my EJ Build: Take 2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I sense a bit of sarcasm. I understand there purpose, I just wonder how often something terrible actually happens.

Point taken about the cover being necessary and I will make one soon so I don't destroy my engine.

I sense a bit of sarcasm. I understand there purpose, I just wonder how often something terrible actually happens.

Point taken about the cover being necessary and I will make one soon so I don't destroy my engine.
No sarcasm bro - not even a little - well not by design anyway. I thought my way throught that one as I was typing it. That about how fast my brain works - probably why I sometimes say stupid things.

I would guess it doesn't happen often. Probably because most vehicles have the covers on them.

How likely is it? I would think not very likely.

Last edited:
Sorry its hard to tell on the internet. I guess its one of those things where you could drive around for a hundred thousand miles and never have a problem. Or you could pull down your driveway 10 seconds after starting the car for the first time and have a pebble get stuck and shred the motor. I guess it is a simple piece of insurance and there is no reason not to have it.

That's my take on it. Not worth risking what "Could" happen.

I want to try and make one that I can take off without having to remove the crank pulley. I am thinking about using a sheet of aluminum. I don't think it would be too hard. If it does not work out I can always buy a new middle cover and use the oem one.

Well after looking at the cover I have come to the decision that making one is a little beyond my fabricating skills. I could probably figure it out with enough time, but time is something I do not have enough of right now. I guess I will just buy the missing piece and use the oem one. I really wish they made them easier to put on and take off. I really hate removing the crank pulley.

It ain't that frickin bad - damn, ya rebuilt the whole phuking thing already - this is a simple 1 or 2 beer job!

I don't know what belts you have on it - mine is alternator only. Then, pull one bolt and it's off.

:cool:

My Gf just got her next job and guess where it is. She is teaching at an elementary school that is 4 miles from Roebling raceway.

MOTHER FUCKING WOOT!!!!! I will be moving within ten to fifteen miles from Roebling. The civic will become an all out track car soon. Well not soon, but in the next year.

So vtecsir1, let me know if you ever make it to Roebling. BBQ on me.

We are looking for a house to rent right now and not having much luck. I can't find a damn garage. We found a couple of ok places but they don't even have a carport.

Any updates?

Honestly I would run the lower cover only but you are going to want to run it for sure if you are getting on the track. It doesnt seem likely BUT when you are out on the track you would surprised where you get little tire marbles in and on your car. If you have an OBD 2 oilpump then get the OBD 2 cover which shouldnt be more than about 35 bucks brand new.

Roebling is a slick track which is a blast, I will deff. hit you up when I head up there hopefully like I was telling you for the double license school in Feb 2012 or maybe darksidede in Nov. 11.

No updates yet. I have been packing and moving for the last couple of weeks. We are down in savannah as of yesterday, but we are still looking for a house. I am going to get a new lower cover soon I just have not had a chance.

The first things on my list to do are get the suspension inspected by a shop here that builds a lot a racers. I need a professionals opinion on whether it would hold up to track time. Next thing is a new windshield. The one on the car right now is scratched to hell. I also need to pick up a helmet. There are a couple of track days coming up in the next couple of months that I would like to attend.

I will certainly do that. I have been looking into spherical bearings a little today. I also want to upgrade the coilovers. What shocks do you use? I know it probably says in your thread, but I am limited to phone internet for the time being and it is hard to search properly.

Ah, this is why you were asking about the sphericals in my thread. :)

Suspension, how serious are you? Koni 3011 and any coil is a good combo. Or go like me and get some JRZ RS's and any 2.5" spring. I'm running 800F 900R rates. Thinking putting the 900 up front and 1200's in the back.

Yeah that's why I was asking. I am always serious when it comes to suspension. I understand the importance of good footing and I want to make sure the car handles well before I get into adding power. I was actually looking at the koni's earlier and I think they might be more my speed for now. The jrz's are quite an investment. I think I should start a bit smaller then that. However I do not mind upgradeing to sperical bearings. I think they would be money well spent.

Back