My newest build for SCCA STL/HPDE's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nice it is removable.

Ian,
Petty bars are also used in NASA CCR if your rear stays are not to spec or you're missing them completely. You sometimes see some roadster race cars (and like 914's and Fiero's) with them that have little to no room behind the cage for the rear stays.

15.5.11.A Rear Braces - Exceptions
On cars where the rear window/bulkhead prohibits the installation of rear braces
(Porsche 914, Pontiac Fiero, etc.) the main hoop must be attached to the body by
plates welded to the cage and bolted to the stock shoulder harness mounting location.
There must also be a diagonal bar connecting the top of the main hoop to the lower
front passenger side mounting point (“Petty bar”). Some cars built for racing in other
recognized sanctioning bodies may be granted a waiver of this rule, however they must
show proof of compliance with the current published rules for their class.

Your Pilot can tow 4500 if you avoid long grades. In FL I think you will be fine. For the 2WD Pilot they took out the trans cooler to save $$$. Only the most severe testing warranted the trans cooler to get the 4500lb rating (severe as in climbing long hills in Death Valley pulling a 5000lb trailer, full throttle everywhere) The chassis, hitch, etc is fine for 4500.

When did they do this? I was curious because if you look on Honda's website now they list the new pilot at 2000lbs and 4wd still at 4500lbs. My manual says 3500 still, so I'm curious if they took them off for the 2012 models. I dunno, I don't think I will have a problem I just don't want them to not warranty stuff if its because of over towing. Really though my trips would be short and flat roads for the most part.

I can have a short trailer built by my cage guy for under 2k that would weigh around 1k lbs which would put me at a perfect weight total.

I ordered some R888 Toyos last night for $345 shipped! I hope they actually come! onlinetires.com has a deal on them since nobody likes that tire really, they will be good to start a season on until I have a new set of hoosiers.

Ya, that onlinetires.com deal is screaming for 205/50/15. Wish they did that for the 225/45/15 hankooks. :p

Ya but Hankooks dont suck

Spec Miata guys freaked when Toyo replaced the ra1s with these....thats why SM has gone to the Hoosier sm6 now, which could mean a price drop on them.

These will still be ok for the price though.

Honda Challenge tried the R888's and hated them. Demanded the RA1's back and Toyo actually continued producing them. Then they got hit with Tsunami which made delivery difficult and then HC opened up their tire spec as well. They're all running hoosiers now as well and don't want to switch back to RA1's.

I just registered for Sebring Oct 1st with NASA HPDE2 to start until I get a ride along...nice testing day I hope..Im driving the car there, I just said screw it lol. aaa+ if all fails

Good call! AAA is perfect for that. My clutch was slipping all the way back from Beaverun a few weeks ago. I made it back with not having to call, but I always take the card for just that reason. I wonder if they would bitch if they had to pick the car up right in the lot?

Nope lol...me at Sebring last year when I blew my motor at the TA.

cggt.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you do, but now you have a date you need to meet which will force you to finally get it done. :p

Yes thats kind of why I went ahead and just paid the entry fee to force myself lol.

I even downloaded open proj and setup a network diagram with durations and shit like its a real project being managed.

My wife teaches project management so this was her recc rather than my check list. It actually is very helpful and should help me complete things in time and on time.

Last edited:
LOL,
My wife is a project manager. She would love that. You have a gantt chart too showing your dependencies? lol

gantt chart/bar chart yeah lol
My wife used to be a project manager in civil engineering before that business basically became non existent.

Still working on filling it all in.
projectn.jpg

I got the Conti slicks mounted.

dsc0147hl.jpg

Roll cage shots. Sorry a few didnt come out so hot and I was trying to get a lot done so I didnt get a lot. I will get more after I paint it.

dsc0146px.jpg

dsc0145zgt.jpg

dsc0144de.jpg

dsc0143zt.jpg

dsc0142gm.jpg

dsc0141t.jpg

dsc0139w.jpg

dsc0138t.jpg

dsc0136ud.jpg

dsc0135usc.jpg

dsc0134ls.jpg

Im excited as hell! Saturday is the big day!

I also found a very small trailer for a very low price Im going to look at this week so things are starting to come together.

Im working on a pretty nice dash setup right now too that should be done before I go.

Last edited:
word, I don't have them either.

No I paid to have it done. I actually need to go back and have a triangulation done meeting at the petty bar from the rear shock towers. That could have been what gsrcrx was talking about.

Im buying a trailer tomorrow if all goes well!

Back