Matts96HB's EJ6 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

throw a single cam back in.. drive it.. build a monster motor

whats real funny is this exact thing happened to my buddies 02 celica..i put the gts motor in his gt..had to swap crank pulleys..well the keyway sheared..he thought i didnt put it in...

Man, our luck seems one in the same. Problem pops up in my car, i fix it only to turn around to another. I feeeeeeel your pain.

Especially when i went to get tuned the 1st time, car broke down within 10min from the shop. Had to get towed after bein on the side of the highway for 3 hours. Talk about fun. Ahh the good ol days.

Man, our luck seems one in the same. Problem pops up in my car, i fix it only to turn around to another. I feeeeeeel your pain.

Especially when i went to get tuned the 1st time, car broke down within 10min from the shop. Had to get towed after bein on the side of the highway for 3 hours. Talk about fun. Ahh the good ol days.
I got a CEL and misfire 2 days ago driving my car to be inspected.

And you guys made fun of me for buying a fit. :D

werd. some people made fun of me for buying a Neon too. lolz

Look who's still on the road. :thumbsup:

Hope you get this shit figured out man. I don't think this is the end, just another speed bump.

For the record, I was never off the road. Misfired home and had the problem fixed in about 10 minutes.

I wasn't directing that at you, just generally toward people who think a 15-20 year old honda is more reliable than a 2nd gen neon.

They both barely make enough power to stress the internals anyway. So who really wins that argument? Either way It's like being the smartest kid with down syndrome.

SO... a 1995 Civic EX makes how much power?? 125hp at the crank?

Whereas, 2004 Neon, or any neon for that matter makes no less than 132hp at the crank.

How exactly is there less stress again?

They both barely make enough power to stress the internals anyway. So who really wins that argument? Either way It's like being the smartest kid with down syndrome.
Read it again chief.

Oh my bad, I thought that by what you said you were implying that it has a smaller issue with stress. Never mind then. ;)

throw a single cam back in.. drive it.. build a monster motor
Well, chances are that I'm probably going to sleeve my block while its out, which is the only left in the bottom end that won't take the abuse. We will see though, the car pulled really hard on 10psi, and it was bone dry underneath. Not a single drop of oil. OEM gaskets FTW
can you sez, factory defekz
I'm not even sure, I don't know what could cause this..
God damn. That sucks.
Yeah man, it really does.
whats real funny is this exact thing happened to my buddies 02 celica..i put the gts motor in his gt..had to swap crank pulleys..well the keyway sheared..he thought i didnt put it in...
I know I looked at my crank pulley the other night and I was like what the fuck why is that wobbling.. so I tightened the bolt, but it was already tight.. so I decided to pull the pulley off, and well, the keyway kinda just fell into my hands. FML

Dude I have had the tuner at my house probably over 10 times. It just keeps happening, and I'm really starting to wonder if it's worth my time. I've put a lot of money into my build, and a TON of time, and all it has given me so far is mountain of headaches and a mole hill of fun times.
And you guys made fun of me for buying a fit. :D
Haha, I do not make fun, I'd rather be driving a reliable 80's toyota tercel at this point

Anyway, I need some help HS!
I cant figure out what would cause this to happen.. the only things I can think of are:
Defective Part
Wrong part
Excessive stress on the pulley from the belt being too tight??? idk.. just trying to brainstorm.. any help would be great!

Even if the keyway were made of defectively soft metal, it would take a LOT of resistance to shear it off. That kind of force can only be applied via the belts, or something rubbing against the pulley. Check the alternator/power steering pump/AC compressor to make sure none are seized, and insure that the pulley doesn't have something binding it up.

I'm gunna say wrong part, or like klyph said, maybe one of your accesories is seized up.

The only time I've seen ppl have problems with shearing keyways is on high boost blower setups. Havin a seized PS pump, AC pump, or alternator could generate similar loads.

I'm guessing that the key wasn't properly sized. I've got my Mech design book open from engineering school, and that is by far the most likely cause of failure. It's either that, or the key you used wasn't made of key stock, but some other inferior material. The belts would have to be really tight to cause failure that quickly. Considering how strong keystock is, I doubt that caused it.

Last edited:
Back