One 12" Sub??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1. cerwin vega stroker pro 12

2. sounstream tarantula 12

3. jl 12w7

thats what im trying to decide between :\

i second that though i might also say i personally think the newer rockford fosgate line sucks - the older dvc line rocked - i had a little rockford 100dvc amp and it banged 2 12s clear and clean -

this thread is soooooo old, someone please lock it or make ME a freakin mod. It should have been down 3-4 months ago. :blink:

Originally posted by TommyTheCat@Mar 24 2005, 02:31 AM
this thread is soooooo old, someone please lock it or make ME a freakin mod. It should have been down 3-4 months ago. :blink:
[post=477909]Quoted post[/post]​

Usually I would agree with you, BUT.......

People are adding relevant, usefull information to the topic.....not just adding stupid opinions......

Keep it open as long as it stays on topic, and constructive. Dates mean nothing.

:ph34r:

Your right. dates mean nothing. Anyway I just read through this whole post and technical jargon aside I feel that the best subs for the money are the low end Rockfords. You know, the buy one get one free subs. You can pick up a set at Best Buy or Ultimate Electronics for like $139 with the warranty and you can get them to hit probably about 130+ db. (which is very respectable for a system that is less than $400. Hell 140-145db with two twelves will have ya winning contests)

Since he said space was an issue I also thought it was odd that nobody mentioned the leniency you have when dealing with a sealed box. What I mean is if you have a sub that requires 1 cu ft. of air space and you build a sealed enclosure it only needs to be 80% of that space. So since he probably wants the system to be as loud as possible I saw that people were suggesting a ported box. This would be true but they are somewhat difficult to tune correctly and a ported box is tuned for only one kind of sub, so if he changes subs he will have to get a diff box. Anyway, so a ported box requires more air space right?? I think I saw a figure that said 1.3 cu ft for one 12. Well if he gets two of the punch 12's and builds a sealed enclosure (which will give a better overall sound as I saw someone mention) and it can be off by 80% per sub and the human ear can't tell the difference. So you only need 1.6 cu ft and you'd have TWO 12's instead of one. These particular subs can be pushed very well with like 75w rms.

So now we have twice the cone space, 1/2 the power needed from the amp, and a sub box with a better overall sound that doesn't need to be tuned. I didn't really read the equations that were being argued over so I can't comment on them, but I didn't just pull these figures out of my ass. I actually worked at Ultimate Electronics for a while in car audio and did some installation stuff. They sent me to training in Minnesota for 8hrs a day for 6 weeks. So I do have some experience on helping people build a nice sounding system for as little as possible.

Yes I also realize that the person has already made their decision and bought their subs, but maybe this well give other people something to think about in the future. Like Adnoh said, if the info is still relevant, keep it up!! :)

T4-back.gif

T-4.gif

thats what i ended up buying.

800 watt rms, 2k peak
28-1.8k hz

damn good for a 10" woofer and it was only 119+30 shipping

i was gonna go with a single 12, but... the 10 is lighter, the box will be smaller and lighter, its gonna be getting at least 1k rms watts and its going inside the cab of my del sol behind the seat. so it should be pretty damn loud on its own.

as far as ported vs sealed

sealed-
Advantages
Easy to build, smaller enclosure size, lean tight sounding bass, better power handling vs. ported design and Linear low bass extension.

Disadvantage
Less efficient as compared to ported design.

ported-
Advantages
More output at the tuning frequency as compared to the same woofer in a sealed enclosure, higher efficiency.

Disadvantage
Larger enclosure size, Calculating enclosure and port dimensions more difficult,easy to blow woofer if power handling limit is exceeded.

thats straight from soundstreams website, and i figure since they are the most highly awarded speaker maker since 1983 i think they would know :p

Back