Matts96HB's EJ6 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Update coming tomorrow.. Paint on the car, at least in the engine bay :)

Moving slow and making sure I don't screw anything up. Engine goes back in this week.

Well, had some good and some bad tonight. Turns out I was sent the wrong clutch, and I'm not pleased at all. Calling the place tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get a new one overnighted or something, but most likely not. Which means I'll have to focus on body work this week.

On a good note, I got everything in the engine bay squared away. Its ready for the engine to go back in. Hopefully I'll get off at a decent hour so I can snap some pics of it.

Good deal, I hope you get the right clutch.

I had a nightmare/dream last night about my clutch slipping again. Then this horrible noise that came from the engine. Turned out to be my sellfone vibrating on the table next to the bed. :D

The b16a swap was a success! Night one I had a kill list involving a CRX(sounded kinda throaty), an s10(wtf, right?), a sentra spec v, and another civic(ex coupe).

But! I got owned by a red Dodge Caravan... like mid 90's. I heard a loud 'chooo...!' and found out an SRT4 powered caravan was bullying me. Kid was in good spirit enough to let me know, that and he got a 68mm turbo.

Car's fun. From the looks of things, a b20 block is next on the list. So I'll do my shopping. So far, looking into Crower connecting rods and pistons. Should I leave them low compression? Which crankshaft should I go with? I was told either the b20's or go with an ITR/CTR crankshaft.

Looking for answers.

Matt, hows your ek holding up???

Its holding up pretty good.

As far as your build, what are your future plans for the car? If it involves any sort of forced induction, just build the block completely now. Because I can tell you, you will always want more.

Ordered downpipe and radiator just a second ago. Some other goodies are also on the way:
Golden Eagle HG
Golden Eagle Vacuum Manifold
AEM Tru-Time Cam Gears
3" V-Band Downpipe
3-Row Radiator (From Honda-Tech vendor, cant remember the brand)

Ordered downpipe and radiator just a second ago. Some other goodies are also on the way:
Golden Eagle HG
Golden Eagle Vacuum Manifold
AEM Tru-Time Cam Gears
3" V-Band Downpipe
3-Row Radiator (From Honda-Tech vendor, cant remember the brand)

Why does everyone buy a vacuum manifold? Is it really needed with FI?

It is not necessary, but it makes things alot easier/cleaner when installing. My BOV will be the only part not routed through it, as the BOV is supposed to be routed inline to the vacuum source, which isn't possible with a Vacuum manifold.

b20 block. however, i'm running a simple set up, nothing too heavy on the engine. 5-7 lbs. just to get things to cook up a LITTLE bit.

Haha, well man, I can tell you one thing about turboing a car: You're always going to want more. In my eyes, its better to build the engine now, and keep it reliable. That way you don't have to go back through it later on because you broke something.

Pics of my car tonight hopefully, and probably a buddy's car, which is getting a t3/t4 put on ;)

i'd like to build the entire block and get that ready for the vtec head(to TRY the cr/ls-vtec out), then order the kit. so i'd have the engine completely prep'd for the turbo conversion(new oil pump, sleeves, lower comp pistions etc). i'm not trying to roast my motor, i just got it. but i'd like to have everything sitting in boxes so i can just tear into it... and i'm wishing it were that easy.

Soo I havent updated this in awhile, but there has been some progress.

Its been a long road, but it seems like the next couple weeks will be the finishing work. Paint is happening next week, all my parts for the engine are here. The only thing I am missing is the clutch. Its in the mail (correct one this time) and so when that gets here the engine bay can all go back together. I'm going to call HPI performance tomorrow and make an appointment to get some dyno time with them.

Stealthmode oil lines are here. Looks like a great kit. I'm going to dry fit it to the block tonight just to be sure that everything lines up right.

Finishing up the last of the sanding on the shaved spots tonight, and beginning to clean the shop out.

Its been awhile since I have posted pics of my little beast.. well here's quite a few, and a few pics of the shop as well.

100_0555.jpg

I love my new suspension.. tuckin like a mofo. No engine in, so it will probably sit a little too low with the engine in.. which means I'll have to adjust a little.

100_0549.jpg

How things were sitting prior to cleaning.

100_0553.jpg

In the process of filling the antenna hole

100_0554.jpg

And the rear wiper/emblem holes

100_0559.jpg

Man this place was dirty, and primer doesn't lay down too well with a bunch of dust in the air..
So out everything went..

100_0558.jpg

After sweeping and wetting down the floor then clearing it out, this is what I was left with

100_0563.jpg

Finished up the sanding on the antenna..

100_0564.jpg

And on the rear wiper/emblem holes

100_0560.jpg

100_0570.jpg

100_0571.jpg

This is what it looks like now. Neat and organized.

100_0573.jpg

Look who's riding shotgun for now :thumbsup:

100_0568.jpg

Stealthmode oil feed/return kit

100_0575.jpg

Shot of the feed line attached

100_0567.jpg

Where the turbo sits for now..

100_0569.jpg

And the powerplant.. hiding under the table for now.

Tomorrow I need to clean the car up and everything else.. then I should be good to go.

Blehh.. I suck at photography.

Anyway, I'm in the process of laying the sealer on the car right now. Should have some pics here in a few to show you all.

What is this like a quadruple post? Epic fail thread.

eh, I know I'm just now deciding to chip in here, but I have been following your thread for quite some time. It's an awesome build, and I can't wait to see it all back together. You've kinda got my wheels spinning because I'm in the middle of doing my LS swap into my EG (you're part of the reason I chose LS), and the care and time you're putting into this is awe inspiring. I'm jealous of the garage space too. I'm lucky to fit a car in the garage, let alone be able to work on it!

eh, I know I'm just now deciding to chip in here, but I have been following your thread for quite some time. It's an awesome build, and I can't wait to see it all back together. You've kinda got my wheels spinning because I'm in the middle of doing my LS swap into my EG (you're part of the reason I chose LS), and the care and time you're putting into this is awe inspiring. I'm jealous of the garage space too. I'm lucky to fit a car in the garage, let alone be able to work on it!

Thanks for the kind words man! It does mean alot. Few people can recognize the hours and effort that a decent paint job demands.

Hows the LS swap going for ya? Its a great little motor with tons of potential. :)

Back