the smoking bans and business

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

As to loss of business as a result of smoking bans, i can honestly say we havn't really seen any at my family's resturant. I mean initially a few old people grumbled (my grandfather among them), but eventually they got over it. I mean they still have to eat, right? While it was good for employees, the ban was good for the establishment as well. Our smoking area was up front with the bar and the walls (white) would always have to be meticulously cleaned then repainted because the smoke +grease in the air would do a good job of making them yellow.
As a youth it was a boon for me not to have to deal with smoke, and while we could have simply declared no smoking of our own volition, that would have ensured a loss of business. I think the statewide ban was a necessity because it put the inevitable bad feelings on the state, not the business owners.
As to bars, its hard for me to say anything. I've been to a bar once, and even then the bartender gave a guy an ash tray and told him to sit at a table away from everyone when he wanted to smoke. Of course i could still smell it, but i was too preoccupied with getting drunk to worry about carcinogens. Though i dont really think its a big deal to have to smoke outside. I mean inevitably those who may not want to be around your smoke will suffer through it at one time or another, which is both unpleasant and dangerous (in regards to cancer). I think an analogous situation would be with a chain farter. Would you prefer (as an employee or customer) that some guy farting up a storm go outside to do his thing, or would you prefer to sit near him and deal with that unpleasantry? It would be nice if the government didnt have to mandate smoking to be outdoors, but its obvious that smokers are not going to, of their own volition, not force us to suffer through their smoke, hence the necessity for it being a law.

Fuck that, keep the government out of it, if you don't don't like it stay inside.

Funny how people think the government should stay out of peoples business, that is until it becomes something that inconveinces them.

we have to understand that we are not the only ones that live and breathe in this "great country"....and we must think about others. on the other hand we can choose not to eat at that restaurant that lets people smoke...i believe the government went too far...just like they decided to make other laws....we have to live with it...or leave

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Dec 29 2004, 08:56 AM
Funny how people think the government should stay out of peoples business, that is until it becomes something that inconveinces them.
[post=438626]Quoted post[/post]​

now that is true. but i still like the smoking bans :)

Smoking sections are a joke. I go into a place and the smoking section is just a line basicly seperating the non from the smoking. Even if your on the other side of the room, you still smell like smoke. For smokers, its no big deal, but it does effect eveyone in there. Its just like the old saying goes, would you go to a pool that had a peeing section?

I wholly support smoking bans :D . Finally some common sense shown by local governments. Why should the minority (face it, smokers are the minority) pollute and stink the air of the majority? Imagine I had the bad habit of smelling gasoline. I imagine a few people in many places would have something to say about that. I don't care an iota what smokers do to their bodies (Smoking cures cancer. Wait, isn't it the other way around?). I have something to say about their polluting mine and my families' air :angry: . We, therefore, support smoking bans. As for the business losing money, I can't see how a few complaining business is a fair and representative sample of the entire business community. Restaurants, like many other businesses do go out of business. Bad food :( , poor managements, the job market, location, blah, blah, are justa few factors that affect a restaurant's financial health. To blame it all on the smoking ban is a simplistic and shallow conclusion. My $0.02

Right, it's a two way street, unless it's your street right?

Why shouldn't people have the right to smoke if the owner of the establishment has condoned it?

Hell we should could ban diesel trucks, they pollute like sons of bitchs and stink up not only inclosed spaces, but outside air as well, but that would be inconveinent because then how would consumers get their goods? Or how about the oil refineries that dot my towns landscape? Those bastards reek, and pour smoke 24/7, but there aren't a bunch of nazis trying to ban them, oh, but that's right, it doesn't directlky affect them, they don't have to smell it, it's the poor neighborhoods around them that do.

diesel truck banning is being talked about in ca, but lets face it there is no other way as of right now that can replace it. millions will be lost if that stops. are way life is set up that we need tho's trucks to have everydays thing we need and want. with out trucks you wont get your stupid fucking cancer sticks

something has to be done but pollution though

the way we are currently going, by the end of this century its completely plausible and probable that the polar ice caps will have completely melted.

and if that happens there will be no more california.

sea level is expected to rise from 30 to 100 feet, depending on how close you are to the equator, pretty much all coastal areas and most islands would disappear.

right now there is land in greenland that is seeing sun for the first time in a million years from where thousands of acres of glaciers have melted away.

Originally posted by micah@Dec 30 2004, 10:55 AM
something has to be done but pollution though

the way we are currently going, by the end of this century its completely plausible and probable that the polar ice caps will have completely melted.

and if that happens there will be no more california.

sea level is expected to rise from 30 to 100 feet, depending on how close you are to the equator, pretty much all coastal areas and most islands would disappear.

right now there is land in greenland that is seeing sun for the first time in a million years from where thousands of acres of glaciers have melted away.
[post=439155]Quoted post[/post]​

I hope that there will a better way with in the next 20 years

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Dec 30 2004, 05:42 PM
with out trucks you wont get your stupid fucking cancer sticks
[post=439145]Quoted post[/post]​

Sure I would, people still get cocaine and it is illegal, so you think that the flow of a more lucritive, domestic, popular drug would stop? Or I could grow my own. Shit, if I have to quit smoking than I don't want to see thousands of fatass is McDonalds, or smell that nasty shit cooking, it offends me, and since the numbers of those that die from obesity, and quickly catching up to lung cancer in general, maybe the crusaders for a better tomorrow should get thier priorities straight, oh but wait, that doesn't affect them.

the differences are, you cant get fat just by sitting next to someone who is eating mcdonalds.

you CAN get cancer from sitting next to someone smoking.

i dont have any problems with smokers, imo people can do whatever the fuck they want. at least have the common curtesy to respect the choices of others around you not to smoke.

its like going to a friends house that doesnt smoke. alot of people would have no problem going outside to smoke there cigarette because they respect the fact there friend doesnt smoke and doesnt want the smoke in his house. its no dif in a public place. the people who dont care are just selfish asshats.

its all about respect and common curtesy

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Dec 28 2004, 06:55 PM
But bars? I mean, come on. One could argue that the smell of liquor is offensive. I don't know, it just makes me mad that people could willfully damage the economy in such a way.
[post=438388]Quoted post[/post]​

thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard in my life, maybe even dumber then things Bush has said......smelling liquor can't harm your body, 2nd hand smoke can...this isn't a matter of being offensive, its a health issue and i should have the right not to be breathing in posion that could potentially kill me prematurely because some fuckwad wants to kill himself with cigarettes/cigars.......A bar is a licensed entity, which by law, can serve alcohol, hense i have no right to complain about the smell of it

And damage the economy? So yeah, lets kil people because the local bar wants to stay in business? That just goes to show where your values lye

Yeah, it was pretty stupid. It's just that the economy is so shitty here it's unbelievable that people would knowingly do anything to damage it further. I live in the most recessed county in the most recessed state, FYI. Plus, the blinding wisdom tooth pain was clouding my better judgment.

and how is this damaging the economy? oh wait, its not.

Originally posted by corvetteguy@Dec 30 2004, 02:51 PM
thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard in my life, maybe even dumber then things Bush has said......smelling liquor can't harm your body, 2nd hand smoke can...this isn't a matter of being offensive, its a health issue and i should have the right not to be breathing in posion that could potentially kill me prematurely because some fuckwad wants to kill himself with cigarettes/cigars......
[post=439224]Quoted post[/post]​

all this coming frmo the man who doesn't smoke but came on most of our cigarette breaks outside. lol

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Dec 30 2004, 11:42 AM
diesel truck banning is being talked about in ca, but lets face it there is no other way as of right now that can replace it. millions will be lost if that stops. are way life is set up that we need tho's trucks to have everydays thing we need and want. with out trucks you wont get your stupid fucking cancer sticks
[post=439145]Quoted post[/post]​

You've got the rails, you've got the skies. Sure trains are diesel powered but one diesel loco can pull 50 to 100 times what a tractor trailer can. From the yards you can use smaller, cleaner trucks to transport the goods to wherever their final destination.

I agree, diesels should be nixed, or at least move them to biodiesel or veggie. Aint nothing like a city bus or truck belching that black number 2 smoke while I am driving behind it.

I'd die quicker breathing that shit than I would smoking.

Getting to that, there is no need to ban cigarette smoking. Cigar smoking should be taken outside (hell, I smoke cloves, bars lump me with the cigar guys). But come on, with a properly ventilated area there should be no problem.

Ban smoking at bars?! Holy hell now you're pissing people off. You don't like the smoke at bars? Drink at home. End of discussion.

I just wanted to add that I me and rachelle went to Tias tex mex tonight at about 7pm
we had a 30 min wait while the others behind us had up to a 1 hour wait.

They sat us next to the smoking section. I found it funny that even with a 1 hour wait there was not one person sitting in the smoking section.

On another note some of the diners I go to have smoking sections that are closed off by a big glass wall. Even if you sit right next to the smoking section there's still a big ass glass wall between the two sections. when it's clean you can't even tell it's there.

I've also seen a few clubs/bars with setups where the smoking area is away from the main floor and it does wonders.

Back