no power with vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Nov 5 2003, 01:25 AM

To answer the ORIGINAL post, i believe your catalitic converter is clogged. My friends civic SI was having the EXACT same symptoms as you are describing. Try running your car with straight header (no exaust connected) and see if that solves the problem. If it doe, change the catalytic converter.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUEL YOU USE!

Do the simple test that i psuggested, and post your results.

Thank you and have a nice day. :D

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.......As for the fuel I will run 93 just to see if it helps any (I WILL CHOKE MY WIFE FOR IT)and as for the cat I will try it as well..
rudeludenotmeanthough: it does kind of make sense now becuause my car was running rich as hell for a couple days and it was blowing shit out....it was my IAT sensor......Does it sound like that could have been the problem.......

:bash:

The stock cams in a b16 will not give you a power increase that you can really feel. I dynoed my b16 and it made 146 whp which lets me know that nothing is wrong, and when my vtec engages it is really loud but you I don't notice anything. The only vtec engagement that I was able to feel was my roomates rsx type s.

well thats sucks then because you can feel a difference in my h22 swapped acord when vtec engages

The stock cams in a b16 will not give you a power increase that you can really feel.  I dynoed my b16 and it made 146 whp which lets me know that nothing is wrong, and when my vtec engages it is really loud but you I don't notice anything.  The only vtec engagement that I was able to feel was my roomates rsx type s.

Ive got my boy's 00 si while he is out to sea and his shit pulls hard as fuck when vtec kicks in..... Granted he does have aftermarket cams..  Even before he put them in it still was a nice boost you know like a 15 shot lol
I hear ya but what motor are you talking about.....and what mods..... [/QUOTE]

Originally posted by b16coupe@Nov 5 2003, 09:16 AM
The stock cams in a b16 will not give you a power increase that you can really feel. I dynoed my b16 and it made 146 whp which lets me know that nothing is wrong, and when my vtec engages it is really loud but you I don't notice anything. The only vtec engagement that I was able to feel was my roomates rsx type s.

:newbie: I am tired of reading all this BS... know what the fuck your talking about befoer you post!! If thats the case with your vtec.. too bad. its f**ked up.

And to 95sir. The IAT sensor can be a source for the problem. Try running straight header. thats the only way you can tell. i am 95% sure thats the problem.

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Nov 5 2003, 01:59 PM

And to 95sir. The IAT sensor can be a source for the problem. Try running straight header. thats the only way you can tell. i am 95% sure thats the problem.

Ok cool I will do it this weekend......IF I need to replace my cat any recomendations of what and where I should get it.....I would like to get it myself in va beach or the surrounding area :)

jus get another stock cat. most are universal, and shops usually charge about $150 or so to install. You could get a HI-Flow cat, but ive heard that these dont really offer much power increase for the money. i would stay with the stock-er.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Nov 5 2003, 07:26 PM
ebay, even if the thing only lasts one inspection it's cheaper then a stock cat.

If it doesnt last, thehn he will be right back to square one, and have the smae problem.

I must have misunderstood what 95sir was originally saying. I thought that he meant there was no increase in power right when vtec engages.

To rudelude--- If my vtec is engaging, how can it be fucked up? Could the ecu be fucking up the vtec fuel curve or what?

Rudelude, he just misunderstood man dont be so quick to jump someones case. I think what he is talkin about is that you cant feel vtec engage, like you dont feel it pull immediately harder at the engagement point. Especially not compared to an H22 or a RSX Type S. You can see the increase in power in their dynos, it is a sharp spike at the engagement point. However most stock b16 dynos dont have a sharp spike at the engagement point. Thats why you cant really feel it engage. I have driven both H22 and B16 powered vehicles and I could feel vtec engage at the engagement point in the H22 but not in the b16. He also said that it dynoed at 144 hp, so obviously there isnt anything wrong with his vtec.

Have you checked your ignition timing? How about your cam timing? My vtec made alot of noise, but didn't go anywhere on my b16 as well. It turned out that my exhaust cam was off a tooth. I would also check your plugs for correct gapping and check the resistence on your plug wires. It may also be the catalytic converter, assuming that you have better-than-stock flowing exhaust. I hope you get it figured out soon. Good luck!

I didn't mean to jump on your case. BUT

I have first hand experience feeling b16's pull hard when vtec kicks in. and for someone to tell me it doesn't, just tells me that people are typing up BS post's.

Sorry if offended anyone, i didnt mean to. Im just trying to help out 95sir.

Originally posted by 5genracer@Nov 6 2003, 10:49 PM
Have you checked your ignition timing? How about your cam timing? My vtec made alot of noise, but didn't go anywhere on my b16 as well. It turned out that my exhaust cam was off a tooth. I would also check your plugs for correct gapping and check the resistence on your plug wires. It may also be the catalytic converter, assuming that you have better-than-stock flowing exhaust. I hope you get it figured out soon. Good luck

First off I want to say thank you for all of your help and I am open to all suggestions....

Here is an update.
I got rid of the all of the 87 crap and filled it will 93. It did not change any.....
I did drop my exhaust and I checked my cat and it doesnt looked clogged. How do I know if it was clogged?
The only thing I saw was a black screen. Oh yeah I did run open header for a few but it was just to dam loud and I couldnt drive it that way. it sounds like a broke dick stang... :D
One thing I did notice was that I did have a very small exhaust leak right behind my cat(it was smaller than a dime), so I broke out the welder and fixed it.
Next I put the exhaust back up, and I changed the oil with Castrol Syntec Blend10w-30 instead of Valvoline 10w-30
After that I started the car and notice som rust chips inside of my tip....I think it may have been from my cat but I dont know.
Sorry so long but wanted to update..

for 5genracer:
I bought new plugs bosch plat 4 and I am not the best at checking the timing but I think it is right.....If it is off will it idle and run ok because it idles and runs great...
what do mean off a tooth? would it cause it to run like crap...it is all new timing stuff as well.

Back