Matts96HB's EJ6 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

To be fair to your uncle, you should have checked the car over when you bought it. If it snapped, it probably already had definite signs that it needed replaced.

thats not a half bad price
I thought it was pretty decent. and the guy does awesome work.
To be fair to your uncle, you should have checked the car over when you bought it. If it snapped, it probably already had definite signs that it needed replaced.

youre probably right. the only thing that stopped me from checking the timing belt was the fact that he said the timing belt was done at 90,000 miles by Larry (our mechanic). i trusted his word, assuming that he probably wouldnt do that to family.

after hearing from the mechanic yesterday, the timing belt on the car was an OEM Honda belt. Larry (mechanic) said that he stopped using OEM timing belts in 1998. also, there weren't any marks underneath the hood or on the timing cover showing that the belt had been replaced, something that larry does on every vehicle he works on. im pretty pissed off about this, but im just going to get it fixed and go about my way.

insurance has been taken off of the civic for the winter, and ive already started teardown of the interior. working on replacing the cluster bulbs with LED's, and the climate control as well.

installed some 99-00 hatchback tail lights, and will be painting/installing the OEM 99-00 bumpers. rear disc conversion needs to be done as well, then I can move on to the engine and work on a few things there.

yeah.. i might go out and work on it for a bit today after class. ill take some pics then. anyone know of a cheaper place to get LED bulbs than superbrightleds.com? from what i can see its going to be about 60$ to do my turn signals, cluster, climate control, and tail lights.

edit: ill also try to do a clear, concise writeup on how to get the LED cluster/climate control going. there seems to be a TON of misinformation out there.

Last edited:
still finishing up things on the civic with the interior.. its going fairly well.

definitely going to consolidate to one nice car this coming spring/summer. school plans have been laid out, and the bottom line is my parents dont want a car sitting here while im gone. so, its going to be one of these:
images

or one of these:

images

leaning more towards the RL due to AWD and more of a luxury feel.

Go for the RL. You will get much more car for the money. The RL is an under appreciated car and hence has poor resale value. All the better for you to jump on a used one for a deal. The TL is a great choice too though. My dad has an 08 auto and my roommate has an 06 6 speed. Both are great cars and feel very quick for a 4 door.

Go for the RL. You will get much more car for the money. The RL is an under appreciated car and hence has poor resale value. All the better for you to jump on a used one for a deal. The TL is a great choice too though. My dad has an 08 auto and my roommate has an 06 6 speed. Both are great cars and feel very quick for a 4 door.
I love the RL. I had no idea they were AWD until I did some research. Very cool cars, and I absolutely love the 05-08 body style. Im looking for something entry - mid level luxury, and this car seems to fit perfectly. Plus, they can be had for 18-22k, which is right around what im looking to spend. Gas mileage isnt too much of a factor anymore, as I will be living on campus with a garage so the car will be safe.

The TL is definitely a cool car though. Ive always had a liking for the 04-08 body style. But the FWD kinda kills the appeal to me. Id rather have smoething AWD.
get the acura stay away from lexus

there isnt a lexus pictured?
first pic is an Acura RL
second is an Acura TL.

oh god i feel stupid < smacking myself right now... it looked like a L symbol on the front i didnt really look at the rest of the car

The RL will feel like a fwd car until you push it. The awd system on those is great. It really is among the most advanced systems in the world. It has torque vectoring front to back and side to side. In the winter you can make them drift so easily.

the RL will suit me perfectly. though i dont plan on drifting a car like that, id feel like a real dumbass if i found myself smashed into a curb

thats awesome about the torque vectoring, i assume they are pretty beastly in the snow? im really looking for something that is decent all around, which is why i turned to the RL. AWD, luxury, decent gas mileage, and i presume it is not a turd with a 3.5l V6.

some progress is being made on the civic. im doing a TON of wiring. getting the methanol in, adding fuses, shortening wiring, cleaning stuff up, adding LED bulbs to the gauges, etc. its been a lot of work, but im starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

OEM 99-00 hatch tail lights added, in addition to the OEM 99-00 headlights
2011-01-19_09-52-09_860-2.jpg

interior is a mess
2011-01-19_09-52-43_976.jpg

exterior is getting ready for fresh OEM bumpers.. there will be no lips/other bullshit, just a clean stock appearance
2011-01-19_09-53-47_839.jpg

and the accord got a set of amber corners because the old ones were cracked/leaking
2011-01-19_07-52-08_887.jpg

I miss my CB7 :( I ran that fucker without oil for a month and it didn't talk back. I might pick up another if everything goes according to plan like it never does.

I miss my CB7 :( I ran that fucker without oil for a month and it didn't talk back. I might pick up another if everything goes according to plan like it never does.

yeah they make an awesome DD..

just in from the shop. spent about 4 hours out there, and got a lot done. the wiring for the interior is buttoned up, and i put the dash back together except the radio and center console.

hopefully ill get a chance to work on it some more today/this week.

miss my old 93 accord ex... *tear*

im so sick of watching you work on this car tho! have you enjoyed it at all?

loving the clean ass sleeper beast tho... SECKS!!!11

miss my old 93 accord ex... *tear*

im so sick of watching you work on this car tho! have you enjoyed it at all?

loving the clean ass sleeper beast tho... SECKS!!!11

yeah i drove it all summer and most of spring.. even to work on most days :D

got out and did some more work today. got all of the interior back together, interior wiring hooked up as well. methanol is mocked up, im just trying to find a final mounting location for it. the bay is getting pretty cluttered with the breather tank, and methanol in there now.

the stock seats are going back in the car. i dont really like the look of leather up front and cloth in back. also, the gsr leathers are in pretty bad shape. ill probably sell em for $50 or so, and call it good.

Back