Recommendations for Easter weekend in New England

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

we have a clock museum in Bristol

If you're talking about the Clock museum in Waterbury - it's an interesting place if you're into war-time machining and ordinance.

RIF%20Logo.JPG

I was being sarcastic with the clock museum idea.

We're both pretty big foodies, so we're always looking for the best local spots. Not really the most expensive, just great food. Being up there I'm sure we'll have to have some awesome seafood.

I'm also pretty big history buff, so anywhere with a lot of history is good.

My company has Good Friday off, but since I'll be in training my boss is going to give me an extra day off. So I don't have to be back in the office until Wednesday the 3rd. That means we have from Friday afternoon, until our 3pm flight out of Logan on Tuesday.

I'm thinking with 4 nights, it might be better to do some sort of little circular road trip that ends back up in Boston, if the weather will allow. I was thinking I'd start planning a route with places we can stay along the way. Then if we see that the weather might be bad, we'll just stay somewhere in Boston.

God the bristol one must be an epic visit then. The famous clock factory isn't that much worth it.

Besides, when someone said "Bristol" I figured they meant Waterbury because I've never heard of that museum in Bristol.

And if you're a foodie, New Haven is the home of the hamburger.

If you dig on muslim feed, "Mahmoun's" in New Haven is awesome. It's open all the fucking time too.

Just watch the bathroom. WORST BATHROOM IN SCOTLAND.

That place does look good.

We're thinking maybe Friday night we'll drive down to Hyannis or Provincetown and spend the night, then take the ferry over to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard on Saturday.

Any recommendations on which one is better to visit?

Don't spend the night in P-Town. It's a really dangerous place, and even when things are going good - You're in gay town. I mean Philly times 10. Hyannis is good. If you find a motel 6 room in Hyannis for less than $300 - jump on it.

Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are nice, but I prefer the Vineyard. Again, your wallet is going to be on fire by sundown.

If you're in that area, and don't want to ferry over to the islands, check out Westerly Rhode Island, and specifically Watch Hill. You can go to Mystic CT in about 20 minutes, and grab some Mystic Pizza (It is a neat place). There is also a neato army/navy store over there. You can jump on a schooner and go out for some shrimp and cocktails (About $80 a person) and it's really good for the girls involved.

Newport is bullshit. Providence is bullshit. Mystic is about as far West as I would go, except for Stonington which is nice - but there ain't shit to do there.

West of that is Lyme where Lyme disease was invented, and then you get into Injen's neighborhood of Podunk. Then it's Groton which is a great place if you're a fucking bullet.

Then a buncha horseshit towns, the sub base (Looks neat, but you won't see any subs in that direction) then New Haven. This is important. If you get off i-95 in New Haven, lock your fucking doors and roll up the fucking windows. Get off the highway and don't stop going north until you hit Yale University. Because that area of town is a goddam warzone. Literally, MS13 controls that area. North of Yale you're pretty good though.

If you're in turbomirage's area, stop in and see him but don't get lost. Because the fucking orcs come out when the sun goes down.

fucking orc's.

Block island is where its at for the islands i think. there's a high-speed ferry to it too.

the thing to remember with any of the islands is that you are still off season and they are going to be ghost towns
that doesnt necessarily mean its a bad idea to go... rooms will cost a significantly lower amount, you will not have to deal with crowds, and you can still do a pretty good amount of stuff... but several shops and restaurants are not going to be open

Thanks for the info on Provincetown, definitely won't be staying there.

Looks like due the the offseason there are definitely some hotels in Hyannis/West Yarmouth that are decent priced. Even though some things will be closed, we like the idea of not having to deal with crowds and cheaper prices, so I think we might stick with that.

I'm guessing that would be a day trip, so we'll probably stay in Hyannis again Saturday night. I was thinking that Sunday we would head towards Rhode Island. Route 77 out of Tiverton down to the coast is supposed to be a nice drive. After that, head west over to Watch Hill, and then get into Conneticut and meet up with State Route 169 as that is also supposed to be a scenic drive.

I'm not exactly sure how far we'd make on Sunday, it will depend on how much we stop, may just have to see what kind of hotels we come across. Monday we could continue up Route 169 and then head back into Massachusetts, and start working on way back to Boston. We wouldn't have to make it all the way back, but the closer we get to Boston by Monday night, the less we have to travel on Tuesday to make it to Logan by 1-1:30pm.

Does this trip sound doable in the time we have without being really rushed for time? Again this whole thing will be dependent on their not being snow that weekend.

Hotels in the off season are definitely less than 300, even in the summer when I traveled for work I found rooms for a lot less than that at better places than Motel 6. I like Brewster a little better than Hyannis. Less crowded and touristy. I am not a cape expert.
About 18 years ago we spent Easter in the cape. A decent amount of stuff was open.
Lyme disease wasn't really invented in Lyme, just the first case of it was discovered there. The disease actually comes from Plum Island. I heard the disease was invented for biological warfare during ww2.

Lyme disease wasn't really invented in Lyme, just the first case of it was discovered there. The disease actually comes from Plum Island. I heard the disease was invented for biological warfare during ww2.
You are 1000% correct. Still, all but pockets of CT are totally worth avoiding.

Anyone close enough to Boston that they would be interested in going to the Bruins vs. Maple Leafs games on Monday, March 25th?

I figure since I'm there I'd love to catch a hockey game, and that is the only night I think I could go.

Whatever your plans are - make sure to get;

1)REAL New England seafood, lobstah, etc.

2)Pizza from somewhere in the north-end

3)A brewery tour at Sam Adams

That's all I can think of. March is a wildcard month for weather, it can be 50 degrees and sunny or snowing. In the same week.

If you have some time, there is plenty to do in Boston itself. Newbury street is interesting - as I said the north end is neat as well. Avoid the tourist trap restaurants and look for hole-in-the-wall type joints.

Avoid the tourist trap restaurants and look for hole-in-the-wall type joints.

:werd: :withstupid:
this is key for ANYWHERE
DO NOT travel hundreds or thousands of miles and go to a fucking chain restaurant you could have driven across town to go to

I completely agree, I pretty much never go to chain restaurants when I am visiting. Like I said before, I'm most interested in the local joints.

I usually do quite a bit of research on Yelp and Eater before I go anywhere.

... March is a wildcard month for weather, it can be 50 degrees and sunny or snowing. In the same week...

That's nothing, it's 68 here right now, and there is going to be a blizzard tonight.

This trip is rapidly approaching. I fly out this Sunday and get into Logan at 3:15pm. Then I'll be driving out to the Bedford/Burlington/Billerica area for the training.

Looks like the first part of next week shows decent weather. Denver is supposed to get a little snow next Saturday, hopefully that doesn't develop into a larger storm by the time it hits the east coast.

Made it to Boston alright. Denver airport was crazy due to snowstorm yesterday that cancelled a bunch of flights.

Anyone know if there are scalpers selling tickets outside of TD Garden Arena? Planning on going to the Bruins game tomorrow, but tickets online are kind of expensive.

Back