Paint help...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
I'm about to paint the CRX satin black... I'm using Rustoleum satin black paint thinned 50/50 with acetone(because my experience with Rustoleum paint is that it's fucking THICK), and I'm using Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane Clear Satin clear...

My question is, what ratio should i thin the clear? Should I use the same 50/50 as the paint?

I'm gonna try to lay it on super thick so I don't get any orange peel...I actually don't know if I'll have any problems with orange peel, with it being satin and all...I remember WebinkEK9 did his satin black, and I'm pretty sure he didn't wetsand his, and his pics came out awesome...

Thanks in advance...Any other advice would be awesome.

I would highly recommend getting some better paint. Black is such a cheap color you might as well. If you already have it and its not on the label then ask wherever you bought it. I think I paid $60 for my DUPONT paint for when I painted my CRX black. That was with reducer and hardener. I got a gallon too (it was my first full paintjob so I had NO clue). I used about a quart.

I've already got it, and I bought it at wal-mart....lol

I did a lot of searching about flat-blacking, and the cleanest flatblack paintjobs on honda-tech (spugen and speedinghatch or somethin like that) both used the rustoleum/acetone, and came out with great results....

ahhhhh flat black. I don't know too much about how to get a good flatblack paintjob. It used to be that all paint had instructions on it but now alot just say "professional use only".

There should be some sort of mixing instructions on the can.
Something like 8:4:1 IE: 8 parts paint, 4 parts reducer, one part hardener.

If both paints are compatible, then a paint shop should be able to help you. I would never buy paint from WalMart, not for a car unless they had a paint tech that could answer that question.

Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane Clear <span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#FF0000">Satin</span></span> clear

yeah satin clear isnt going to shine like reg clear.....as far as the mixing goes im clueless caus ive never tried to paint a car using wal-mart paint...my best suggestion would be to ask those guys on chode-tech how they did it.....or otherwise go to a real automotive paint store and get some decent paint then i could perhaps help u out a lil better

well i never read that part all I read was poly clear. My bad and sorry as for thining the clear do you intend to wetsand, or spray and go? I find it benifical to add just a hair less hardener, and a bit more reducer. We have a super dry climate so this helps it to gel just a hair slower so it can flow just a bit more. as for the paint as far as anyone i have talked to is rustoleums brands are mostly aqrlc, not sure if your is. basicly thin until its sprays right for you. as for compltability, all i could find is nothing?

Back