Need Help Quick!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well the D16Z6 is more reliable and easier to get replacement parts for, for one thing. It's also legal to swap in, whereas the ZC isn't (Federal EPA Regs) even though most people don't care.

Originally posted by solblu@Jun 7 2003, 02:15 PM
Well the D16Z6 is more reliable and easier to get replacement parts for, for one thing. It's also legal to swap in, whereas the ZC isn't (Federal EPA Regs) even though most people don't care.

Unless laws changed recently, the ZC is legal in some states. AFAIK, that is part of the states' domain, but that may have changed; I'm not sure. But as for the part about reliability and replacement parts, ANY used engine is only as reliable as the last person who owned it left it. A ZC that had its oil changed every 3000 miles and was never redlined will inherently be more reliable than a D16Z6 which had its oil changed three times in its life and was driven by a hardass ricer, right? And as for replacement parts, there are tons of lists that show which parts can be grafted from other engines (mainly the D16A1 Integra engine). It is true that performance parts are not quite as readily available, but they are still around or other parts can be easily made to work.

But thank you for actually giving a rational answer--I'm sick of people saying "VTEK y0, its the shizznit foreal" =]

the ZC is even legal in cali, by buddy just got his ref'd. so why wouldn't it be legal in other places? somebody got some bad info y0.
DOHC > SOHC.

That's awesome that he did get it ref'd. The ZC IS listed as a legally swappable engine in CA, but the problem is that they are notorious for burning just a little dirty, so a lot of ref stations have just resorted to not wasting their time inspecting them (I know first hand and through word-of-mouth). Where did he get it done?

Back