no wonder why kids today can barely read...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Not me, I will buy and pay off the new house we are looking to buy before I'm 35. Go Go Dave Ramsey!

*EDIT he did say "typical american". So he's probably right. Sorry I didn't read that slower before I went mouthing off.

Wow. Lemme borrow your crystal ball.

Just a few months ago.. .things were.. on the rocks - And now you're saying this ? be sure you get a horse stable for your Unicorn. Unless you have the money in your hand right now, don't make a habit of saying that you will "before I'm 35". this is a classic folly.

ok i have a question for you guys...since this thread has devolved (or evolved, more like it) into housing discussion:

what does it 'say' to a guy if a single woman owns a house vs. rents a condo, etc.?

discuss...

That says that she is a hard working woman that can do for herself. He should not be intimidated by this. My opinion, of course. Still have to keep in mind that some people rent because they may not be living in that area for a long time, or they are waiting for the right house to go on the market, ect.

That tells me that shes a no non-sense kinda person who can set goals and meet them. Also, that she would prally expect the same outa the ppl she associates with.

When I see/hear of a woman that is on her own, regardless of renting or purchasing an establishment, I automatically think of maturity and experience. The woman in question obviously knows what she wants and is willing to do what she has to, even if on her own, to get it. She is typically not swayed by others, can think on her own, and has her priorities straight, or straight enough to be able to accomplish what she needs to do.

As for renting vs. buying, when I see a female renting on her own, I typically think a strong woman who has found her niche, but still isn't ready to settle down yet. She may be headed in the right direction, but she isn't certain that the location is right. When I hear of a woman buying on her own, I typically think of longevity. She has found her spot, is comfortable with it, and knows she can get what she needs to sustain herself. A woman that owns her own place compared to renting is probably settled enough to not be prone to moving or changing her lifestyle.

i agree with george here... pretty spot on

For me, a woman with her own place wouldnt be anymore dateable than a woman that didnt. A woman with her own place would prally be more mature, and stimulating to be around versus a woman with room-mates, this is based off my personal experiences, Im not saying that its true in all cases. As for it being a hassle or perk, I wouldnt say it would really be either.

People. Scroll up a few lines.

Look at my avatar.

Look at me.

I own a house.

..... ||||

We have a plan, I'm not asking for an arguement. I know my finances and ...you know what, it doesn't even matter. I'm not going into it. :rolleyes:

in the context, it's completely relevant:

You have this pie-eyed vision that you're so sure of your success that you've already grouped yourself into that crowd. In other words, you picked up a boat trailer and joined the yacht club.

So what does it tell me about you ? You've often wondered who you are to other people, You've thought that you're this great, smug, and wonderfully intelligent person.

I see you as a know-everything teenager archetype - and I wouldn't take you seriously.

renting VS owning means jack shit.

renting can cost as much as owning, its all in where you rent. I renting for 3.5 years and was told I was stupid and was wasting my money by a lot of people, I felt that I was playing the market in the end I saved around 100K on the house I bought, stupid? I don't think so.

A woman owning a house doesn't mean anything about if they want to settle or not, it's not uncommon for a person to buy a starter house then move up from there, its also common for people to rent. renting isn't bad at all, for some reason people look down on it, I for one loved living in a higher end apartment, it was nice having everything done, knowing I didn't have to do jack chit, and still living in a kick ass place. there's apartments in this area that are 1000-2000-3000-4000 a month. again, its all in the life style and what the person wants. I for one loved the fact that I could leave the day my lease was up with zero things keeping me tied down.

Is owning a house great? it all depends, it sucks when the market drops out under you like it would have if I bought 2-3 years ago, but its nice knowing that you OWN the house, even more so when you know you could sell it for more then you paid. Owning a house also sucks when the market is down since you feel that you CANNOT get out of it since you can't take the loss on the money.

so, owning has its ups and downs.

It's another argument I've won.

People. Scroll up a few lines.

Look at my avatar.

Look at me.

I own a house.

..... ||||

i fail to see how you've won an argument regarding single women owning homes vs. renting by pointing out that you're a single guy, 32 and own a home (although you've made it clear you don't own a home but the bank does) - but if you need a small victory to make today livable, this is surely one.

:shrug2:

I'm pointing out that nothing anyone does, is a sign of their personality, ability to succeed, or how pleasant they are to date / get intimate with / start a life with.

None of it matters.

"Look at me"

People answered your question pretty plainly: Even E (regarded for his wisdom) agreed. Neither renting nor owning is a bad thing for a woman - but owning a house (they agree) means something different for a woman.

And I call bunk.

None of it matters. Both of the women I've loved with all my heart misspelled words, couldn't keep up with me in an astronomy conversation, and hardly even understood what I did for a job. That doesn't mean that they weren't worth it.

Pouchy stomachs, acne scarred faces, crooked teeth - even cleanliness and bad choices in makeup - None of it matters.

Nothing that people think, actually matters ! Even "character" isn't gratis, it's not something that people have. It's something that people gain. And do you think Paris Hilton has character ? Do you think Vida Guerra has character ?

Character, to me (and I have to say, I'm smart on this topic) is gained through struggle, conflict and not how successful one is getting out of trouble / miserable situations / financial troubles - But who they are when they actually get out of it.

I have a very different idea of character, I have a very different idea of "good people". I have a different idea of success, and failure. I believe that mine are time tested and water tight. A lot of the people that get tossed aside (Such as myself) for stupid shit like "his car doesn't have heat" and "his clothes have holes in them" and now, "He lost a house" - They are really good people to be around.

Fun, experienced, and not handed everything in life are some of the cornerstones of character.

Part 7: "Have you ever had breakfast with a geologist? It's amazing, Stan. Amazing"

Not one person here on this forum is highly "dateable". No one is. Everyone has their hang-ups.

Challenge: Close your eyes (Well.. you know after reading this). Imagine the kind of woman that would love me.

Wasn't that refreshing ? See ? There is no formula that works for everyone. Brian will find a girl who loves him for his "stability" and "Drive to make money" and "Unwillingness to take a step back for any reason", ad nauseum. They will date for an acceptable amount of time, he will buy her a 3 month salary diamond ring, They will get married, make babies and raise those babies to be stable, have drive to make money, and not be willing to take a step back for any reason.

I will find a girl who will contemplate every question asked for hours on end, accept not even an iota of conditions, speak the truth no matter how much it hurts me, and willingly toss aside all of our hard work for morality. I will put a quarter in a vending machine, put a ringpop on her finger, and we will make babies who speak the truth no matter how much it hurts, always defend morality regardless of cost, and not accept any conditions.

Or, all 4 of us will have teenagers that fucking hate us, and talk about killing us while getting high and fucking strangers on dope.

Because no matter what is built , it really doesn't matter. None of these quantifiable traits are quantifiable in the slightest - We are all just under an illusion. We're jerking off our minds, both having comme-ci comme-ca orgasms and chafing our brains at the same time.

I have a very different idea of character, I have a very different idea of "good people". I have a different idea of success, and failure. I believe that mine are time tested and water tight. A lot of the people that get tossed aside (Such as myself) for stupid shit like "his car doesn't have heat" and "his clothes have holes in them" and now, "He lost a house" - They are really good people to be around.

Fun, experienced, and not handed everything in life are some of the cornerstones of character.

Mutha fuckin :werd:

in the context, it's completely relevant:

You have this pie-eyed vision that you're so sure of your success that you've already grouped yourself into that crowd.

Both of us do. And nothing, short of some catastrophic event can stop us.

So what does it tell me about you ? You've often wondered who you are to other people, You've thought that you're this great, smug, and wonderfully intelligent person.

She is actually a very level headed, very intelligent person. Not "smug" at all, and quite humble. She has a college degree, and is the manager of a branch of one of the biggest banks in the world.

I see you as a know-everything teenager archetype - and I wouldn't take you seriously.

You are blind.

Last edited:
Don't fret phyre, and Mrs Phyre, I've stopped putting stock in what Cel has to say a while ago. A lot of what he has to say are just obscure references which mean nothing to me because they come from his experiences in life. He puts it into such words that half the time I have no idea what he's rambling about. He does get off some good one liners, but other than that I don't really pay attention to his 'reality' posts.

Challenge: Close your eyes (Well.. you know after reading this). Imagine the kind of woman that would love me.

Wasn't that refreshing ? See ? There is no formula that works for everyone. Brian will find a girl who loves him for his "stability" and "Drive to make money" and "Unwillingness to take a step back for any reason", ad nauseum. They will date for an acceptable amount of time, he will buy her a 3 month salary diamond ring, They will get married, make babies and raise those babies to be stable, have drive to make money, and not be willing to take a step back for any reason.

I will find a girl who will contemplate every question asked for hours on end, accept not even an iota of conditions, speak the truth no matter how much it hurts me, and willingly toss aside all of our hard work for morality. I will put a quarter in a vending machine, put a ringpop on her finger, and we will make babies who speak the truth no matter how much it hurts, always defend morality regardless of cost, and not accept any conditions.

Or, all 4 of us will have teenagers that fucking hate us, and talk about killing us while getting high and fucking strangers on dope.

Because no matter what is built , it really doesn't matter. None of these quantifiable traits are quantifiable in the slightest - We are all just under an illusion. We're jerking off our minds, both having comme-ci comme-ca orgasms and chafing our brains at the same time.

For this one I give you a |

Don't fret phyre, and Mrs Phyre, I've stopped putting stock in what Cel has to say a while ago. A lot of what he has to say are just obscure references which mean nothing to me because they come from his experiences in life. He puts it into such words that half the time I have no idea what he's rambling about. He does get off some good one liners, but other than that I don't really pay attention to his 'reality' posts.

Actually, I agree with cel on most things. I'm not "fretting". Just setting the record straight.

I know, he has some good advice, but most of the stuff like "i won another arguement" after his yada yada just makes me lose interest.

Back