Snow

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

put the good tires up front and learn how to handle oversteer

Well you see, i already can control oversteer. I had a 1985 [gasp] Pontiac Trans Am [/gasp] with a '94 LT1 and a Paxton Supercharger. Thing was all balls and drifted with ease by way of soft sport springs out back and stiffies in the front. I was throwin' the shit sideways long before I knew what drifting was. BTW, I
t-boned a minivan at the end of the summer and bought a 95 civic coupe with the insurance money (it was her fault!!)

SUBARU!!!!!! They own the snow!!!!!

P.S. I plan on buyin' a Scobby
Beater

~timE

that wasnt directd at you or anyone else specificly ... just a general statement

oversteer = MUCH more fun

btw that TA sounds like it was pretty badass (did it have T-tops??? :mullet: j/k)

If I understand correctly, your asking how to control a front wheel SKID, which is what your decribing.....front wheels lose traction and the car goes straight...right?
Actually once you have the fronts slipping your f..ed. The first thing you have to do is get the wheels rolling again by steering in the direction of travel and matching speed of travel with the throttle. Only when the tires have grip can you control the front end.
You then apply as much power as the traction conditions allow. If the fronts break loose before the backs you are never going to achieve any sort of controled power slide. If the rears break loose first apply enough power to PULL the car through the corner while steering in the direction you want to go. If you miscalculate and enter the corner to fast so you can't apply enough power to pull you though the corner without breaking the fronts loose and pushing off the outside of the curve you are again f...ed
the fun is in the learning...but crashing sucks. :p
Pappy

btw that TA sounds like it was pretty badass (did it have T-tops???
Yeah, actually it did, and it was quite badass. Also, the dash lights didn't work, it over-heated every day above 75 degrees and it sucked ass to work on it. It took me a total of three hours to change the #8 spark plug. ->GO HONDA<-

Actually once you have the fronts slipping your f..ed.
Well this is why I'm asking. As far as I know there isnt a way to do it, but I'm havin' alot of fun (and control) with the e-brake. We had 2 feet this weekend and I was able to learn alot. I was doin the speed limit bu the end of last night!
~timE

Originally posted by timEspeed@Dec 8 2003, 01:05 AM
Well this is why I'm asking. As far as I know there isnt a way to do it, but I'm havin' alot of fun (and control) with the e-brake. We had 2 feet this weekend and I was able to learn alot. I was doin the speed limit bu the end of last night!
~timE

Hey Tim we did too...I'm aboutto find out how my new snow tires work...

Jason

Back