Need some suggestions..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

02-03 6 speed maxima for sure! not sure what they go for now, but im guessing $10k, maybe less.

i used to have a 03 6 speed with nothing but a cold air intake on it. it was the nicest vehicle ive ever owned. very comfy, very quick, and it got a true 29 mpg on the hwy.

I paid $4k for my 99' with 98k on the clock. The newer 02/03's are starting to go for around $8k in decent shape.

Aww sad, Matt is going to sell his car. I completely understand where you're coming from Matt. It sucks always having something to fix or work on. Especially when the car just isn't worth it.

Don't laugh but I love my Chevy Impala. I got it back in July and havn't got a bad thing to say about it. I got a 2008 for 12,xxx and 36,xxx on the clock. I am sure you could find yourself a cheaper one that is a little bit older. If you are looking aroud get the LT with the 3.9 liter in it - easy give away is that it has dual exhaust.

Older Outback! I'm a sucker for a late 90's outback, white/gold combo with mesh wheels. They look so awesome, they have sort of an agressive rally stance, because of their height and their spoiler and scoop.

Wrx would be they way to go. If you got something new maybe the new taurus............ Twin turbo?

What's your Accord like? A car like the Accord seems to fit the bill of what you're looking for.

+1 on the Maxima idea also...

Hmmm, how about you sell one car, make the other car into a good reliable daily driver and work on school, when you're done with school go buy something nice.
I could probably do that with the Civic. The only problem is during the winter. I'd hate to drive that thing in the snow after just painting it and what not. But I suppose thats why I put a lot of clear on it.
Audi all the way....1.8T. AWD,, great gas milage, nice interior, and if you decide later you want to mod, its easy, get an APR Stage 1+ for some added power or turbo swap for even more power...
An Audi would be nice, but again, the maintenance.. I'm not too confident with German cars so that'd be an added expense..
Sell the accord, keep the civic, and be a college kid with money in the bank. Nothing wrong with that!! Buy a nice car after school is over.
Thought has crossed my mind, but I'm just not too sure how I'd get around in the winter time. Maybe I should just keep things the way they are.
:p
02-03 6 speed maxima for sure! not sure what they go for now, but im guessing $10k, maybe less.

i used to have a 03 6 speed with nothing but a cold air intake on it. it was the nicest vehicle ive ever owned. very comfy, very quick, and it got a true 29 mpg on the hwy.
Thats not too bad. I've never actually been in a Maxima. I should probably sit in one. From what I hear they are actually very nice. I always thought they were kind of an econo box.
I paid $4k for my 99' with 98k on the clock. The newer 02/03's are starting to go for around $8k in decent shape.
8k might be a little much, but I'll look into them. Hell, I'd even settle for something with some mileage. I'll be keeping this car for quite some time after I get out of school I'm sure.

Aww sad, Matt is going to sell his car. I completely understand where you're coming from Matt. It sucks always having something to fix or work on. Especially when the car just isn't worth it.
It's not that the Civic isn't worth it, I definitely enjoy driving the car and having the pride in building it myself is definitely a plus too. The big thing with the Civic is that it is nowhere near close to stock, so the Honda reliability is essentially gone. I would like something that I can jump in every day and know that it's going to make it 500+ miles without a single problem. The Civic hasn't been too re-assuring in that respect. But, it has been on the road for 5k+ miles now with no problems in it's defense ^_^
wrx wagon. those are going for pretty cheap these days.
My dad's friend just picked one up for 14k with only 37k on the clock. I think its an 04. I like the car a lot. It's roomy, AWD, and reliable as hell. Definitely have been considering one of these for a while. We will see what happens with the rest of this winter. I think that will be my deciding factor.
Don't laugh but I love my Chevy Impala. I got it back in July and havn't got a bad thing to say about it. I got a 2008 for 12,xxx and 36,xxx on the clock. I am sure you could find yourself a cheaper one that is a little bit older. If you are looking aroud get the LT with the 3.9 liter in it - easy give away is that it has dual exhaust.
Impalas are good looking cars. I've never really sat in one though. Is it fairly comfortable?
Older Outback! I'm a sucker for a late 90's outback, white/gold combo with mesh wheels. They look so awesome, they have sort of an agressive rally stance, because of their height and their spoiler and scoop.
Thats also a possibility.. I have always liked the look of the older Imprezas and if I'm not mistaken the older outback looks virtually the same from the front?
Wrx would be they way to go. If you got something new maybe the new taurus............ Twin turbo?
Haha new Taurus twin turbo?? Hello 20-30k! :ph34r:
What's your Accord like? A car like the Accord seems to fit the bill of what you're looking for.

+1 on the Maxima idea also...
My Accord is dependable. It just has a lot of miles on it (290,xxx) and it has just about had it. I do have a complete un-assembled F22 sitting in the shop for it. All brand new parts, basically a brand new engine. The thing that is holding me back from putting it in there is the rust on the Accord. The rear quarters (above the wheels) are getting pretty bad. The passenger side I was able to stop but the driver's side is rotting horribly. I con't mind it too much, it's just rather annoying.

Another thing, the heater isn't blowing hot air anymore. The knob for the climate control was missing when I got the car, so I grabbed a pair of vice grips and turned it all the way hot, and still nothing. I think the heater core might be clogged. It's not leaking though.

The alignment is also bad. The car eats tires. It ate my BFG's that I put on there from the Civic. The snow tires are the same story, thats why I only have two on there right now. I will get the car aligned tomorrow and hopefully that will solve the problem.

It leaks oil. Its a fairly large drip, and I have to check the oil daily to be sure I don't run it low.

The engine sounds a little sloppy (I suppose any engine would after 290k of abuse) the bottom end isn't bad, its all in the valvetrain.

The car has an exhaust leak, right before the muffler. I had the muffler replaced right after I bought the car (old one was completely rotted off) and now it is rusting out again right before the new muffler. I took it back to discount muffler, and apparently it's not their fault.

The gas mileage isn't all that great. I can go 350 miles on a tank if I'm nice to it. I suppose this has something to do with the mileage on the engine as well.

Other than that the Accord is fine. The interior is okay, it's got great sound (thanks to me) and it is actually semi-comfortable when the heater is working.

I suppose I could do this:
Drive the Accord for the rest of winter.
When Spring rolls around, park the Accord and drive the Civic.
Tidy up the Accord and put the new engine in:
New Brake pads and rotors
new engine
new shocks
new tires
fix the climate control
fix the heater core
replace gay autozone intake with factory one

and go from there?

why not just sell both and get an older M3 or something? hell maybe even get a bone stock eg/ek hatch, then put $5000 down on something newer when you graduate.

maximas are nice, not econobox cars at all. the 03 i had was a SE and the interior was nice, power everything, comfortable, and spacious. they come with HIDs, and the SE has tight suspension for a big 4 door. plus the vq35 makes it quick and it just sounds so sweet :D

the only negatives i can see are torque steer (it has some with that torquey v6 and fwd), and that it takes premium fuel... and the actual gas mileage i saw was only 17-20 mpg when it was strictly city driving. but with that 6th gear on road trips i recorded 29-30 mpg more than once.

Have you ever considered building your own car? Just get some metal, and screws and shit, and just, go at it?

If that doesn't do it for ya, then to answer your question,

This is the Outback sport, which I think is pretty sweet, I walk past one every day on campus and drool all the fuck over it. If you're wanting a wagon I'd go with this.
22A9F732-B7B3-40C6-8DF3-1A2159CE80C0_1.jpg

This is the one I think you thought I meant, which is meh, compared to the first one IMO.

I can't remember which gen (they both look really good) but theres one of these that has a white top with a gold bottom that looks really F'in good. This was the one I was originally refering to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shit, I don't know why my font went all retarded like that, but I had to shift from G-Chrome to IE to copy/paste pics, so it must have been in the transition, sorry, can you still read it?

I agree with phyregod sell the accord put the money in the bank so you have a little money to use or save, trust me when i was in school i was wishing i had a little spare cash... wait till your out of school then worry about a nicer car

I'm in school right now, and I do have a little extra cash. I figure I'm probably doing better than most right now. I'm just trying to make sure I have something to drive that is reliable.

audi=$, more time, and specail tools that are more prone to wear. My recomendation would a used honda fit. they gettin cheap.

Back