my EJ Build: Take 2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Still haven't fixed the idle, but I am pretty sure that it has something to do with the map on the chip. I have switched back to the second chip and the idle is ok it just gets a little low sometimes, but it is steady. The problem is that if I adjust it up much more then it starts to hunt. With the original chip form phearable my idle hunts in the 1k's with the idle screw all the way in. If I reset the ecu it idles perfectly at around 800 until I drive it. After driving the idle starts to hunt.

So both chips seem to have problems that cause idle issues. I am think that if I ever get around to tuning it then my problem will go away.

I am going to spend some time this week fixing some of the rattles and squeaks. I have been meaning to replace the tie rods, so I will do that this week. Also I am going to put the rear sway bar back on, and reset the front bumper and dr fender. There is a gap around the headlight that I have been to lazy to fix.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to use for sound deadening on the floors and door panels?

I also found an old Kenwood amp that my gf had. I think I am going to hook up my speakers to it for a bit of extra sound. Its been a looooong time since I messed with car audio, so I may be asking some questions. More updates and pics through out the week.

I got a couple of things done today. First I painted my windshield wipers. They were painted white over black before and the paint was chipping off really bad.

2011-03-21_12-37-28_510.jpg

2011-03-21_12-37-43_313.jpg

Next I spent some time realigning the bumper, dr side fender, and headlight. I just threw it back together when I finished the swap and it has been bugging me. The corner rattled like crazy. I was not able to get it perfect. For some reason the bumper wont flush to the corner light like its supposed to.

Before:

2011-03-21_10-00-41_732.jpg

2011-03-21_10-00-53_42.jpg

2011-03-21_10-01-01_114.jpg

After:

2011-03-21_12-03-21_324.jpg

2011-03-21_12-03-32_258.jpg

I also fixed some of the rear bumper. A few sections were loose causing a nasty rattle from the exhaust.

Before:

2011-03-21_11-19-54_532.jpg

2011-03-21_11-20-02_789.jpg

After:

2011-03-21_12-03-46_851.jpg

2011-03-21_12-03-54_617.jpg

Tomorrow I am changing the tie rods and bellows, and putting the sway bar back on. If I have time I will wire up the amp as well.:mellow:

Thanx. Now if I could just keep it clean as in free from pollen. :mad: I put the rear sway bar back on today and changed out the tie rods and rack bellows. I just got used to how crappy the steering was, but now I am happy. Gonna have to get an alignment now.

2011-03-22_14-47-56_73.jpg

2011-03-22_13-31-00_843.jpg

2011-03-22_12-52-22_668.jpg

I washed the car today to clean all the grease from the tie rods off. I never posted any pics of the car with the new polished wheels, so here are few shots.

2011-03-23_10-41-02_852.jpg

2011-03-23_10-41-31_734.jpg

2011-03-23_10-42-46_34.jpg

Yeah they are all next to each other. I had an obd dizzy from my d series that I took the plug from. I cut it off at the base so I would have plenty of slack. Maybe since I used oem plugs and the original wire there is no shielding problems.

Thanx taco and matt for the compliments.

Took of my valve cover to redo. The paint is chipping off like crazy. I painted it a while back, but it just did not last. Any way here is the before and after.

2011-03-25_14-22-35_956.jpg

And here is how I am leaving it for now. I kinda like the bare look.
2011-03-28_14-49-41_88.jpg

Tomorrow I am getting an alignment and I am going to get new sway bar end links from summit (20 minutes away). I tried calling Skunk2 all day to get replacement control arm bushings for the rear, but the bastards never answered. I called 6 times through the day and left two messages. i will also pick up an inline fuse for the amp and some wire for the remote wire.

Nice build!

I have that steering wheel toobut mine doesnt look nearly as good as yours does anymore.

Get that thing to Roebling!

Well I got up this morning ready to go...and got nothing accomplished. I went to the alignment shop this morning at 8:00 on the nose. I get inside and see the price chart on the wall. $79 for alignment $99 for lowered or modified suspension. No big deal except the guy comes back 20 minutes later and tells me that they can not get my car on the lift. I am thinking to my self "If you have prices for lowered/modified cars then that means you can align them, right." So I leave and call around looking for another shop. I find one and call, but I have to make an appointment. Cool, but I say "Look I have a lowered civic and the place I just went to was not able to get my car on the lift. Can you still work on my car?" The guy tells me "That should not be a problem...If we can get corvettes on the lift a civic is no problem." I go in at 12:45 for a 1:00 app. and they put a couple of boards down and drive my car right on up, no problems. They even brought me in the garage to show me the bad bushings and thoroughly explain the problem, which I knew about, but its the principle. An hour later I have good front end alignment and almost good rear align. My camber is off by 1.8/1.7 degriees in the rear because of the bad lower control arm bushings.

I called skunk2 yesterday 6 times and left two messages. No response. Today I called three times. On the third I finally get in line to have my call answered. I waited on hold for about 30 minutes and then the message comes on that says "You are next inline to be helped", then it transfers me to voicemail. Needless to say I left an angry message commenting on the poor customer service. I called back about an hour later and FINALLY got through to a person. He proceeds to tell me that it will 5-6 weeks until they get more bushings in :angry:. Now I have to search all their authorized dealers to see if anyone has any in stock. I SWEAR I WILL NEVER BUY FROM SKUNK2 AGAIN (not the first time I have had cust. ser. issues with them).

Needless to say I never got around to replacing the end links or picking up the rest of the audio parts that I need.

:endrant:

Bright side of the day...I found an honest shop in town. Sorry for the rant. The car drives great right now though.
I forgot to mention that the alignment only cost $60 and they are going to fix the rear camber for free when I get the bushings.

Last edited:
Well I finally got the bushings. I ordered them on 3-30-11. The place I ordered them from told me the had them in stock and would arrive either that friday or the following monday. I called on tuesday, because I had not yet received an invoice or any tracking info, and they told me some nonsense about having to find out if they were in stock. Finally on thursday I got an invoice and tracking. I was out of town and when I got back and got the boxes they had missed one bushing. I called and was met with more headache. Long story short the missing bushing finally arrived yesterday...20 days later. That company has been pretty good in the past, but this time was terrible. I guess I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Everyone messes up sometimes.

Anyway I installed all the new bushings and the car feel great. I also installed the amp and added some insulation to the interior to help with the sound.

Here is a couple of shots from the progress.
2011-04-20_10-03-25_884.jpg

2011-04-14_11-09-27_890.jpg

2011-04-14_11-09-22_85.jpg

The old bushings

2011-04-20_09-36-00_687.jpg

Back