multicore processers?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

im up to 3.2 right now. i could do 3.6, but that would involve more testing, tinkering, and lots of time i dont feel like spending just yet. plus im keeping the rig as quiet as possible, going up to 3.6 ill prob have to up the fan speeds. i want it quiet :)

Who needs fans? ;) 3.6 is the minimum target. If I can make it to 4.0, that's my ideal target.

If the Yorkfields are anything like the Wolfdales then quad-core reaching 4.0ghz will be a breeze. 3.0ghz is still pretty amazing since its pumping twice as much heat as Core 2 Duos.

thanks everyone for the discussion, helped me make my decision. I'm gonna go quadcore, but not till august. Pulled a credit report and went over the finances, and if I stay focused and payoff my credit cards and the one loan I have the refi on the mortgage should go extremly well in july. I should be able to knock off about $150 a month on the mortgage. So hopefully you'll all be this helpfull come august when I post my new computer build thread.

If the Yorkfields are anything like the Wolfdales then quad-core reaching 4.0ghz will be a breeze. 3.0ghz is still pretty amazing since its pumping twice as much heat as Core 2 Duos.

But I have a B3 stepping "old school" Q6600. I'm sure I'll still get at least 3.6 once I'm done building everything else I have in queue. I have to finish the Home Server first! Maybe putting together the pile of parts for the version 3 of the HTPC, then I'll start overclocking the main PC again. The main tower is just a pain to rip apart and put back together again, especially with all the new hoses, blocks, radiator and pump... it's a total revamp.

thanks everyone for the discussion, helped me make my decision. I'm gonna go quadcore, but not till august. Pulled a credit report and went over the finances, and if I stay focused and payoff my credit cards and the one loan I have the refi on the mortgage should go extremly well in july. I should be able to knock off about $150 a month on the mortgage. So hopefully you'll all be this helpfull come august when I post my new computer build thread.

Debt > *

oh a b3, i dunno. ive only seen a couple g0's that did 4.0. they seem to hit a wall around 3.6-3.8.

but im folding on a few machines now. my 3.2GHz q6600 is like 90-100% 24/7 now haha

Back