My B18 swap in a 90 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiterabbit06

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
VIP
This is basically what I have done so far with this car. It is a 1990 civic hatch with a B18a1 engine in it I bought it running and driving from the junkyard for $300. I decided to pull the engine and build it up but before I did that I noticed a lot of the wiring was burnt up so I decided to rewire it myself. Hence the teg manual. I figured the engine and ecu are from an teg why not make a teg wire harness for the civic. Rather than spending the money on a harness or risk getting a shot harness from the yards I started doing it myself. I have all the pinouts for the ecu and my hand drawn pictures for the plugs I don't have. Since I get all the wire and solder I need I'm cutting the old wire and soldering on new wire and it doesn't cost me anything.

wires.jpg

wires2.jpg

wires3.jpg

wires4.jpg

wires5.jpg

wires6.jpg

wires7.jpg

wires8.jpg

wires9.jpg

wires10.jpg

wires11.jpg

wires12.jpg

wires13.jpg

wires14.jpg

wires15.jpg

speedo.jpg

guage.jpg

plug.jpg

connector.jpg

If anyone wants anymore pics let me know.

Last edited:
What your doing is the most dreaded part of engine swaps.

I must say I like what you are doing though, All the new wiring looks clean. Its a good idea routing all the wiring though the firewall using those connectors.

Good luck on the wiring, When this is done you should have your self a nice reliable little hatch. I look forward to seeing what you do with this :)

It's really not that hard assuming you have some kind of a background in that sort of work.

I do really like those connectors you chose as well.. as you should be able to basically hide all the wiring from sight from the engine compartment.

Do you know if those are available for purchase to the average consumer at all? I might be interested in using something like that when I find a shell to install my B16 into..

I haven't quite been able to find anyplace on the internet to buy one but there were some on ebay and one site has them for like $80 a peice.

Those same wheels came with my Prelude when I bought it.. that's crazy I've never seen them on another car anywhere before.

I ripped them off a VW Rabriolet at the scrapyard and painted them I have to redo it though. The guy who had the VW took the tag from the Rabbit and the Cabriolet and mixed them. I thought it was funny.

nice work so far, are you going to tuck all your wires?
diggin the old school rims too.

despite the interior the car looks like it is in nice shape... and the b18 should be a torque rocket for that car. seeing it makes me want one!! i hope you keep updating and tell us how the car drives in the end. :)

As far as the wires I'm going to have the cannon plug (the round 37 pin plug) going through the firewall behind the engine for all of the engine wires. For the lights and turn signals I'm going to route them around the wheel wells. The battery cable is set up for a rear install and the fuseboxes are going to be inside. Basically the only wires that will be in the engine bay will be engine essentials. Like I said when I got it it was running and for the little bit that I drove it it was quick as it was. I broke down the engine and as far as I could tell it is stock. I had to put it back together to move it. I'm planning on ripping it apart this weekend.

That's really sexy. I wish I could go without my car long enough to do that.

A+ for rewiring everything. I assume you do something similar to this for a living - correct?

Regardless, VERY clean job. And the canon plug is badass. :D

Not really, it's more of a hobby. I used to do a lot of work on car sterios and electronics so I had some time with wires. Now I'm just a mechanic.

Just got finished ripping the engine out of the car. I can't seem to find any other markings on the tranny other than YSK.I'm not sure what that means.

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

Last edited:
Mounted the engine on its stand and got the crank pulley, water pump, pressure plate, cluth disk and flywheel off. I'm going to bring the block, tranny and head to work this weekend to pressure wash it. Get it nice and clean.
DSC00228.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

Cool.. looking at all those parts torn apart makes me want to go work on my car :)

At least you're getting a break from the electrical! Looks like fun, man. What part of FL are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back