The more I talk about bikes...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

The better I feel.

I'm getting really antsy to get this thing.

General advice ? Banter ? Riding stories ?

ooo lets talk about bike bags. I'm interested in the Nelson-Riggs tank bag, but I'm TOTALLY hesitant on the magnetic thing.

I've got that little tail too. Any talk about a good bike bag ?

Lastly I am thinking of fabbing up an "upshift" cantilever. Something I can give a downward motion to upshift.

Lastly I am thinking of fabbing up an "upshift" cantilever. Something I can give a downward motion to upshift.

Dont. Why mess with it?

As far as bags, I purchased an Independent Skater backpack to carry stuff in. Has a pocket for an MP3 player and a pouch that allows a camelbak. Also has holes in the top of the bag to accomodate both. And it looks good. I googled/ebayed for the one I have and cant seem to find a pic of it. It was about $75.00 But it is just right for riding. Had a waist strap on it, padded back that wicked sweat away, pockets on the sides that were just right for holding water bottles. And a detatchable pouch kinda bag that snapped into the back. I think it just detatched so you could strap in your skateboard and then still have an exterior pouch on the back. Not to mention being uber cool because it was Independent gear, and had a biggo logo on the back.

Anyway, I'll google a little longer, see if I can find it.

*edit*
Found this one, same idea, looks just as functional.
49846.jpg

I cant find the indy backpack that I have.. It seems to be a very rare beast. Much nicer than what I can find on the Intardnet. Purchased from a local skate shop.

Last edited:
WEll, the cantilever for shifting will still be there, but the upshift is one of those things that always pissed me off. It's very counter intuitive. To shift up, I feel, you should snap down on the lever, not slip your foot under it and pull it up.

My dad's harley had this thing where you would push down on the back of the lever to shift up - and down on the front of the same lever to shift down. So it was the same motion of the shifter, but either way was a downward motion.

don't mess with it. it will be more work than its worth and if you mess something up, you will void the warranty. i know what you are talking about though. only hard core racers have an actual use for it.

Shit...... I've only known the upshift in riding bikes. Without it, I'd be awkard I believe in my shifting methods.

i wouldn't use a bag unless i was going on a road trip. commuting i just wear a backpack.

Backpacks aren't too great for me at any time. I have a shoulder sling that holds really well. But I can't carry my laptop in it. To use it as a real commuter, I need to bring my laptop with me.

The 1st thing i would do if i was you i would go and take the Motorcycle safety course even if you know how to ride is a good course plus is 15% off the insurance then i would follow the riders RULES:
1. NEVER let anyone else ride your bike and i mean NEVER one crash and you just lost your bike or atleast a couple of grands. .
2. Never push the bike harder and faster than what you can handle.
3. Dont try to show off the asphault hurts "trust me i know"
4. Always wear protective clothing.
5. Always make sure you have enough gas for the trip, pushing a bike is no fun......
I used to teach the safety course for 8yrs and i raced W.E.R.A..

Nice, all of that stuff is at the top of my mentality. I'm not a show-off kind of guy.

As far as loaning it out, My dad, my friend and I hope to get my girlfriend interested in riding as well. That's about it.

As far as the rider course, not only do I get insurance benefits, but the CT state riders test is IMPOSSIBLE to remember. It's really tough. If I take the state class, they teach the road part for about 4 times longer, but they waive the state riding test (I only take the written portion). Also in CT they issue a 3 month seasonal permit with 30 day extensions (Unlimited). My friend has been riding for 3 years like this. It's like a season pass. I'll be getting this permit at first to practice. Also, the CT state classes require you bring your own bike now, so I need something to be able to ride back and forth.

It's a $65-$100 course and it's one day.

yeah i know but it helps alot. and i was just like you when i first started i hope you do good and as far as your friend riding hmmmm thats still a nono for me atleast your dad can pay back if god forbid something was to happend when you own a bike is all about murphys law " whats bound to happend its going to happend" again good luck by the way i have a nice leather jacket im looking to sell.....:) what type of bike you getting?

I'm getting the Ninja 250. See the other thread.

I started two threads because I can't talk enough about bikes now :)

As far as leathers, I have 2 actually nice coats. It's a sheep leather so thick you can hardly bend in it (1920's bomber jackets). And I was going to go with those, but I realised that actual riding gear is far superior. My leather has shielded me from road rash, but the newer jackets also protect against the actual hit on the ground.

nice way to go i just sold my ZX7R 750 it was my 7th bike and i had to sell it.....:( i still have the Ninja breen leather jacket.....anyone else is interested?>

what you are talking about is a quite frequent mod... GP style shifting

if you watch moto gp or most other racing they push down to upshift/up to down shift...
check some ninja boards out to see if theres already a how too

i know some bikes dont even need any permenant modification or aftermarket pieces to do so.

and good choice on getting the 250 to start, and +1000000 to MSF, i took it, and honestly it really is the best place to start the basics

yeah i remember the only problem is when you upgrade to another bike and that bike you cant do the mod and you are used to 1up and 5 down you will have a hard time getting adjusted i know because when i raced GP i had to switch my daily bike to the same as the GP bike.

Back