The price of ownership...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well, time for a new windshield, ball joint, and front struts for the AllTrac...

Windshield- $590.
Ball joint- $184.
Struts- $277 each.

These are Toyota-san's prices.

Local stuff-
Windshield- $247 installed.
Ball joint- $48.
Struts (KYB)- $52 each.

Not too bad, I suppose, but wow, do I miss the $15 brake rotor and $25 shock days when I owned Hondas. :p Oh, and the fact that everyone and their mom makes Honda parts. Try finding parts for an AllTrac! Christ, you'd think I own a Delorian. I don't really want to get rid of the car, and I'm thinking that I'll eventually have to invest in a machine shop to make my own parts. The car is oh so worth it, though. I know I've been up and down on getting rid of it, but hitting 17 PSI and listening to that turbo spool and watching the speedo needle move faster in 5th than your tach moves in 3rd makes it so worth while. :)

It goes from 0 to smackdown faster than Mike Tyson. :p

I ran it in the 1/4 in the fall and manged a 13.3 @ 103 MPH. I've had it up over 160 ONCE. Never again without a different hood. The scoop wants to lift the hood off above 140. Going from 70 to 120 in 5th takes about five seconds. Ask the guys that were at my August meet- it's a highway beast.

Agreed, Hondas are wonderfully cheap to work. Especially the D-series engines. :)

But your All-Trac sounds very nice.

I can attest to the highway performance. The thing annihilated my civic, but it's not like I ever had a chance with a governor around 130 anyways :p

Yeah, quality Toyota mods are about twice the price of Honda stuff.

Try buying routine stuff for a Supra. You'll think they are out to get you.

-> Steve

what kinda rpm's are you cranking out @80 in 5th?

17 psi andf it ought to be a highway beast.....i mean if u can put 17 psi into anything stabily it would be a highway monster and a real fast car for that matter

Originally posted by Celerity@Apr 23 2004, 06:44 PM
Yeah, quality Toyota mods are about twice the price of Honda stuff.

Try buying routine stuff for a Supra. You'll think they are out to get you.

-> Steve

These aren't mods. lol... Simple R&R stuff. And prices for the AllTrac are as much or more than the Supra, simply because the demand is so low (I own a '92, of which only 582 were sold in N.America, and only 2500 between '90 and '93)...

Originally posted by xyswany@Apr 23 2004, 06:59 PM
what kinda rpm's are you cranking out @80 in 5th?

About 3400- 3500.

Here's my ratios:
1st: 3.385
2nd: 1.913
3rd: 1.333
4th: 0.972
5th: 0.731
6th: I wish
FD: 4.285

So, without looking at the resources we have on HS, I think the overall ratios are similar to an Integra LS.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Apr 23 2004, 05:11 PM
It goes from 0 to smackdown faster than Mike Tyson. :p

I ran it in the 1/4 in the fall and manged a 13.3 @ 103 MPH. I've had it up over 160 ONCE. Never again without a different hood. The scoop wants to lift the hood off above 140. Going from 70 to 120 in 5th takes about five seconds. Ask the guys that were at my August meet- it's a highway beast.

and the rear wiper flips up to let you know youre at 120 :lmao:

^^ :bo:

good price for the windshield, the first price was way out -- we picked up a new 240 windshield for 220 installed.

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Apr 25 2004, 05:12 AM

and the rear wiper flips up to let you know youre at 120 :lmao:

LOL! Yeah, I forgot about that.

Here's the pics of the strut install. I tend to not have many pics of my processes, becuase I kinda get into them and forget to take the pics.

DSCN0731.JPG

DSCN0732.JPG

About a year and 30,000 miles ago, I installed Porterfield R4S pads and Brembo blanks in the front. Of that ~30K miles, I've had countless runs up and down Rt. 17, a few amature rallies and rallycrosses, and have towed a 2500 lb trailer about 6500 miles. Here's how they look after all that...

Notice that there's no glazing or cracking on the pad...
DSCN0733.JPG

There's about 60% left on these pads...
DSCN0734.JPG

Notice how there's almost no wear on the rotor, no glazing, and no grooves...
DSCN0735.JPG

On top of all this, they've NEVER warped on me. This is a 3350 lb. car with 11.1" front brakes and wheels that don't breath that well, and the OEM dust shields are still in place, too... I *HIGH* recommend Brembo blanks and R4S pads to ANYONE doing a brake job, regardless if it's a minivan or sports car. The fact that these components have lasted this long, and are still in this good a shape is a testament to their quality.

~2700 RPM in 5th gear...
DSCN0736.JPG

It's mounted upside down for a reason. They sit so low on in the center console that the bezel blocks out the important part of the range, so I put 'em in upside down to see them better. It took about 30 minutes to get used to.

Back