sexiest thing ever

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Did you guys name the 92 ?

And there you have it. A-10s DO fire at the ground, they aren't really dog fighters. Each of those bullets costs my paycheck and wasting isn't in their mission report.

well, when the military versions come out they will be called the H-92 Superhawks...

The civil world knows them as the S-92 Helibus

Last edited:
And the S-92S, or HeliShortBus. Reserved for politicians. The grey painted ones are the "H-92SM" or "Marine Helishortbus" with 360 degree pivotting machine gun mounts.

some pics

Attachments

• 0986684.jpg
    0986684.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 1091216.jpg
    1091216.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 0626962.jpg
    0626962.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 0626960.jpg
    0626960.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 0229333.jpg
    0229333.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 141
Now for a phyregod-type answer..

A.
A persistent urban legend is that the recoil force of the Avenger matches that of the A-10's engines and as such the plane would slow down, stall and subsequently crash if the gun was to be fired for long periods of time. Some even add the fanciful notion of the plane beginning to fly backwards. These claims hold little truth. While the cannon does slow the aircraft when flying at high speed, it cannot stop the plane in mid-air.

The recoil force can be calculated by multiplying the muzzle velocity with the mass of the projectiles over one second (force = impulse per time). This gives an approximate recoil force of 30 kN. On the GAU-8/A product homepage the recoil force is stated as 10,000 pounds-force, or about 45 kN. The maximum combined output of the A-10 engines is 80 kN. Hence the recoil force of the gun is slightly more than half of the total thrust of the engines. While this is quite significant, it is not sufficient to stop the aircraft.
However, it can slow the aircraft rapidly and poses a challenge for pilots. When the airplane is moving quickly, it experiences a backward force of aerodynamic drag that is proportional to its speed. Aggressive maneuvering increases drag significantly. During combat flight, the engines must operate near full-throttle just to counteract drag and maintain speed. When the gun recoil force is combined with the drag at 400+ knots, the total backwards force is much more than the combined thrust of the engines, even at full throttle, causing the aircraft to slow down. A-10 pilots report that firing the cannon while moving at high speed feels like "hitting the brakes", even though the engines are automatically pushed to full throttle when the gun is activated. Long bursts from the gun can reduce airspeed enough to cause a stall danger when executing a hard pull up and turn at the end of a strafe. Even if the gun could fire forever the plane would never fall out of the sky — it would simply slow down to a speed where the engine thrust is equal to the gun recoil plus the aerodynamic drag.
Some claims have been made that the A-10 engines are susceptible to flame-out when subjected to gunpowder gases, such that when the GAU-8 firing, the smoke from the gun can make the engines stop. Gun exhaust is essentially oxygen-free, and is certainly capable of causing flame-outs of gas turbines. However, the A-10 is designed so that the gun exhaust passes underneath the fuselage, and never ventures near the high-mounted turbines, even during negative-G maneuvers.

Refrence: GAU-8 Avenger: Information From Answers.com

B. :werd: But the shuttle is a cheater.

C: :werd: again. I just said they were teh sexxxxay!

D: Complete bullshit. The F22 kicks the shit out of the F15 in.... EVERYTHING. Although the F15 is an awesome, very capable plane, it must bow to the F22.

E: Well, nothing to argue there, lol.. Have a nice day :)

hmmm.. i don't really know a lot about fighter jets, but what about the F18? is a POS or what, because no one has mentioned it yet.

f18 = jack of all trades and a master of none.

its good at a lot, but there are quite a few planes that do things a lot better...plus i think its ugly. Im pretty sure the F22 is what is set to replace the f18.

A-10 Max takeoff weight: 50,000 lb (23,000 kg)
-30 to a neg 45 degree dive....with that weight + gravity....- the recoil amount...still no slowing of the aircraft while a normal trained pilot will only do short bursts with the gun. There is not a target big enough to require a long burst. The A-10 didn't have the FADEC, so it's automatic fuel controls were very limited. Only good for auto pilot and go-around. Trust me on this, I was wanting to be a hog pilot when I was in high school...I know more about this plane and that gun than the planes I did work on as a mech. I had the bad eyesight blues in the wrong era.....

There are systems that do give more gas to the engines on certain occasions, such as Vmax for out-running missles with the F-15, or the Go-around switch for other planes..for missed approaches, and even the newer fighters of the present era has the fadec systems, but to say that the A-10 increases engine thrust to counter-act the recoil is possible, it might be a later mod that I haven't heard about, but it's not really an issue to worry about. Aero-dynamics work in only one way....to keep the plane up in the air.

And for the F-22...it doesn't have the munitions capacity that the F-15E has...it sure can out manuver the F-15E in the air, but it can't drop as much as the E can on a raid. The F-22 is set up for more pressision bombs and flight peramiters. The E can drop all day, fly back, laod up with one engine still running, grab some fuel anytime it wants and get back in the fight. The F22 is still not into full production or spread around to as many bases as the F15A-E's are.

Specifications (F-22 Raptor)
F-22 Raptor displaying its F119 engines
Enlarge
F-22 Raptor displaying its F119 engines

Data from USAF[1], F-22 Raptor Team Website[2]
General characteristics

* Crew: 1
* Length: 62 ft 1 in (18.90 m)
* Wingspan: 44 ft 6 in (13.56 m)
* Height: 16 ft 8 in (5.08 m)
* Wing area: 840 ft² (78.04 m²)
* Airfoil: NACA 64A?05.92 root, NACA 64A?04.29 tip
* Empty weight: 40,000 lb (18 000 kg)
* Loaded weight: 60,000 lb (27 216 kg)
* Max takeoff weight: 80,000 lb (36 288 kg)
* Powerplant: 2× Pratt & Whitney F119-PW-100 turbofans, 35,000 lb (155.74 kN) each

Performance

* Maximum speed: >Mach 2.42, 1,600 mph (2570 km/h) at high altitude
* Cruise speed: >Mach 1.72, 1,140 mph (1830 km/h) at high altitude
* Range: ferry 2,000 mi (3200 km)
* Service ceiling: >50,000 ft USAF, 60,000 ft Boeing (>15 000 m, 18 000 m)
* Rate of climb: ft/min[3] (m/s)
* Wing loading: 96 lb/ft² (470 kg/m²)
* Thrust/weight: 1.3~1.41

* Maximum g-load: 9.5 g

Armament

* Guns: 1× M61A2 Vulcan 20 mm Gatling gun with 480 rounds
* Air to air loadout:
o 6× AIM-120 AMRAAM
o 2× AIM-9 Sidewinder
* Air to ground loadout:
o 2× AIM-120 AMRAAM and
o 2× AIM-9 Sidewinder and one of the following:
+ 2× 1,000 lb JDAM or
+ 2× Wind Corrected Munitions Dispensers (WCMDs) or
+ 8× 250 lb GBU-39 Small Diameter Bombs

Note: It is estimated that internal bays can carry about 2,000 lb (907 kg) worth of bombs, and/or missiles. Four external hardpoints can be fitted to carry weapons or fuel tanks, each with a capacity of about 5,000 lb (2267 kg), albeit at the expense of stealth. The armament is still largely classified. Aircraft in this size class since the F-105 have historically met a requirement of carrying maximum external payloads in the range of 14,000-15,000 with combat loads typically closer to 4,000-8,000 lbs

F-15E
Specifications (F-15E Strike Eagle)
General characteristics

* Crew: 2
* Length: 63.8 ft (19.44 m)
* Wingspan: 42.8 ft (13 m)
* Height: 18.5 ft (5.6 m)
* Wing area: 608 ft² (56.5 m²)
* Airfoil: NACA 64A006.6 root, NACA 64A203 tip
* Empty weight: 31,634 lb (14,379 kg)
* Loaded weight: lb (kg)
* Max takeoff weight: 81,000 lb (36,450 kg)
* Powerplant: 2× Pratt & Whitney F100-229 afterburning turbofans, 29,000 lbf (129 kN) each

Performance

* Maximum speed: 1,665 mph (2,698 km/h) (Mach 2.54)
* Range: 2,400 miles (3,900 km)
* Service ceiling: 60,000 ft (18,300 m)
* Rate of climb: 50,000 ft/min (15,000 m/min)
* Wing loading: lb/ft² (kg/m²)

Armament

* Guns: 1x M61 Vulcan 20 mm cannon with 510 rounds of either M-56 or PGU-28 ammunition
* Missiles: 8x AIM-7M Sparrow, AIM-9M Sidewinder, AIM-120 AMRAAM, AGM-65 Maverick, AGM-130, AGM-84 Harpoon, AGM-84K-SLAM-ER, AGM-158 JASSM
* Bombs: Mk-82, Mk-84, B-61, CBU-87 CEM, CBU-89 Gator, CBU-97 SFW, CBU-103 CEM, CBU-104 Gator, CBU-105 SFW, GBU-10 Paveway II, GBU-12 Paveway II, GBU-15, GBU-24, GBU-27, GBU-28, GBU-31, GBU-35, AGM-154 JSOW.

20,000 lbs of the F-22 is weak compared to the 50,000 lbs the f-15e can haul.... :p

And the F-18 is a pussy compaired to the the other two aircraft....it;s only saving grace is the landing gears....deck-top landings takes it's toll on aircraft.

Don't mess with Airjockie when it comes to planes....and helicopters....^_^

Yeah.. its capable, but nothing special. Shorter range, less payload, slower than the F-14/15/16s.. But can attack ground and air targets farily well. Its used as a defensive plane. Not much of an attacker.

The F-22 is set to replace the F-15 as far as I can tell. Although it can better fill the roll of every fighter out there.. Hell, it might replace the 14/15/16/18/117, as it can fill the roll of each.

Although they won't retire the F117 any time soon.. Its far too "new".

P.S. I wouldn't believe the specs on the F-22. Much of that is still classified. As a matter of fact, as of last year the US would not enter the F-22 into any wargames or practices with any other country. Only 1 F22 has been "hit" in practice runs, and it was a sucker punch from the guns of an F-16. Not one other plane has succeeded in downing an F-22 in practice dog-fights. (According to the article, the F-22 had taken out its intended target and was flying back to base when the F-16 got the jump on it. The pilot thought the games were over.)

Last edited:
kinda like saying it's a Yugo and comparing it to Type R.

nothing gets outdated any more. Except he A-10, but hte last few wars it was found to be a valuable asset, so they are keeping them. Hell...ever seen a New H-53?...Ther were the CH-53's, and the MH-53's, and then the MH-53E's...welp...hang onto your seatbelts...cuz there is plans to make the MH-53K's.....an new Giant will be on the block in a few years..... Just the same frame as the normal 53's, but newer engines, better blades, and a fresh cockpit....

This is the only thread in hondaswap history that started lame and suddenly got more intelligent, cooler and more manly to read.

This is the only thread in hondaswap history that started lame and suddenly got more intelligent, cooler and more manly to read.
werd, definitely the first i can remember...

i think thats the only reason it hasn't got locked for threadjacking;)

it also didnt get locked cause the original poster seems to have dropped the ball....and most of the senior community seems to like it.

i am in love with the A-10 :) ever since i was a little kid i've wanted to fly one, but i have bad eyesight, and a problem with my neck/spinal chord that wont allow me to fly.

i just for my Airframe lisense on friday, and i'm working on taking apart dc-9 and 727 APU's for "American Turbo Systems" :)

A-10 ftw!

when you get your powerplant licence and if you want to move and have a decent job...hit me up.

Back