my EJ Build: Take 2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Werd. They look pretty newish, but those bushings are damn gnarly.

They are about 4 years old. However they only have about 3 years worth of light driving. My car was down for a lot of time in those few years and I don't really drive that much. Skunk2 admittedly used crappy bushings until recently.

Thats retarded, they have one of the most expensive LCAs on the market and you get that. Oh well, are they poly at least?

As far as I can tell they are exactly the same. The old ones had 8 grooves for grease and the new ones have 5. We will see how they hold up. I would have just bought new LCA's, but $30 > $150+. Some people got free replacements, but I missed that boat.

What did you use to lube components during the motor assembly? Marvel Mystery oil?

What about the ring compressor? Looks like a decent one. What brand and where to get one?

Last edited:
I don't remember exactlly what the lube was called. I got both at autozone. The ring compressor was a rental.

Last edited:
I have to replace the inner tie rods now. Yesterday I took my car in to get the alignment finished up after replacing the bushings, and between the last time I was in and yesterday my pass. side inner tie rod has gone bad. I picked two up today and I will install them tomorrow. I think I am going to get some SS brake lines this week as well.

I also am trying to polish my windshield. Anyone know of a good way to do this? I bought a kit yesterday and tried it out today. Lets just say it did not work. I think it actually added a few scratches. I have been reading a little online about it, and some people say it can be done fairly easily, while others say it is next to impossible. I would really like to polish it rather than replace it if I can.

Oh and Mod-Man2

418YHKM896L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Time for a little update. I have been having idle issues for a long time now and I have finally fixed the problem. I do not know exactly what the cause was, but I don't care because it is gone now. I had been tossing around the idea of switching intake manifolds. The one I was using was an obd2 mani that I had to modify to use the TA sensor. I had to block off two vacuum bungs with hose and screws. Also I had to modify the coolant hose so that I could get coolant to the iacv. I was looking around on a local forum and found a guy that wanted to trade an obd1 mani for my old d series shift linkage, so I made the trade. I cleaned up and painted the mani and replaced all the gaskets, and now no more surging. I was never able to find any vacuum leaks before, but that must have been the problem. Here are a few pics of the IM before and after and some of the engine bay as it stands right now.

Old mani as I am taking it out.
2011-05-11_09-45-04_336.jpg

Some before with air craft stripper on it.
2011-04-29_10-43-12_168.jpg

2011-04-29_10-43-35_872.jpg

After. I polished all the mating surfaces (finished with 1000 grit).
2011-05-02_15-14-43_821.jpg

2011-05-02_15-14-52_725.jpg

A few of the engine bay.
2011-05-17_09-36-04_75.jpg

2011-05-17_09-36-17_899.jpg

2011-05-17_09-36-57_125.jpg

2011-05-17_09-36-41_924-1.jpg

2011-05-17_09-37-08_644-1.jpg

The black paint job on the intake manifold looks great - I'm going to paint mine now before assembly. Will sandblast it along with the valve cover and paint both.

:thumbsup:

wheres your timing cover? :bash:

other than that, the bay looks awesome. :thumbsup:

I am missing the middle part so I took it off...is it that big of a deal?

I am sure the strut bar is probably cheaper than the spoon.

Last edited:
Is it dangerous? I know something could get caught between the belt and pulley, but I have seen other cars without it. I wonder if I could make one out of sheet metal. The plastic one rattled so bad that it drove me crazy. It might have been because the center piece was missing.

Is it dangerous? I know something could get caught between the belt and pulley, but I have seen other cars without it. I wonder if I could make one out of sheet metal. The plastic one rattled so bad that it drove me crazy. It might have been because the center piece was missing.
I was just messing with ya bro.

Just get one from the junk yard and if it rattles get a large tube of RTV and go to work on it. That'll do the trick and you will still be able to remove it without much of a problem. I see a lot of them off in pictures. Probably best to keep the belt and stuff covered for longevity.

I always run the covers on mine.

Still like that black intake manifold - Mine will be painted tomorrow - may do the valve cover to match - not sure - after the stuff is sandblasted I need to paint the intake, valve cover and oil pan.

Last edited:
I think I will make one. I really don't like how cheap the oem ones look. Plus a one piece cover would have less room to rattle. I have a serious problem when it comes to rattles. They drive me crazy.

Thinking it over a bit - the "Why". Why do they put covers on the timing belt in the first place? I can't think of a reason why one is necessary. Other belts run out in the open. Serpentine, alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor, etc.

Wait a minute, here's probably why they cover it - the timing belt performs a critical function so if something from the road bounced up or deflected into it the results could be catastrophic - which is not the case with other system belts. It's an unlikely scenario, but a possibility and the results are such that it's not worth the risk.

Sure glad I figured that out!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Back