One 12" Sub??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jazzy19

Hey guys,

I have a 2dr 97 GSR and i want to get a system in there. I was thinking of one 12" sub..( I still need space in my trunk). I was looking @ two subs Infinity 1230W or the Rockford P312D4... It would be powered by a kenwood KAC-8101D amp.. which one would give me a good deep loud sound in a ported box.. The amp pushes 500RMS the subs can both take 500RMS?? which should i get and if there any other good subs could you please sugguest some???

Thanks in advance,
JAZZY

Do you have a price range? One's like 100 while the other's around 240, kinda hard to work in that span.

As for those two, the infinity has an rms rating of 300W, the Rockford is 500W. And last time I checked that kenwood will do 400w@2ohm, so it's not quite 500w...

And do you have a max box size in mind? (that infinity has 2 cu. ft recommended ported box opposed to the 1.3 cu. ft for the punch)

"More Input!" - Sir Johnny 5

personal preference = Audiobahn DVC sub. (i have a 10" tho) I love mine :)

JL owns, Infintiy kappa perfects are nice too. I have one 10" (thank you eric) and it has plenty of bass to fill out the low end very well in my jeep. I'm not an spl guy, so the responsiveness of a good sealed box appeals to me.

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 21 2004, 01:12 AM
JL 12w7 ? :)
[post=392872]Quoted post[/post]​

thats what i want!!!!

1) Those kenwood subs dont look too bad, for the price. Flashy lookin cones too.

2)Audiobahn subs are junk for clean sound. Mostly for impressing people with loud sound.

3) First, the W7 is out of his amp's league and I bet he doesn't want to drop that kind of money

4) Jl does not own, especially not for the price. And Perfect's are pretty nice sounding subs.

Now: I'd say look at your budget and then look at Adire ( http://www.adireaudio.com/ ). They have Shiva's for 125, new Koda subs for around 260 (if they're out), and brahmas if you have the budget.

Just try comparing the Shiva's one-way xmax (linear, read: distortion free) to other driver's "xmax" rating which is typically two-way.

I have a budget for 700 bucks CDN... I just want one good 12" and i nice amp to push it... Not that knowledgeable in car audio.. Could 700 get me something good??? what other name brands can i get... By the way thanks for the input already....more would be nice.. about those subs like Koda Brahams..etc I've never heard of those brands.. how good are they?? Please advise me on rating those subs have and where can i get some???? THX guys,

Jazzy 19

700cdn is like 500us, so yeah. You can get a very good sub for that price.

But before I go recommending Adire or RE (resonant engineering), i forgot to ask: are you planning to build the box yourself or have someone else do it? If you're going to buy one from a best buy, i'd suggest finding a sub like an eclipse/rockford/mtx , something that's made to go into a store box (ie: .5, 1.0, 1.5 cu ft box, not custom size).

man get a kenwood amp and subs two tens will be nice and crisp sounding and pound good and you can get booth for a bout 550 can and a box and crap for 150

I could make my own box but i think i would get someone to make it for me..... Do you know what kind of box would be best for Admire drivers?? bandpass or enclosed, open???

Never a bandpass box, they just sound like junk. Adire has specs for different alignments for both sealed and ported boxes. And with ported, it's all how you tune the port (either creating a large peak or extending your response downward).

I like Tommy's views on audio equipment. We need more people around that actually recognize Audiobahn as crap and know what they're talking about.

:thumbsup:

First, thanks Calesta. It gets depressing hearing most people talk about car audio, home audio, headphones, etc. There are just as many "audio ricers" as there are car ricers. Using that sort of analogy, audiobahn = apc :) .

At adireaudio.com , under the technical section, look at the app notes. It has specific designs with templates for the Shiva and Tempest.

If you look at the diagrams and study the internal bracing (the pieces with the holes cut all through them), you can just follow that bracing guideline and change the dimensions so you achieve the same volume. Here's an example of a box with bracing, you just have to follow this sort of idea: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86365 . Or you can just throw 2x4's in there (see: ghetto).

There are guides on how to build sub boxes:

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/boxdesign/index.html
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/bracing/index.html

This guy has good stuff and links:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

And the next person to recommend the w7 can pay for his new amp to give him enough juice so he can hear the thing....and i'll pistol whip you.

Thanks ALOT GUYS.... Im off to order my subs today.. Thinking of the Shiva's 12" or Braham 10". I will speak with Admire audio to find out the spec of both and which would be more fit for me DEEP BASS N CLAIRITY MUSIC..... I agree with both of you, theres not enough "audio ricers" I like having a nice looking car and all but I NEED ME SOME GOOD SOUND TO ENJOY IT.. I'll keep you guys posted on when the subs some to my house an get these bad boyz installed... ;)

Originally posted by Jazzy19@Sep 24 2004, 09:20 AM
I agree with both of you, theres not enough "audio ricers" I like having a nice looking car and all but I NEED ME SOME GOOD SOUND TO ENJOY IT..
[post=394260]Quoted post[/post]​

No! No! I don't want audio ricers. [Sam L Jackson voice] I hope they die and burn in hell! [/Sam L Jackson voice]

Audio ricers are kids that go: Oh, that sub has a [enter color] cone on it! It must be real loud. And if it's yellow it must be "fast" and have excellent "cone control".

But beyond my love of ricers...if you contact Adire, try asking about their Koda 12 and its availability.

Back