Need Help Quick!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mech

Banned
My 88 CRX dx broke its timing belt yesterday.(ouch) My friend says that I could probably pull off an EX Vtec Head swap for 500 or 600$. I need to know what is needed, and a cost estimate. I was also thinking that I would just convert to Si(I know I have to convert to mpfi). I really don't know what I should do. This is my daily driver and I would like to get her back on her feet as soon as possible; and of course a little h/p wouldn't hurt anything. So please help! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Will the ZC motor hook up with any d-series tranny? Also does the d15b VTEC hook up with the d-series tranny

Pull the engine out of a 92-95 EX or Si for $300~ish. D16z6 is the engine code, SOHC VTEC.

Then get a an 88-91 Civic or CRX Si Engine harness. $50

Then you need the ECU out of that 88-91 Civic/ CRX. $50

A little wiring, a few odds and ends (like a RPM activated switch), and you've got a 125 HP DX.

Thanks, that's a good idea. Anyone know where I can get a dohc ZC, or single ZC for pretty cheap. I would like it to be located on the east coast do to shipping charges if you can.

Just go to a junk yard and get a D16A6 (SOHC ZC), or get one online = $150 tops
Do the MPFI conversion, get D16A6 ECU = $50
Everything else should come with the motor
Then if you want more power get a B series Throttle body and a Cam from Deltacams = $150 at most
If you still want to spend more get the CRX Si tranny $150

Where are you located on the east coast?

id rather see you spend $600 engine and tranny for dohc b18b shipped then go zc cuz this has more power and its way faster and if you want down the road you can pull a frank with ease and have a beast in the making............pageland SC, give it up for the carolina's

...and $300 for a mount kit, and $200 for axles, and $150 for a shift linkage, and $200 for an ecu, and $50 for an engine harness...should i continue?

zc, best bang for your buck right now, guaranteed.

singel cam zc = d16a6 ??? I didnt know i have a zc..... :sleep: ....yeah right thats the SI engine code.

go singel cam vtec with SI trany and p28 ecu, build it up and beat b16's all day. Build right and keep up with the bigger engines. Your going to do the mpfi conversion so way not throw in vtec wires, four wire 02 and a little work with injections. make a obd0 to obd1 jumper and bam! VTEC. ZC are cool but yeah. if you want to go old school go ZC... oh yeah you can build them fast too....but yeah VTEC!
ZC= easy swap + old school = <_<
SOHC VTEC= VTEC + more time in wiring + better parts + VTEC = :D

I busted the timing belt on my dx and it didn't screw up the head, I was going about 50 mph when it happened. Those heads are pretty durable when it comes to broken timing belts. If you *want*(key word) to change the timing belt yourself it's not too hard, just be mindful of the crank pulley bolt it's a bitch to get off, but it can be done. That would leave you with ~500 bucks to play with so head down to your local picknpull and see if you can dig up an mpfi swap, the hardware should be around 200-300 bucks, see if you can get the si cam also, it'll give you a little more power. Figure about 50 bucks for odda and ends like sealant, a gasket and wire/solder etc. so you've got about 100-150 left, make a homemade CAI for about 60-70 bucks, then do a good tune up like oil, filter, plugs, wires, clean out the distributor. yu've got a nice little engine and chances are extremely likely that you didn't screw it up so you might as well have a little fun with it while you're saving up for another one.

Originally posted by bluepearlintegragsr@Jun 5 2003, 12:09 PM
id get a D16z6 if i were you, best bang for the money

I still don't know how everyone figures the 5g EX/Si is a better bang for the buck than the ZC. For the same price, you're getting 4 more hp, 2 more ft/lbs torque, and (most importantly) the tunability of two cams! That extra degree of precision alone will account (with proper tuning) for much better increases whenever modifications are made to that engine. The ZC is also a much stronger block than any other D-block. Don't fall for the hype of VTEC; sure, a B16 or B18 will do better than a D in any civic, but when it comes to D vs D, the ZC takes it hands down.

Back