Senior Paper

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

as for aggressive music making people act agressivly... lets compare shows that have happened at local venues to me... Slipknot played the Hartford civic center... they were there with opening acts such as Ramstein, American Head Charge, and System of a Down... the music was aggressive as fuck yet there was no violence at the show, and the pit was one of the friendliest i have been in...
now lets look at the Dave Mathews Band show that was at the Meadows... 2 years in a row there was rioting, people were lighting shit on fire and trashing / flipping cars... riot teams had to come in with tear gas and bean bag shot guns to get control of the crowd... the music at a DMB show is anything but aggressive, yet people were fucking rioting...

these are not isolated instances either... Ive been to a shit ton of aggressive music shows at many different sized venues from small clubs to out door ampatheaters... sure theres sometimes fights here and there but the over all crowd is surprisingly calm (i guess friendly would be a better word)...
the only aggressive show around here that had anything even remotely close to what happened at the 2 DMB shows was Rage Against the Machine and Wu Tang Clan at the Meadows when people started a sod fight and ended up lighting the fence on fire... no riot teams though

i listened to a lot of NWA and other gangster rap growing up... i never pulled a drive by
:werd::withstupid: Music doesn't make you who you are. It may enhance the mood you are in. but it does not make you go out a shot somebody.

Music doesn't make you who you are. It may enhance the mood you are in. but it does not make you go out a shot somebody.

mm hm i agree with this ...

But i believe it can have more subtle affects on ones thought process. If you listen to violent music if you have an impressionable personality, it can flood your sub conscious unknowingly. causing a tendency to a more violent thought process not neccesarily violent actions.

Kinda like the kid that gets called ugly all the time when hes young and grows up believing he really is ugly.

Or the ugly guy that gets hot chicks all the time. So he feels like he is hot shit lol.

mm hm i agree with this ...

But i believe it can have more subtle affects on ones thought process. If you listen to violent music if you have an impressionable personality, it can flood your sub conscious unknowingly. causing a tendency to a more violent thought process not neccesarily violent actions.

Kinda like the kid that gets called ugly all the time when hes young and grows up believing he really is ugly.

Or the ugly guy that gets hot chicks all the time. So he feels like he is hot shit lol.
I agree with you there. However i absolutely hate it when politicians and teachers make it sound like music, movies and video games are the root of evil and that is what makes some kid grab a gun and go shot up a school yard.

A correlation does not necessarily imply a causality.

keep that in mind when looking at the "studies"

i am responding without having read any responses. will read them and respond again.

but i completly disagree with the theory of music makes you act certain ways.

its bullshit.
i relax while listening to deathmetal, rock, techno, pop, acoustic, etc.
i get motivated listening to the same things.

the music you listen to has no effect on how you behave.
if you listen to deathmetal and feel like you need to go beat somebody up bc of the song, you just need to be stabbed in the wrist, through the middle of the two bones for even thinking that it was the music that made you want to do that.
you want to beat somebody up bc thats just what you want to do. maybe the song reminded you of that? or maybe you are just a fucking moron who, maybe, need to have a needle in your eye?

this arguement has been around for a while, especially after columbine, people saying that the music was to blame. this is just another scapegoat for people who dont want to accept the responsibility of their own actions.

look at "bowling for columbine" when the asshat tried putting it on Marylin Mansons music, but manson turned the table with his answer:
YouTube - Marilyn Manson In Bowling For Columbine
im really guessing he wasnt expecting that as a reply.

the theory sucks. you cant use retards and dumbasses as your evidence.

I'm not a big Manson fan myself, but I would tend to agree with him. Blaming people like him and his style of music are easy scapegoats when violent tragedies occur, but it's only a tiny part of a huge picture. I know it's been said a million times, but what it all boils down too is that people just need to take some fucking responsibility for their own actions...

the music made me do it
the movies made me do it
the video games made me do it
the fucking gnomes living under my bed made me do it
the talking unicorn i car pool into work with on wednesdays and thursdays made me do it

yeah he's got a pretty sweet S4 wagon... fucker wont let me drive it though

im thinking hes probly gunna use letting me drive the S4 as collateral to make me do something really bad

fucker wont tell me what he's got done to it either :(

i know that shit isnt stock though

One could easily write 10 pages on this but what derivations or arguments are going to be had in the paper?

It sounds like you know where you're going with it, but make sure you don't babble. I hate grading someone's paper and they repeatedly make the same arguement as they did in the beginning of the paper, and they don't move anywhere with it or come to any new conclusions of their own.

If you grow up exposed to musical greats, you'll be successful. Or at least, no one HAS EVER picked up a child prostitute listening to Vivaldi.

If you grow up exposed to rap you'll be a fucking twit.

If you grow up listening to pop music, youll be just like everyone else.

And if you grow up listening to boricua you live in Miami and wear one of those weird nets on your slicked back hair.

Sorry that these are stereotypes. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

If you grow up exposed to musical greats, you'll be successful. Or at least, no one HAS EVER picked up a child prostitute listening to Vivaldi.

If you grow up exposed to rap you'll be a fucking twit.

If you grow up listening to pop music, youll be just like everyone else.

And if you grow up listening to boricua you live in Miami and wear one of those weird nets on your slicked back hair.

Sorry that these are stereotypes. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

I am going to disagree with that. Like i said music doesn't make the person. Example E and i listened to a lot of rap growing up and still do listen to it and we are not twits. You as a person choose your own path in life, You as a person decide you are going to hold up a gas station, You as a person run into that school and kill 10 and you as a person rape that boy or girl. You as a person did not do those things because of 50 cent, manson, slip knot or eminem told you to. I have said it a hundred times and i will make it a hundred and one, be a grown up and take responsibility for your own actions.

Yeah. Im not taking sides in my paper. Im presenting evidence and studys and leaving it up to the reader to decide.

my thesis i guess is this ...

Through research and studying the statements of respected psychologists and Scientists, I have learned a better understanding of the correlation between music, the brain, and emotions, though I can not answer this question for you, as the real impact varies from person to person.

"I don't think music affects your basic personality, but I do believe that music can enhance or detract from certain inclincations inherent in that personality. For example, listen to dark music and your mood/thoughts get more dark. The "Helter Skelter made me do it" defense doesn't hold water. Disturbed people can't blame music for their violent or destructive actions."

I found a poll asking the same question i did, and this is my gavorite response to it.

i was rasied on guns N rose and alice in chains and stp, and you don't see me shotting heroin.

people do shit because they want to... not because music tells them too

:werd:

I know a cokehead that listens to classical orchestral music.....

Also, I listen to many different genres of music from classical to techno(not fan of country, although I listen to some growing up...my dad loves bluegrass.) I'm definitely not a twit, and not like everyone else. Many say I'm very respectful and "proper"...well that's because I was raised that way.

Last edited:
haha, its all about what music you like lol.

Classical music get some peoples blood flowing. I personally listened to losts of MSI and Blood Brothers when i went through that stuff.

I think its the life styles assosciated with the music you identify yourself with the most that most affects you.

BTW thank you to all that have commented on this subject so far. Yall are helping me alot in my contemplation of this subject and adding to my fuel for writing this paper.

Back