lightweight flywheel pros and cons any input

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Civics and Accords are 18lbs; I've measured with a bathroom scale. The only lighter one is the CX at 15lbs.

I bought a 7lb fidanza clutch off of ebay for $140 brand new (figure in the fact that it save me $40 to have the stock one machined so net is $100). It's installed on a 1989 CRX HF with a freshly reringed D15B6 and a new 212mm stock clutch.

IMO the people that are saying that they have trouble with the clutch don't have very good clutch control. Yeah it takes a little getting use to, but some people may be exagerating a little. If I can drive mine smoothly with 62hp, you should have no problem.

EGProject said:
A 7 or 8lb flywheel is a whole other story. Drivability is usually pretty brutal and while the car will run great at higher RPM's, torque will suffer.

Mine is plenty smooth... torque/hp DO NOT CHANGE

EGProject said:
He could chirp 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th with his shitty 165 profile winter tires on steelies. Hehe. :D

Actually a lighter flywheel would cause less wheel spin as it carries less momentum

hatchhonda19 said:
its hard to drive around town or in traffic but ones you get some heat into it it grabs really good.
I'm not sure how the drivability gets better if it's gripping more

Calesta said:
I believe EVERY car should have an 8 pound or lighter flywheel. :D

Agreed!

K2e2vin said:
Civics and Accords are 18lbs; I've measured with a bathroom scale. The only lighter one is the CX at 15lbs.
I was thinking that the CRX had a 16lb flywheel too

Last edited:
I would also like to add that my car actually shifts smoother with the 7lb because with less weight you don't have to be as careful to rev match, especially on the downshift.

And I'm not getting any clutch chatter or any of that with mine

I was thinking that the CRX had a 16lb flywheel too

Two of the flywheels I measured were from 88 CRX's. Those, and the 94 EX and 88 Std all weighed the same. My brother's 93 CX was the one that was 15lbs, and the Accord flywheel I weighed came out of my 90 Accord LX.

I too am running a Fidanza flywheel(I thought it was 8lbs at first but had got it confused with my Accord; it's 7lbs). How smooth shifting is really depends on the clutch. I have no problems since I'm using an Exedy oem repclacement. With that said, it's still easier for me to drive smoothly with a heavier flywheel.

Yeah, I think that 90% of people here are running more clutch than they need, so that's probably most of the issue.

I read a thread not too long ago where a guy was looking to buy a clutch and everyone said stage 2, but he bought a stage 3...wtf?

Stock/lightly modified engine=stock clutch!!

Im pretty sure i have a stage 1 clutch, the guy told me is has a "heavier duty clutch", this is what happens when you buy a used car as we all know, never know 100%.

But i can tell it is cause i have used stock cars including a civic and my clutch is noticeably shorter and stiffer. I had trouble driving my friends Z24 cavalier because the clutch was soo long and i have a short throw.

Generally speaking, if someone says "heavier duty clutch", that doesn't necessarily mean the flywheel was changed or the weight was increased or even decreased. That only means that the pressure plate has been upgraded with one of more clamping force, or possibly a segmented clutch disc.

- Just saying incase you didn't know.

No i never said my flywheel was changed. But ya i know what you mean.

Need advice

i have a B16A2 in my civic hatch and i am putting a stage 2 clutch in the place of the stock clutch.....the flywheel i am also putting in is 9.75 lbs and i need to know the good and the bad to make the best decision possible as to which flywheel i will use.....if it helps the stock flywheel is 18 lbs

i have a B16A2 in my civic hatch and i am putting a stage 2 clutch in the place of the stock clutch.....the flywheel i am also putting in is 9.75 lbs and i need to know the good and the bad to make the best decision possible as to which flywheel i will use.....if it helps the stock flywheel is 18 lbs

Read this thread for starters...

Go as light as possible to get the most performance gain.

:confused:

scroll up, duh

Back