Old man wants a convertable

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
stock for stock.. sure. but there's also a 10k price difference....

for about 12 grand, you can have a complete spec-miata race car.
Dude is looking to spend 20-25k. S2k is in the price range. And he wants a daily, not a track car.

your points are mostly opinion... as are mine, and are the point of this thread.
if you've got a hard-on for an s2k, spend 25k or more on an s2000.
me, i'd rather spend 1500 and make a race car out of it, or buy the race car for 12 grand.
My points were all fact, with the exception of the CRX comment, but that little bastard has proven itself all over the motorsports world. I don't have a hard on for a S2k. But still would defend it against a miata. And for the purpose of this thread, the guy isn't looking for a track car.

toyota's reliability owns hondas 4:1
Not quite.
toyota's affordability is on-par with honda (camry vs accord anyone?)
largest aftermarket support?? lol the chevy small block will always own this market.
:werd: to both. I was meaning the import aftermarket but whatever. I'll give you a point for that.
class they do great--- sure. but the s2000 is in a class of its own, and in the class, its over-priced and gets its ass kicked. at least, at scca nationals it did.....
That may be because they stuck it in there with 60k+ sports cars...
re-sale... sure, its ok. its not great though.
they fall just as fast as most cars in the first couple years
This most certainly is not true. Look up the numbers, they tell the truth. Honda holds its value WAY better than EVERYTHING else out there.
but their low limits don't drop cuz you always get the assclowns who are willing to pay 2700 bucks for a crashed CX with pep boys rims.

sorry, had to :ph34r:

Touche'

I found exactly what I was looking for. And then I bought it. You find me a phantom gray or white EG in Texas for less than $2700.00 Good luck. And when is the last time you actually saw a EG go for book price, anyway??

And my pep boys rims are PIMP. :p I like e'm just fine, I was even getting compliments on them on this board until we figured out what they were.

I would pay 6k for the facotry turboed miata.....

There's more to it then just a slapped on turbo.

I know that the Mazdaspeed package includes a lot of upgraded components - but he's already said he doesn't need any of it.

He's just looking for a convertible car to tool around in, and for that the regular Miata will do fine.

Status wise i see it as S2000, MR2, Miata.
for $20000 you could find a nice used, convertable from yesturyear whether it be import or domestic.

Those of you who slam one or the other... have you actually beaten the piss out of both a Miata and an S2k in the twisties? Sure, you can't compare the two when you start talking about price, but the S2k is a better car.

Resale isn't that great though... hell, I bought mine for 11k under sticker with only 15 months on it. :wink:

If your dad shifts early and doesn't like to rip on the engine, the S2k is a BAD choice for him. It IS a nice car to drive below VTEC, but all the extra cost that goes into making it and the performance that's available would never get used. Anyway, for 20-25k you're going to have to go for something at least 3 years old.

If he wants new, get the Miata or the Solstice. The Solstice has a good bit of torque- more off the line than the Miata or the S2k, it's the cheapest out of the 3, and if your dad isn't beating on it all the time, it will be reliable too. I actually like the Solstice quite a bit. :)

The MR2 is a decent choice, but in my opinion it's just a tad bit ugly, and it's very impractical- more so than an S2k. The trunk is only 2 cubic feet, so you can't put a damn thing in it. Maybe a lunch box and a briefcase- that's it.

well apparently i was wrong about my old man...

he wants the MAZDASPEED miata...

go figure
lol

saw some shit on tv about it

and it fits 2 golf bags in the trunk with the top down so he's SOLD on it...

Nice, miata's are great old man cars because just cruizing around, they really are comfortable cars with pretty soft suspension but extremely tossable around town. And when you want to it eats up corners and is really easy to get sideways. I was driving my dads 96 LS around town today and probally got it sideways 20+ times.

mbabassi.jpg

:shrug2: ?

there was a company that did the CRX/convertible conversion a long time ago...like 85 or something

there was one in my home-town I used to see all the time

edit: it was Straman (the company)

1875502493.190871474.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Quoted post[/post]]
mbabassi.jpg

:shrug2: ?

Wowzers.. that thing is pimp. I like it alot. I've seen them before and wanted to bitch slap the people who had done it, but that one looks like it was done right. Good job to whoever did that :thumbsup:

Unless they have hella bracing everywhere, I bet the chassis is floppy as shit without the roof on there though. Not sure about the glossy primer gray.. lol.

Back