Pro's and con's of B-series swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

A lot of them did come with A/C, but a lot also didn't. Just find a clean one without it.

I agree with DelSlo just read up on the turbo setup www.homemadeturbo.com read their info. Just focus on one thing at a time like the swap first of all. You will be happy runing low 15s and racing against other honda guys.

to much day dreaming = nothing getting done.
do the swap then look to turbo

im also looking to turbo my car just bought a T3 60/63 from westcost-turbo, will have the rest of the kit i figure by summer or next fall they are on sale until Dec 31 get on HMT for discount

I ran low 14s with my ITR with street tires and big 17s with power streeing (love my PS) and full interior in a 92 SI.

I have sort of figured out what I want to do. I want to get a 92-95 civic (vx or cx) hatch, and go B20 (ported p8r with crower 403 or 404 cams, raised compression ratio, and 4-2-1 header), and a 50-75hp wet shot. If I could get my hands on a CRX chassis, then maybe it would be a CRX instead of a civic. I'm just using the logical approach of having a really light chassis. I could always go ls/vtec or cr/vtec if I wanted to.

I would really like to find a hatch or crx with the b-series swap already done. I have seen some for sale, but none of the sellers were from Louisiana. It's not like I can just drive all the way to Arkansas or Florida.

Why not?

I drove hundreds of miles for my hatches. I'm in Central Jersey, went up to the the canadian border for one, RI and CT.

You could have bought my last hatch and got a b20 block. It had an LS with LS trans, but the bottom end was done. I sold it for like 800 bucks.

What I like about the hatches and crx's is that you can easily mount nitrous bottles in them and the fact that they are really light.

Quoted post[/post]]
I'm pretty sure the 99 LS head is the same. The 2000 LS head is different and will yield a few more hp.
I noticed that I didn't mention that the head I am using on the B20 right now is from a 90 or 91 Integra. So that's why I am saying it should be better with the 99 LS head. I have heard about the P8R heads (www.nonvtec.com) however, I only paid $200 for this 99 LS head so I think it's a good deal either way you look at it.

Sorry but you got ripped off on the LS head, it's the same as a 94 but with less miles, if you PnP and replace the valvetrain, the castings are pretty much identical from the start. 90-91 Ls heads are worth like 50 bucks, I might pay 75-100 for a 94+ and maybe a little more for a 2000+

But since you have it, it's still better then the 90-91 head. I'd PnP it and put in a decent set of cams.

Quoted post[/post]]
Sorry but you got ripped off on the LS head, it's the same as a 94 but with less miles, if you PnP and replace the valvetrain, the castings are pretty much identical from the start. 90-91 Ls heads are worth like 50 bucks, I might pay 75-100 for a 94+ and maybe a little more for a 2000+

But since you have it, it's still better then the 90-91 head. I'd PnP it and put in a decent set of cams.
That's why I paid $200 for the 99 LS head, it was all ready ported & polished along with the three angle valve job.

oh, then that's not that bad. I was under the impression it was a stock head.

To everyone that replied, thanks!

Could someone that has experience with this swap please recommend or post a link to a swap article/guide that they think gives the best and most detailed info on this particular swap.

Thanks again!!!!!

So here's my parts list:
-92-95 civic CX or VX
-94 integra motor mounts
-94 integra shift linkage
-94 integra tranny
-94 integra ecu
-B20B/Z from a wrecked CRV (just need to make sure it has PHK -4cc pistons)
-P8R head (fully assembled)
-a simple 4-2-1 header
-del sol dohc a/c bracket (won't be necessary if car doesn't come with a/c)
-the last couple of parts to my pieced together wet nitrous kit

You know, I could just get a wrecked integra to get all of the integra related parts with ease, and use the LS motor instead of the B20 and just go LS/VTEC in the future. This way, everything will be there, and I won't have to go out and find any parts. Or I could just stop acting like such a pu$$y, and get a B20 no matter how easy it would make everything if I went B18.

I also cannot remember whether or not I will have to swap axles when swapping in the b-series engine and tranny?

I have made it up in my mind that a 5th gen HB B-series swap is what I want.

You need the intermediate shaft and axles from a 94+ teg.

Get the wrecked Ls if you can. You can use a lot of the interior as well if it's a coupe. You can still use the P8R head if you feel it necassary or just build the Ls head.

When and if you decide to build the motor, resleeve it or bore it out to 84mm and you'll have a 2.0L b18b1.

BTW, You don't NEED a 94 P75, you can use a 92-93 PR4 OR a 94-95 P75.

There's a fucked up 90 integra near the house, but to bad I can't use it.

Alot of people are against boring the LS block to 84mm, and claim that the cylinder walls would be too thin. If it wasn't for this problem, I would definitely consider it. And if I were to resleeve the LS block, by the time it is all said and done, I could have already gotten a B20 short block.

Is there anything else I forgot to put on the list?

the b20 block is nearly identical to the b18b1/a1 block, with the walls bored.

Those people are BS'ing you, because on an N/A setup 84mm is fine.

Why can't you use the 90 b18a1, it has crappy cams and slightly lower compression but nothing you couldn't work with.

I've put an OBD0 b18a1 in my 93 hatch. It's completely possible.

Quoted post[/post]]
You need the intermediate shaft and axles from a 94+ teg.

Get the wrecked Ls if you can. You can use a lot of the interior as well if it's a coupe. You can still use the P8R head if you feel it necassary or just build the Ls head.

When and if you decide to build the motor, resleeve it or bore it out to 84mm and you'll have a 2.0L b18b1.

BTW, You don't NEED a 94 P75, you can use a 92-93 PR4 OR a 94-95 P75.
Yes, very true, use 94 and up Integra axles and intermediate shaft. However, you can use them all from a 1990 to 1993 because that's what I have in mine. If you do use the 90-93 axles then make sure that you replace the round gaskets that are on the tranny to 90-93. That was the only problem I found when using G2 axles.

I saw in another thread where people were discussing this, but their posts had a few typo's on the info that I wanted to read. I'm sort of guessing that there is a size difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen integras axle shafts. But is the gaskets that you are talking about the ones that seal the axle shafts where they are inserted into the tranny?

And will the mounts from a 90-93 integra work for the swap? I'm guesssing that since there is a difference in tranny's between the 2nd and 3rd gen integras, that I will have to use the 94+ integra mounts, but I was just curious.

I was also wondering if anyone from the Louisiana area would happen to have a 5th gen civic cx or vx hatch for sale.

Back