fast"

My sol had 120whp and had 1000lbs more and did very well!

use the engine off a snow mobile
a friend of mine had one with a polaris 650(?) and it fuckin flew

try an aircraft motor.
no dissy no alt no batt after you start it no rad nedded

Originally posted by asmallsol@Dec 10 2003, 06:29 PM
Have you ever heard of Formula SAE for colleges? Here they use a CRB 600 engine and then build a open wheeled car around it. I belive that they use the stock transmission and just make it a live axle.

didnt they also use yamaha 600's?

they had something on the SAE carts in an old magazine some where... hmmm

i say screw it, spend 3,000-5000 on a shifter car and hit 90 on an autox course :worthy:

and what are you talking about hcivic?

aircraft engines DO have distributors and need a battery to get starting.

i will have to read up on it, they work somewhat differently than regular automotive engines i just dont remember exatly how right now.

Does anyone know how much a D16Z6 weighs?

Or these
Mazda: Miata 1.6, Rotary 1.3
Hyundai: Tibi 1.8, Accent 1.5
Chevy: cavi 2.2
Geo: Storm 1.6
Nissan: Sentra 1.6
Mitsu: Eclipse 2.0/Neon 2.0,
Toyota: Celica 2.2 1.8 2.0
VW: 1.8, 2.0

Which do you think would be best. all engines<1995

Mazda's 1.8 and 1.6's use an Iron block, so no.

Hyundai.... WTF are you thinking?!

Chevy's motors are simply OBESE.

Geo. No go.

Nissan's 1.6L DOHC motor is pretty stout for it's size. The SR20DE is only SLIGHTLY heavier, so that might be a better option.

Eclipse 4G63 N/A motors are nice. The Neon 2.0L 420a is a POS.

The newer Celica 1.8L ZZ Motors are pretty sweet. If you get one, make sure it's the 180 HP one out of a GT-S. The GT motor is ok, but my sacrifice 40 hp for NO added weight?

VW's use a HEAVY Iron block as well.

Have you ever though about finding a SVT Focus motor? That might be fun. ;)

Originally posted by 98integrals+Dec 11 2003, 02:10 AM-->
asmallsol
@Dec 10 2003, 06:29 PM

didnt they also use yamaha 600's?

they had something on the SAE carts in an old magazine some where... hmmm

i say screw it, spend 3,000-5000 on a shifter car and hit 90 on an autox course :worthy:

and what are you talking about hcivic?

aircraft engines DO have distributors and need a battery to get starting.

i will have to read up on it, they work somewhat differently than regular automotive engines i just dont remember exatly how right now.

Jack, Pete SAE team is using the CBR 600, and so does the 2 others that I have seen at verious autoX's.

A motorcycle is probally the best way. Keep the frame under 200lbs, engine is extremly light weight and with no internals can rev to almost F1 levels. I belive that they just use the stock motorcyle tranny.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Dec 11 2003, 10:55 AM
A motorcycle is probally the best way. Keep the frame under 200lbs, engine is extremly light weight and with no internals can rev to almost F1 levels. I belive that they just use the stock motorcyle tranny.

200lbs thats very light. Thats like a go kart. does that include seat, accs, brakes and suspesion?

I've always wondered what a big ol' deep-sounding harley engine in a Civic would be like. :) In most cases more power than stock, and an AWSOME sound :)

Probelm with a motorcycle enige is that they are a little harder to get around here. Its not like everyone has one. There are a lot of people that have them but its either a cruising bike or a dirt bike. Very rare to see a street bike. I think Ive seen about 20 firsthand in my lifetime around here. Bikes are not good in snow.

Back