Obama from the eyes of a Soldier

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Also I have friends and family who've been to/currently in Iraq. Most of them would agree that they hate Iraq and don't want to be there(minus the action). Sure, they have parts they like and what not, but aren't willing to risk their life or their friend's life for the freedom of a country where half of the population doesn't want them there.

I guess you can say they feel like they're not fighting for America, but rather for "the better" of Iraq.

My family fought in a war that was said to be a mistake also. :-/

Last edited:
Oh trust me, I've thought about this before. Just because I'm not in the middle of a war doesn't mean I don't have a general understanding what exactly is going on.

I might have a biased view since I'm not over in the middle of the war, but the people who are over in the middle of the war are also biased.

But like you said, what do I know? I haven't done any research or talked to all sorts of different people with different perspectives. I'm just living in "mommy's house" right?
Not for one second think you have any clue about what’s going on in Iraq, until you put some boots and an IBA on and your feet touch the soil of that country and you leave the FOB, what opinions you have about the war and about that country are weightless. You can read articles and posts about people’s experiences in Iraq all day and you will still be clueless. I don't care what happens to the standing men and women of that country, they're not the ones placing IED's and ambushing our patrols, but they're doing nothing to prevent it either. it’s the children, the future of that country is what needs our help and everyone who’s in our military signed up knowing they can go to war, as unjust as most of you feel it is... everyone of us who have raised our right hand and sworn an oath knew what we were getting into.

Ron Paul’s "bring ALL the troops home" idea would break this country... billions of dollars of military equipment is placed throughout Europe, Asia and Africa, even bringing our equipment out of Iraq will cost more than the equipment, which is why a lot of it will get left behind. only thing ill agree with Ron Paul on is his stand on universal health care, I refuse to vote for anyone who believes everyone deserves free health care, our hospitals are already stretched thin. While I work my ass off and the crack head laquisha from Tacoma who hasn’t worked in 6 years doesn't deserve to have my taxes pay for her medical while I stand behind her in line when I’m trying to get medical attention, hell... I'm not going to a VA hospital.

And hey big boy, is my spelling a little bit better now? If you decide not to take me seriously, be my guest. It’s not a big deal to me, especially at 2am when I just get home and I have a smart ass remark from a Paul-Tard. Have fun following someone who wants to separate the federal gov't from education of our children, can you imagine what would happen to smaller states? even a state like WA, places like Todd beamer and Thomas Jefferson would have incredible funding, then other schools like rainier beach, Kentwood and federal way HS would have their funding cut to pennies, while he would bring this country back to 1875 by following the constitution word for word, do you not think the founding fathers of this country didn’t realize that the world would evolve into what it is now? Closing the doors and severing a lot of our foreign ties to the world, anyone know about the history of Japan? Didn’t they do that for awhile? Then asked us to come help them after they realized they were 40 years behind technologically.

bottom line is everyone has there opinion, i have family thats been to iraq and friends thats been there 2 and 3 times, and half of them agree with this guy and the other half are the direct opposite so this thread is like comparing chevy to ford.

bottom line is everyone has there opinion, i have family that been to iraq and friends that been there 2 and 3 times, and half of them agree with this guy and the other half are the direct opposite sothis thread is like comparing chevy to ford.

probably should have used something like apples and oranges... everyone knows chevys are better ^_^ i can hijack my own thread right?

i used chevy and ford because this is a car forum not a fruit forum

Last edited:
Now Japan is ahead of us!

Saying people don't know what's it's like to be in combat unless they're there, I'd agree. What I don't agree with is saying a soldier's view on the war isn't better than one sitting at home worried about his/her mortgage.

What we have to look at here is soldiers are people too, people have different opinions. You can not say every soldier is the same, thinks the same, acts the same, etc. Yes, a soldier does the dirty work, and we thank you for that. But, what you don't realize is that a lot of the people that are against the war are also "for you". You may believe what you're doing is noble, etc., but some of your people do not want you risking your life for that issue.

Oh trust me, I've thought about this before. Just because I'm not in the middle of a war doesn't mean I don't have a general understanding what exactly is going on.

I might have a biased view since I'm not over in the middle of the war, but the people who are over in the middle of the war are also biased.

But like you said, what do I know? I haven't done any research or talked to all sorts of different people with different perspectives. I'm just living in "mommy's house" right?

Yeah pretty much

The people who are/were over there cannot have a biased view, because they've seen what's actually going on. Experience is the ultimate educator, don't worry, you'll learn this about 5 years after college which you also have yet to attain.

The people who are/were over there cannot have a biased view, because they've seen what's actually going on. Experience is the ultimate educator, don't worry, you'll learn this about 5 years after college which you also have yet to attain.

So are you tryin to say that to have real world experience and a valid point of view, a person must go through college first?

no, my point was that while I think his energy, to be so interested in world affairs at age 18 is admirable, he needs to temper his opinion with the fact that he has a long way to go before he declares himself a master of the universe

I don't assume to have all the answers, but I know that if you want to know what the weather is like in Dallas, you should probably call a Texan. Not somebody who's never been to Texas.

I listen to what those who have been over there say when they come back, they are the subject matter experts. Listening to our generals on the ground lead to the surge which prevented a second American vietnam. The experience and actual knowlege they have of the conditions is Iraq is priceless. All any of us see over here is the politics of the issue, and that's no way to form an opinion.

Ok Silverchild79, you seem to be quite knowledgeable about this. Lets hear what your opinions, thoughts, first-hand accounts are. Oh and I'm not being sarcastic.

Have fun following someone who wants to separate the federal gov't from education of our children, can you imagine what would happen to smaller states?

1 - i don't follow anyone, but i do respect ron paul. who do you respect, if anyone?

2 - i only mentioned ron paul's gtfo stance to show that republicans are even divided on this issue and to provide counterbalance the anti-democratic vibe you were emanating.

3 - i imagine the states would take care of state education, as it should be. the federal government was not intended to be this moneysucking hog that it currently is; it was intended to oversee national business and protect our asses in an international setting. the states were given the rights to govern themselves with the constitution as a governing document which ties the rights of all americans to the country. states could grant further rights but could not limit our rights as americans, set forth in the constitution. where the fuck does it say 'ps gib my kidz a gud educashun too" i'd surely like to know. you don't like the education in your home state, fix it at the state level by participating in local/state government. crybaby.

4 - being in the military doesn't make you right. it does provide you with experience and perspective that the nonmilitary will never achieve. you're welcome to your experienced perspective. just know that i chose to pay your wages along with 200 million other armchair americans. we're funding everything our military does; don't sit there and pretend we don't have a right to our opinions as well. what if i and 100 million of those armchair americans don't want you in iraq? oh hey, that's pretty much what's going on. we don't want to pay for it any longer, in taxes or in your blood.

if people want to go to iraq to 'free' that nation, then they should volunteer to do it. i hear the iraqi army is taking volunteers. our military should be at home, or with 51% or more of our nation's support, our military could be part of an international effort to do something elsewhere. no more of this 'it's america or no one' crap; at least not on this scale and at these costs (both in lives and funds).

in the end, we all have to be okay with our choices on what we do, why we do it, and who we'll give the power to tell us to do it. if you didn't want opinions, you shouldn't post yours in a forum.

Last edited:
America is not the world police, and shouldn't be.

Dude...didn't you hear?

url

Have fun following someone who wants to separate the federal gov't from education of our children, can you imagine what would happen to smaller states?

Dude, even the people involved with creating the Department of Education realize it is a wasteful bureaucracy that has done more harm than good to our nations education system. Every year our education slips further down the hole, and it is becuase of the federal governments involvment.

Dude, even the people involved with creating the Department of Education realize it is a wasteful bureaucracy that has done more harm than good to our nations education system. Every year our education slips further down the hole, and it is becuase of the federal governments involvment.

No. Child. Left. Behind.

NCLB is the number one complaint that I hear from teachers. For lack of better description, it gets in the teacher's way of actually educating the children.

It's a double edged sword... we don't want the gov't to impede the education of children, but we DO want them to interject into issues such as religion in the science class and other attempts to stifle real-deal education in this country.

See that line about a micron wide... walk it :ph34r:

Back