Of all the luck.....Project Reno

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Fire out the back ? his exhaust was THAT hot ?

That's a signal of a super lean condition / timing too retarded. I think the Vacuum may have caused this. Up in the mountains, you'll run a little rich, not lean.

Luckily exhaust temps affect water temps very quickly in the Civic. The radiator would have gotten hot. But cats dying is the direct result of timing, not being off stoich.

wtf?

you mentioned something about the injector(s) being small?
what ones are you running?

i would tell him to throw some vise grips on the fuel return nice, bumping the fuel pressure and hopefully not running ass lean...

i hope the motor isn't cooked

stock injectors...looked clean when I popped them out to chech them...they seamed good...put them(x2) back into the Maf...and built everything up. It just puzzles me....replace the old, possibly glogged fuel filter, that was getting 64mpg...and drop a clean, new fuel filter in the car...and it got 74mpg....

when we were working on it before x-mas.. I dumped about 1/4 can of seafoam into the fuel tank...but that would only act as an injector cleaner until the next full tank was filled up.

so you went from a 1.5 to a 1.6 block, added compression with the head swap, and didnt add any fuel.

YUP, she leaned out hard core.... probably under-fueled by 20% at sea level.

I'm still working the mathematics of this... I don' tcare if it was running a motor from a crashed UFO - 60mpg is near 70% efficiency which isn't possible from a piston pusher.

the mathematics are complex, and my father, a fossil fuel engineer in the Phillippines that I know, and a professor in New Zealand are working out the details.

I would be tempted to bring this to the DOT and have them actually do the fuel rating on it for official word.

Quoted post[/post]]
so you went from a 1.5 to a 1.6 block, added compression with the head swap, and didnt add any fuel.

YUP, she leaned out hard core.... probably under-fueled by 20% at sea level.

With this in mind, at high elevations it should work BETTER. It enriches.

only huge difference is some rice intake, rice header, rice fart cannon...I told him about the fuel upgrade...but time and finances wouldn't allow.....if the block and head is still good...the carb, ITB's, or MPFI are next. Then it will rip. But at the first sign of any trouble...he shut it down. the only thing that can leave the exhaust while on fire...is the cat....but if it was lean...the ECU should have added more gas, no codes, no check engine light, no temps...it never got to normal operating temps. until it got into the mountians...but then it just ran at normal temps.

The moment the O2 sensor stops responding to the ECU, it will generate a CEL.

Is he looking under the carpet for his codes ? Or waiting for the CEL to give it to him ?

That ECU is the classic HAL9000 type. Automatically and continuously generates codes and stores them. You can clear those code by pulling the Hazard fuse (With the key power off) for 15 seconds.

Ala CRX only the CRX ECU has the 3 LEDS to give it to you.

damn.... a fresh build.....dead......i feel bad for em...that car was mint runnin and now flamming exhaust...maybe the thinner air did do it but know one knows exactly what happened so.....only time will tell this one i guess....DAMN MOUNTAINOUS AREAS!!!.....THEY DA DEVIL!!!!! :laugh:

I got a call this morning from Walter...he, and the other two guys, the truck of stuff, his car, the SUV, and another car...all made it to their new apartment in Reno yesterday. Looks like the truck had some problems getting up the mountains, and back down the other side...but they made it, their alive...and they are unloading the truck now. the apartment complex stated that the only maintenance allowed on a car there is changing a tire....so now he has to take the civic to a dealer, or find a local honda guy on the internet, and see if they can get something running. He mentioned that there is a few drips of fuel under the car, and a fuel smell strong around the back end....so I told him to check the fuel pressure when he can get to a place to do it, and possibly change the fuel pump if there is less than normal fuel pressure according to the maintenace manual.

I hope that is the fix... :confused:

:withstupid:

We are just about all settled into our new place...I haven't even had a chance to do anything with the civic, but I have to go find a dealership or something and then try to find a dolly to rent to get it there...

Hopefully it's nothing too bad...or too costly...

Back