1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Quick!

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by Mech, May 16, 2003.

1. Mech

Mech Banned

My 88 CRX dx broke its timing belt yesterday.(ouch) My friend says that I could probably pull off an EX Vtec Head swap for 500 or 600$. I need to know what is needed, and a cost estimate. I was also thinking that I would just convert to Si(I know I have to convert to mpfi). I really don't know what I should do. This is my daily driver and I would like to get her back on her feet as soon as possible; and of course a little h/p wouldn't hurt anything. So please help! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

2. honda_mach3

honda_mach3 Senior Member

just get a new motor, ZC or b16a gen 1.

3. Mech

Mech Banned

Will the ZC motor hook up with any d-series tranny? Also does the d15b VTEC hook up with the d-series tranny

4. thetoymaker

thetoymaker Senior Member

I would borrow about 700 more and get a b16a going.

5. Mech

Mech Banned

from where buddy.Can I get some REAL help please...

6. Mech

Mech Banned

come on, help me out, please.

7. Slo86GT

Slo86GT Super Moderator

Pull the engine out of a 92-95 EX or Si for $300~ish. D16z6 is the engine code, SOHC VTEC.

Then get a an 88-91 Civic or CRX Si Engine harness. $50

Then you need the ECU out of that 88-91 Civic/ CRX. $50

A little wiring, a few odds and ends (like a RPM activated switch), and you've got a 125 HP DX.

8. Mech

Mech Banned

Thanks, that's a good idea. Anyone know where I can get a dohc ZC, or single ZC for pretty cheap. I would like it to be located on the east coast do to shipping charges if you can.

9. solblu

solblu Senior Member

Just go to a junk yard and get a D16A6 (SOHC ZC), or get one online = $150 tops
    Do the MPFI conversion, get D16A6 ECU = $50
    Everything else should come with the motor
    Then if you want more power get a B series Throttle body and a Cam from Deltacams = $150 at most
    If you still want to spend more get the CRX Si tranny $150

Where are you located on the east coast?

10. Mech

Mech Banned

charlotte NC. Thanks for the help

11. solblu

solblu Senior Member

12. WhItE90CRX

WhItE90CRX Member

I would just get a DOHC ZC for $525 (not shipped), but I think that you will be way more happy with a DOHC zc than the single. www.quickhonda.net has cheap motors for sale.

13. importhatch

importhatch Junior Member

get the z6. Easy swap and you'll be happy.

Yager-

14. Integrex-Si

Integrex-Si Banned

id rather see you spend $600 engine and tranny for dohc b18b shipped then go zc cuz this has more power and its way faster and if you want down the road you can pull a frank with ease and have a beast in the making............pageland SC, give it up for the carolina's

15. djextremity

djextremity Senior Member

...and $300 for a mount kit, and $200 for axles, and $150 for a shift linkage, and $200 for an ecu, and $50 for an engine harness...should i continue?

zc, best bang for your buck right now, guaranteed.

16. nuc79

nuc79 Senior Member

ZC all the way. Read my recommendation to this guy.

Yours would be the exact same, except use a 5spd instead of an auto ecu.

Here's a place here in FL that has 3 ZCs in stock. I'll bet you could get the motor and JDM PM7 ECU for $600. Or buy the engine/motor/tranny for $700, but then you'd need axles too.

17. SiCrxSi

SiCrxSi Member

singel cam zc = d16a6 ??? I didnt know i have a zc..... :sleep: ....yeah right thats the SI engine code.

go singel cam vtec with SI trany and p28 ecu, build it up and beat b16's all day. Build right and keep up with the bigger engines. Your going to do the mpfi conversion so way not throw in vtec wires, four wire 02 and a little work with injections. make a obd0 to obd1 jumper and bam! VTEC. ZC are cool but yeah. if you want to go old school go ZC... oh yeah you can build them fast too....but yeah VTEC!
    ZC= easy swap + old school = <_<
    SOHC VTEC= VTEC + more time in wiring + better parts + VTEC = :D

18. doofnoil

doofnoil Senior Member

I busted the timing belt on my dx and it didn't screw up the head, I was going about 50 mph when it happened. Those heads are pretty durable when it comes to broken timing belts. If you *want*(key word) to change the timing belt yourself it's not too hard, just be mindful of the crank pulley bolt it's a bitch to get off, but it can be done. That would leave you with ~500 bucks to play with so head down to your local picknpull and see if you can dig up an mpfi swap, the hardware should be around 200-300 bucks, see if you can get the si cam also, it'll give you a little more power. Figure about 50 bucks for odda and ends like sealant, a gasket and wire/solder etc. so you've got about 100-150 left, make a homemade CAI for about 60-70 bucks, then do a good tune up like oil, filter, plugs, wires, clean out the distributor. yu've got a nice little engine and chances are extremely likely that you didn't screw it up so you might as well have a little fun with it while you're saving up for another one.

19. bluepearlintegragsr

bluepearlintegragsr Member

id get a D16z6 if i were you, best bang for the money

20. djextremity

djextremity Senior Member

I still don't know how everyone figures the 5g EX/Si is a better bang for the buck than the ZC. For the same price, you're getting 4 more hp, 2 more ft/lbs torque, and (most importantly) the tunability of two cams! That extra degree of precision alone will account (with proper tuning) for much better increases whenever modifications are made to that engine. The ZC is also a much stronger block than any other D-block. Don't fall for the hype of VTEC; sure, a B16 or B18 will do better than a D in any civic, but when it comes to D vs D, the ZC takes it hands down.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted