1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mr. and the future Mrs. Bob Vila's new house?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Bob Vila, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Bob Vila

Bob Vila ɐןıʌ qoq Admin VIP

Well, the time has come where we are thinking of purchasing a new home. The condo is nice, but we are thinking of starting a family in the next 5 years and well, condo living isn't that great for small kids. So while the condo market is still somewhat hot we're looking to jump ship and take the plunge...

We foudn what we wanted and in great time - New Construction in the same side of town as Brian is.

Details: 2000 sq. ft. 1 Car garage, 3br, 2.5 bath. Great Room, Dining Room, Kitchen, Breakfast Nook, Office, Full basement, MBR/ Walk in closet, MBR Bath, Cathedral Ceiling in MBR, laundry on 2nd floor. Central Air. HW Floors, choice of cabinets, etc.

We're really excited as we were going to build this style of house after the wedding however the rpice is right as long as we agree to the monthly mortgage price when we get pre-qual'd.

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

Great Room into the kitchen
    [​IMG]

Powder room into the Office:
    [​IMG]

Front door into the dining room:
    [​IMG]

Kitchen into the Great Room:
    [​IMG]

Front Porch:
    [​IMG]

MBR:
    [​IMG]

Future Mrs. Bob Vila's WIC:
    [​IMG]

View from our MBR:
    [​IMG]

Foyer:
    [​IMG]

Garage/Basement (partition has to be built yet
    [​IMG]

We sent info over to the mortgage broker to get pre-qualed. Shouldn't have any problem as I did some prelim calculators and have been given estimates of 450k plus :) Should find out in a day or two :):):)

2. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Now is definately THE time to get out of a Condo. You see some of these prices ? Gawd DAM

So that's your prequal, but what's the price of the house ?

3. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

so you are basically buying a pre-constructed house and can pick what you want inside?

thats awesome!

4. Bob Vila

What the fuck is your problem?

5. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Whoa what's that about?

But shit I like the style of the house. Almost like a craftsman. For the exterior what are you going to do for a finish? Might I suggest some high end sanded shingles atop some nice cedar bevel with white brick style trim? :yum:

And I love the idea that you can design and do whatever you want to the interior. Honestly, you're at the point in the process when the owner comes into play and tells the builder what they want, what color, etc. Do it!

6. TurboMirage

no no steve, i really do think its awesome. seriously. no sarcasm meant at all :)

its like buying a car, but just a shell. pick and choose what you want inside.

7. Bob Vila

well christ man, throw a fucking smiley in there or something before I pinch a fit and start throwing shit. :)

And yes, we pick everything out from this point forward. We can add/change/delete walls if we want as well.

8. TurboMirage

my bad :mrgreen:

i think this would be the easiest house buy ever. the hard work is already done, just make it what you want inside. its probably cheaper in the long run as well.

9. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

It also looks like the electrical and isn't done. Are you up with coping with that?

Also you should look into hardwiring the entire place, and doing all your home theatre, etc. while you still can. It'd make life real easy for you down the road.

10. TurboMirage

11. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

nice looking place steve
    is that first pic the front or the back??? looks like a back but it doesnt make sense that the garage would be behind the house
    [​IMG]

12. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

Cat 6e FTW!

And WiFi is cool too...

13. TurboMirage

sure why not? 6e is hardly even more expensive per foot.

i can hook steve up with a ton of cable for wicked cheap.

14. StealthMode

StealthMode Kung Foolin'

I don't even see how you would have read that wrong. :) But damn man, that house looks bad ass. It would be so easy just to point and tell everyone where to put everything. You can have a say in pretty much everything, and that can save a LOT of headaches.

15. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

seriously...have that shit wired for ethernet now...it was a bitch to do my house...texas...august...every room getting a network plug (living room, family room downstairs, family room upstairs, my room, moms room and then hub everything in the office...took me over a week...basically did one room a day for a week. Its worth it...especially if youre a gamer...then i got my laptop and now i have ethernet in everyroom AND wifi.

16. Bob Vila

I did that in my mothers old house and it was nice, but it was a bitch to maintain. I think I might just stick with my wifi as I will have an office for my setup...we'll see though

First pic is of the front...

17. YouKnowWhoIBee

YouKnowWhoIBee my avatar is better.

My father did the whole development deal... He said he would never do it again. They give you offers on what is available but as soon as it is done it changes. Like windows on both sides of the house. You would think you could do it but they didnt want us looking into our neighbors windows at night and all. Alot of options on the kitchen, basement and masterbath. The stress cracks are bad at times, and they are still coming out to fix unpainted drywall, squeky doors, and electrical wiring. They slapped out house together in 14 weeks. Pennsylvania is alot cheaper than CT for sure though... he got a 4000 sq. ft house for 239,000 after closing. So not bad but we get no yard, or quietness ubtill the development is done building.

18. Bob Vila

Yeah, luckily, I know the developers as the contractor built my mothers house and his father moved next door to her. Hopefully he'll be cool and give us some play money or something. We are also getting a warranty with this above the normal 1 year that comes iwth new home buying in Ct. A 4000 sq. ft. house in Ct, regardless of city would start around 550k and thats for a run of the mill house with no architectural design elements that would make it unique.

Should hear today on our qual status, we should be no where near our max purchase limit with this.

19. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

good luck!!!! looks sweet [​IMG]

so when is B going to open up Mortgageswap.com??? [​IMG]

20. ripperbone

ripperbone angry bear

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted