looking for widest wheels

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

hey guys im wondering what is the largest width wheel you can run on a 96 prelude? i am getting new rims and tires. i was thinking about rota tuners 16x7, but just wondering if i can go wider; ive seen a prelude with part of the tire/rim sticking past the fender. i want something like that.

also my tire choice is bridgestone potenza s-03 pole positions. are these any good? i want a tire that is very good in dry weather and "ok" in rain. im open to suggestions.

as far as the s03's. Great tires. I have had them on my car for about the past 10-12k miles, just wore out. They had a good 15 autocross's and one HPDE (6 sessions). I probally could have gotten more out of them, but I have had a major toe issue, so the rears got shot real quick, then I got a flat spot in my fronts.

They are GREAT in the rain. I never felt unsecure with them. They pretty much grip better then anything on the road. Dry, they were great, however, they were just not what I was looking for (extreme grip on dry pavement for solo2, and HPDE's) My next tire will be azenies. Major reason is because when I bought the so3's, they were the same price as the azenies. Now, the azenies in my size are 80 a tire installed, s03's, 95 shipped + money for install.

:werd:

You can't beat the S-03 for one of the best tires money can buy... there are a few that can beat it in the dry, but not by much. I'm on my second set of S-03s. They're damn good.

thanks guys. i guess i will be getting some for the car. my cousin tried to tell me the bridgestones were garbage and go for some pirelli's.(btw this is the same guy that tried to tell me theres a b18c-g1, all skylines are 5-spd, the sti's intercooler is under the engine, etc. etc. :D )

as for the rims, ive decided on team dynamics pro race 1s in flat black sized 17x8 +48mm. also i am planning on running different sizes; 215/45 on front, 245/40 on rear. this is an attemp to make the front more square and the back more rounded.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jun 17 2004, 03:55 AM
also i am planning on running different sizes; 215/45 on front, 245/40 on rear. this is an attemp to make the front more square and the back more rounded.

245 is probably going to be just a tad too wide.

Not too mention that everyone is gonna rag on you for having wider rear tires on a front wheel drive car...especially when you tell them its just for looks. Be prepared.

-Chris

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jun 10 2004, 09:43 PM
hey guys im wondering what is the largest width wheel you can run on a 96 prelude? i am getting new rims and tires. i was thinking about rota tuners 16x7, but just wondering if i can go wider; ive seen a prelude with part of the tire/rim sticking past the fender. i want something like that.

also my tire choice is bridgestone potenza s-03 pole positions. are these any good? i want a tire that is very good in dry weather and "ok" in rain. im open to suggestions.

You want your rims to stick out past your fender? :hmm:

Originally posted by BlackFrog@Jun 17 2004, 05:32 PM
Not too mention that everyone is gonna rag on you for having wider rear tires on a front wheel drive car...especially when you tell them its just for looks. Be prepared.

no its not for looks. the bozz drift spec lancer has a setup similar; 255 wide tires, 9.5 inch rims in front but 8.5 inch rims in back. this is where i got the idea from. i am hoping by using wide tires in the rear it will be round and not square.

idk if my wheels stick past my fenders. as long as i can turn and there is no interference with the suspension im for it. there are some people that are already running 8" wide rims on preludes.

Originally posted by BlackFrog+Jun 17 2004, 02:32 PM-->
@Jun 17 2004, 03:55 AM
also i am planning on running different sizes; 215/45 on front, 245/40 on rear. this is an attemp to make the front more square and the back more rounded.

245 is probably going to be just a tad too wide.

-Chris

I agree I would maybe go with 225

Back